Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Making The Law of Attraction Actually Work

XenoFish

16 minutes ago, Habitat said:

No good wasting time trying to succeed at something if it isn't a realistic prospect, though.

Guess you didn't notice where I've frequently mentioned "keep it realistic" or "ground". 

7 minutes ago, Tatetopa said:

Rabid, I don't think the universe gives you anything.  You choose what to take from what is available.  If you are smart and work hard, you get more and better choices.

When people say "Law of Attraction"  it becomes this magic woo thing separate from everyday common sense and life.  The laws of physics are not magic, understanding how the universe works gives you an advantage, but the universe doesn't magically roll over on its back so you can scratch its belly.  Understanding how your mind works also gives you great advantage.

Add the Law of Attraction into your toolkit

Along side it, remember The Law of cleaning your fingernails and combing your hair before a job interview.  It may not magic the interviewer, but improves your chances of getting a job

Don't forget the Law of wearing clean clothes and brushing your teeth before a first date.  Again, won't magic your partner, but might make a good impression.

Follow it up with the Law of cleaning up your room and taking out the trash. You will be surprised how much happier you become when there is less clutter in your life.

A wise man once told me about the Law of preparing for important tests and not drinking too much the night before or showing up late for the exam.  That law is awesome.  Every time I followed it, I did better on a test tan when I disobeyed it. That's the amazing structure of the universe and the power you tap into by following those laws.

Pretty much. A lot of times it comes down to the little habits. 

Edited by XenoFish
  • Like 4

Just now, XenoFish said:

Guess you did notice where I've frequently mentioned "keep it realistic" or "ground". 

Maybe I just can't get out of my mind that business of you trying to summon spirits for 20 years. And I'm not saying you did it with some ignoble intention, but that does seem a pretty good case of persistence beyond reasonable expectation of success.

"Your thread" ? Don't be so proprietorial. In any case, your judgement of value is your own, others may disagree.

I think all but the damned know that magic does not work, otherwise magicians would simply make money appear for their own use, and would not need to sell tickets to the show. So really, Law Of Attraction guff is pitched at people who are not over-endowed with accurate perception of how the world works (I'd rather say that than "brainless"), and is really just the selling of an illusion. People are always up for quick and easy fix, but those are hard in the finding.

I really wish you'd pay attention to the thread your posting in. I made it clear that you can't have something for nothing. Pay attention, because it looks like you're here to just troll. 

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, XenoFish said:

I really wish you'd pay attention to the thread your posting in. I made it clear that you can't have something for nothing. Pay attention, because it looks like you're here to just troll. 

I think it is just common sense, that is what I'm saying, if you need to have someone to spoon-feed you a formula, a five-point plan or anything like that, you are already off a handicap.

Edited by Habitat

1 hour ago, Habitat said:

The very plan championed by Wile E Coyote ! One begins to see the limitations of such formulae.

There are times when one needs to step back and analyze what it is they want and why and draw a conclusion as to whether or not it is feasibly possible.  This is where planning and positive focus come into play to work toward success. 

Wile E Coyote...does not have a viable desire...as a dog chases it's own tail, Wile E Coyote is chasing a dream that he has no way to really fulfill...therefore,  none of the plans he makes, regardless of the time and effort put into them will lead to success.  He is chasing a dream.  

In real life many of us also fall into the Wile E Coyote trap of chasing a dream that cannot be fulfilled.  Usually it is based on pure Ego.  One has to from time to time, evaluate what it is one wants...to avoid that trap.  

A more succinct way of stating the above has already been mentioned:

2 hours ago, XenoFish said:

focusing only on the positive can lead to poor decision making. The best way would be to keep it all grounded. As realistic as possible. You want to change something, the first thing you'll have to do is fully acknowledge it. Then figure out how to improve it. By spending time thinking about what you want to achieve and taking steps in achieving it is far better than wishful thinking. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, RabidMongoose said:

Yes, that is correct, you dont know what you`re going on about.

I have been living exactly what Xenofish is talking about for the last 35 years...he knows what he is talking about!  You therefore must be telling me that I don't know what I am talking about as well.  Good luck with that! 

• Like 2

Sitting around wishing you were happy is one thing. Doing stuff that you enjoy is another. It's the difference between wishing and willing. 

• Like 1

And there is nothing wrong with being "unhappy" now and again. It gives us a motive to re-assess.

33 minutes ago, Habitat said:

And there is nothing wrong with being "unhappy" now and again. It gives us a motive to re-assess.

Actually, there is something wrong with being 'unhappy' now and again.  

12 minutes ago, joc said:

Actually, there is something wrong with being 'unhappy' now and again.  

I don't think so, you need contrast to see anything clearly, and you appreciate feeling well for example, after having been sick, more than you would if never sick.  I don't think too many people can regard all adverse happenings with equanimity, if nothing can make you unhappy, I'd say nothing could make you happy, either, you'd be a robot. These are two sides of one coin.

