Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Making The Law of Attraction Actually Work

XenoFish

2 minutes ago, XenoFish said:

It also depends on what success means to them. Not everyone wants to be famous, rich, etc. Success might be just losing a little weight, having a positive bank balance, or even a better attitude. 

Ha!  I am still working on that positive bank balance thing! 

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, joc said:

In fact...it is just that!  

We all have desire.   The Human Default is toward the Subconscious Negative.   The greatest way I have found to change those subconscious programs is to make changes to the conscious words we use every day.   Deleting the n't in our vocabulary and thoughts is an excellent place to start.  

Like taking a few index cards and writing definitive statements on them. Placing them where you'll see them each day and repeat them till it sticks. It takes time and a lot of consistent effort. Certain statements will need real world actions to further reinforce a behavioral change.

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, joc said:

Ha!  I am still working on that positive bank balance thing! 

So am I, but I'll get there. Takes planning. To be honest what isn't a work in progress.:lol:

• Haha 1

The thing about my past occult practices is that I learned there is no "Something for nothing". I also learned that the techniques were basically just affirmations and self-hypnosis. Yet this leaves everything open to confirmation bias and self-fulfilling prophecy. All I did was apply what Think and Grow Rich taught.

Visualize-Affirm-Act-Repeat

If you take a look at the Hicks version it leaves Action out. 

7 minutes ago, XenoFish said:

The thing is I'm basically trying to help people, because I can. I'm not here to sell hype. To give anyone the illusion that if they follow my "12 Step Course" they'll have a Ferrari in the garage. No positive thinking scam, no wishful thinking nonsense. If you have a goal, find a trick to get your head in the right place and create a path you can follow. This is more based on my everyday life than anything. Everyday is a goal setting effort for me. I have task A to do, how will I get it done and how soon. That's it, plain and simple. 

:yes:

Whether you want a Ferrari in the garage and you don't even have a job...or you just want the damn lawn mowed before all your peeps come, and your lawn mower won't start...the thought process is exactly the same.   

• Like 1

You may have to find tricks to motivate you. One that I like is Mel Robbins 5 Second Rule. Which is stupidly simple. To put it simple, when you're laying in bed, procrastination about getting up and doing stuff..5...4...3...2...1...GO! 

It's a trigger. As soon as you get to GO! you get up and get started. It actually works if you make the effort. Eventually it becomes a conditioned response. I don't want to wash dishes..5.4.3.2.1. GO! start washing dishes, etc. 

Yep I might sound like a self-help guru or a motivational speaker, considering that I read more books like that than occult text, perhaps I am. But I won't sell someone bs. 

13 minutes ago, XenoFish said:

Like taking a few index cards and writing definitive statements on them. Placing them where you'll see them each day and repeat them till it sticks. It takes time and a lot of consistent effort. Certain statements will need real world actions to further reinforce a behavioral change.

I use to write definitive statements on sticky notes...they pretty much covered all the walls in my apartment.  Everywhere I turned there was a positive affirmation of some kind.  Eventually, it became a habit to think positive and the sticky notes just kind of disappeared.  

Just now, joc said:

:yes:

Whether you want a Ferrari in the garage and you don't even have a job...or you just want the damn lawn mowed before all your peeps come, and your lawn mower won't start...the thought process is exactly the same.   

You can revel in fantasy are you can make something great in life. I got sick of being depressed, I hated it, how it felt. The misery of it all. So I spend the past several months reprogramming my mind and acting in accordance to my wish. I've had fewer and fewer bad days. They still happen, probably will always happen. I'm just changing how I see things. I'm not all happy kitty cats and rainbow unicorns either.:lol:

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Just now, joc said:

Eventually, it became a habit to think positive and the sticky notes just kind of disappeared.  

This works the same way with goals, eventually the actions become habit and the reminder useless. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Just now, XenoFish said:

You can revel in fantasy are you can make something great in life. I got sick of being depressed, I hated it, how it felt. The misery of it all. So I spend the past several months reprogramming my mind and acting in accordance to my wish. I've had fewer and fewer bad days. They still happen, probably will always happen. I'm just changing how I see things. I'm not all happy kitty cats and rainbow unicorns either.:lol:

What I have found to be true is that success makes me happy.  Whatever that undertaking happens to be...I can say...hey! I did that! Yes!  I mowed that damn lawn!  Of course the reality is that in order to do that I had to fix the flat on my riding lawnmower and it took me several hours to figure out how to do that. The first thing I tried didn't work, and the second great idea failed as well, there were in fact hours worth of failures along the way...but...I fixed the flat!  I found real happiness in that...ecstatic even!  On the way, I cursed alot...and hurt my finger twice...but the lawn got mowed...which meant...I was successful...and success brings happiness, no matter the undertaking large or small.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, joc said:

What I have found to be true is that success makes me happy.  Whatever that undertaking happens to be...I can say...hey! I did that! Yes!  I mowed that damn lawn!  Of course the reality is that in order to do that I had to fix the flat on my riding lawnmower and it took me several hours to figure out how to do that. The first thing I tried didn't work, and the second great idea failed as well, there were in fact hours worth of failures along the way...but...I fixed the flat!  I found real happiness in that...ecstatic even!  On the way, I cursed alot...and hurt my finger twice...but the lawn got mowed...which meant...I was successful...and success brings happiness, no matter the undertaking large or small.

Happiness isn't a goal, it's a result. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I knew a bloke that used to read those how-to-get-rich type books, eventually he did become moderately wealthy, but his wife walked away with most of that in the divorce. Life is just not reducible to the sort of simplicity that sees simple formulas work.

3 hours ago, Habitat said:

I knew a bloke that used to read those how-to-get-rich type books, eventually he did become moderately wealthy, but his wife walked away with most of that in the divorce. Life is just not reducible to the sort of simplicity that sees simple formulas work.

This thread is not about how-to-get-rich books.  It has nothing to do with how to get rich!  

• Like 3

11 hours ago, XenoFish said:

The thing about my past occult practices is that I learned there is no "Something for nothing". I also learned that the techniques were basically just affirmations and self-hypnosis. Yet this leaves everything open to confirmation bias and self-fulfilling prophecy. All I did was apply what Think and Grow Rich taught.

Visualize-Affirm-Act-Repeat

If you take a look at the Hicks version it leaves Action out. 

nothing wrong with being positive. and if visualisation or the law of attraction gets you there then its magic.  

9 hours ago, joc said:

This thread is not about how-to-get-rich books.  It has nothing to do with how to get rich!  

I think material success is definitely something that is sought after joc, and by means such as described in this thread. As the OP says....."The methods I have mentioned have there roots in Think and Grow Rich"

4 hours ago, Habitat said:

I think material success is definitely something that is sought after joc, and by means such as described in this thread. As the OP says....."The methods I have mentioned have there roots in Think and Grow Rich"

Have you ever read Napoleon Hill's masterpiece?   I have.  Practically every sentence in my original copy is underlined.  I didn't just read it Habitat...I memorized it.  So trust me when I say you don't know what you are even talking about.  You have absolutely no clue.  But...perhaps this could be a turning point in your own life.  Grab a copy at a library or your local bookstore...read the first chapter...then we might have something to discuss!

A friend of mine who teaches a local college business class asked me if I would speak to his class.  I said I would.  I'd never spoken in a public forum before.  I spoke for an hour and a half...and at the end of my talking I gave each student a signed copy of Napoleon Hill's, Think and Grow Rich.   

If I have anything at all to thank for all the successes in my life...it is that book.  You know not of what you speak! :)

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, joc said:

Have you ever read Napoleon Hill's masterpiece?   I have.  Practically every sentence in my original copy is underlined.  I didn't just read it Habitat...I memorized it.  So trust me when I say you don't know what you are even talking about.  You have absolutely no clue.  But...perhaps this could be a turning point in your own life.  Grab a copy at a library or your local bookstore...read the first chapter...then we might have something to discuss!

A friend of mine who teaches a local college business class asked me if I would speak to his class.  I said I would.  I'd never spoken in a public forum before.  I spoke for an hour and a half...and at the end of my talking I gave each student a signed copy of Napoleon Hill's, Think and Grow Rich.   

If I have anything at all to thank for all the successes in my life...it is that book.  You know not of what you speak! :)

We've got more in common than I thought. I've got a hardback copy of the book. As well as three knock off and the essential guide to the law of attraction (ugh, I can barely make it through it). Eventually you put down the books and do stuff. The 5 Second Rule by Mel Robbins is fairly good. Although the whole "rule" can be summed up in a few short paragraphs. Most of the book is just filler. 

Edited by XenoFish
  • Thanks 1

When I spoke to that class for an hour and a half...I had no notes...no podium...I just stood there in front and talked about the incredible philosophy of Think and Grow Rich and how it changed my life from the moment I started reading it.  So yeah...we do have a bit in common!  I started out by telling the class, I am successful at everything I do!  After I finished, one girl put up her hand and said, You should write a book...you should call it, I am Successful at Everything I Do.  I had basically just spent 90 minutes talking about all of the failures that I had experienced and do experience everyday and how not giving up when Failure happens in the plan always leads to a successful outcome. I haven't read any other books.  Napoleon Hill made it his life's work to understand why some people are successful while others aren't.  I think he was successful in completely figuring it out.   