Edited by Habitat

20 minutes ago, Habitat said:

I don't think so, you need contrast to see anything clearly, and you appreciate feeling well for example, after having been sick, more than you would if never sick.  I don't think too many people can regard all adverse happenings with equanimity, if nothing can make you unhappy, I'd say nothing could make you happy, either, you'd be a robot. These are two sides of one coin.

You are more than entitled to your opinion...but happiness is not a state of affairs.  Happiness is a state of mind.  And so consequently, Unhappiness is also a state of mind.  If one's mind is unsettled and therefore unhappy...it is not a side of a coin...it is a state of mind.

With that being said, it is not so important what happens to us...it is ultimately most important how we think about the things that happen to us.  If we approach the things that happen to us in life with a positive but grounded approach, then we see the actual reality...and reality is reality...it is neither happy nor unhappy...we choose the state of mind with which we view those things.  That is all.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Habitat said:

I think it is just common sense, that is what I'm saying, if you need to have someone to spoon-feed you a formula, a five-point plan or anything like that, you are already off a handicap.

But you don't think it is common sense.  You are not paying attention to the thread.  You throw a wrench in at every turn of the wheel.  And it is not common sense.

Look around you Habitat...look in the mirror maybe...people do not know instinctively how to think.  We as humans are taught to think....or we are not taught to think...which is by far more the common experience.   Many of us, if we learn to think at all, learn it by trial and error, and mostly error.  It is when the 'error' of life is no longer acceptable that we make changes.  Many don't have a road map.  This thread serves as that...if you are far superior to the philosophy being discussed...please go elsewhere.

2 hours ago, joc said:

Many don't have a road map.  This thread serves as that

God help them, joc. 

5 hours ago, XenoFish said:

Sitting around wishing you were happy is one thing. Doing stuff that you enjoy is another. It's the difference between wishing and willing. 

Try wishing you were unhappy, and get up and change your environment so the law of attraction can bring the new stuff to you.

• Confused 1

3 hours ago, joc said:

But you don't think it is common sense.  You are not paying attention to the thread.  You throw a wrench in at every turn of the wheel.  And it is not common sense.

Look around you Habitat...look in the mirror maybe...people do not know instinctively how to think.  We as humans are taught to think....or we are not taught to think...which is by far more the common experience.   Many of us, if we learn to think at all, learn it by trial and error, and mostly error.  It is when the 'error' of life is no longer acceptable that we make changes.  Many don't have a road map.  This thread serves as that...if you are far superior to the philosophy being discussed...please go elsewhere.

Look, its obvious you are not happy with what you have in life.

So want the polar opposite instead of what you are currently wanting.

Edited by RabidMongoose

25 minutes ago, RabidMongoose said:

Try wishing you were unhappy, and get up and change your environment so the law of attraction can bring the new stuff to you.

That's called depression. It gets you nowhere. 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, RabidMongoose said:

Look, its obvious you are not happy with what you have in life.

So want the polar opposite instead of what you are currently wanting.

What's obvious is that you have no idea what  you are even bantering on about.  Why even bother RM?  Instead of attempting to derail...why not make an attempt to understand?  Because it is a secret....that's why.  There are those who get it and those who don't...but will... if and when they ever open their eyes to the real world of the human psyche.  

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, joc said:

What's obvious is that you have no idea what  you are even bantering on about.  Why even bother RM?  Instead of attempting to derail...why not make an attempt to understand?  Because it is a secret....that's why.  There are those who get it and those who don't...but will... if and when they ever open their eyes to the real world of the human psyche.  

It's all about changing those subconscious programs that run 95% of our lives. 

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Habitat said:

God help them, joc. 

....and I place you among the...them

In fact Habitat, only about 2% of the population are going to be successful.   It isn't that the other 98% are less intelligent...it is more that they give up when their plans don't work out right.  Quitting before reaching success in any undertaking is the default Human Nature.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, joc said:

....and I place you among the...them

In fact Habitat, only about 2% of the population are going to be successful.   It isn't that the other 98% are less intelligent...it is more that they give up when their plans don't work out right.  Quitting before reaching success in any undertaking is the default Human Nature.  

It also depends on what success means to them. Not everyone wants to be famous, rich, etc. Success might be just losing a little weight, having a positive bank balance, or even a better attitude. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, XenoFish said:

It's all about changing those subconscious programs that run 95% of our lives. 

In fact...it is just that!  

We all have desire.   The Human Default is toward the Subconscious Negative.   The greatest way I have found to change those subconscious programs is to make changes to the conscious words we use every day.   Deleting the n't in our vocabulary and thoughts is an excellent place to start.  

• Thanks 1

The thing is I'm basically trying to help people, because I can. I'm not here to sell hype. To give anyone the illusion that if they follow my "12 Step Course" they'll have a Ferrari in the garage. No positive thinking scam, no wishful thinking nonsense. If you have a goal, find a trick to get your head in the right place and create a path you can follow. This is more based on my everyday life than anything. Everyday is a goal setting effort for me. I have task A to do, how will I get it done and how soon. That's it, plain and simple. 

• Thanks 1