• Like 2

God is both good and evil.

Please bear in mind when I say that, the universe has come from him and contains both good and evil. Therefore God must contain both qualities within itself. People with a bias towards being good or evil are at odds with Gods plan for us. We are to become like God by gaining wisdom of good and evil (not one or the other).

There are both light and dark forces at work in the universe to force us along the correct path. Those forces break us down by destroying our egos, causing us despair, and making us suffer. We are forced to the middle path and to progress along it whether we want to or not.

God does not care whether we believe in him or not, this work gets done on us regardless. There is no escaping it but what we can do with our knowledge of what is going on is make the journey as easy for ourselves as we can. The more we resist the more we get punished to break us down.

Mr XenoFish you are off course. My advice to fix you life is a plan for improving things (but not the type you are thinking off). At the very minimum aim to do one really nice thing to someone everyday, and one exceptionally mean thing. Enjoy both.

For doing both you will get rewarded by God, for doing neither you get punished, for doing one rather than the other you get punished. Doing both (gaining wisdom of good and evil) allows you to navigate through the multiverse along the path that gets you to the destination God has intended for you. It is a path full of pleasure and delight for you.

Edited by RabidMongoose

1 hour ago, RabidMongoose said:

God is both good and evil.

Please bear in mind when I say that, the universe has come from him and contains both good and evil. Therefore God must contain both qualities within itself. People with a bias towards being good or evil are at odds with Gods plan for us. We are to become like God by gaining wisdom of good and evil (not one or the other).

There are both light and dark forces at work in the universe to force us along the correct path. Those forces break us down by destroying our egos, causing us despair, and making us suffer. We are forced to the middle path and to progress along it whether we want to or not.

God does not care whether we believe in him or not, this work gets done on us regardless. There is no escaping it but what we can do with our knowledge of what is going on is make the journey as easy for ourselves as we can. The more we resist the more we get punished to break us down.

Mr XenoFish you are off course. My advice to fix you life is a plan for improving things (but not the type you are thinking off). At the very minimum aim to do one really nice thing to someone everyday, and one exceptionally mean thing. Enjoy both.

For doing both you will get rewarded by God, for doing neither you get punished, for doing one rather than the other you get punished. Doing both (gaining wisdom of good and evil) allows you to navigate through the multiverse along the path that gets you to the destination God has intended for you. It is a path full of pleasure and delight for you.

Actually I don’t see this as a religious post, take out god and leave it at universe and this post is in in direct line with how to make the law of attraction work for you.

but if we are to consider a god of the highest order to have been responsible for creation, said God would have to be held responsible for all evil and righteousness. 

i kinda like your theory here and I like how it needs no direct governance from an outside source. It fits in with what I have witnessed in my life and those around me. People create feedback loops and keep getting more of what they obviously don’t want, and vice versa. 

I wanted to discuss this more in depth with you in your own post Rabid, but you never replied to me. Perhaps I’m in the expectation of being ignored? Or perhaps you thought I was being cynical?

for the pushers of plan your work and work your plan, ever heard of Murphy’s Law?

20 minutes ago, Wes83 said:

Actually I don’t see this as a religious post, take out god and leave it at universe and this post is in in direct line with how to make the law of attraction work for you.

but if we are to consider a god of the highest order to have been responsible for creation, said God would have to be held responsible for all evil and righteousness. 

i kinda like your theory here and I like how it needs no direct governance from an outside source. It fits in with what I have witnessed in my life and those around me. People create feedback loops and keep getting more of what they obviously don’t want, and vice versa. 

I wanted to discuss this more in depth with you in your own post Rabid, but you never replied to me. Perhaps I’m in the expectation of being ignored? Or perhaps you thought I was being cynical?

for the pushers of plan your work and work your plan, ever heard of Murphy’s Law?

I probably at work when you replied, no offence.

Can I just ask of those that are convinced of the reality of the Law of Attraction...

How would you explain it to ordinary people in, say, Venezuela, South Sudan or Syria?

7 hours ago, Peter B said:

Can I just ask of those that are convinced of the reality of the Law of Attraction...

How would you explain it to ordinary people in, say, Venezuela, South Sudan or Syria?

Depends on which framework you're going with. A lot of the views on that is they "attracted" what they wanted, be it negative or positive. However what I'm talking about doesn't factor that it. It's basically just goal setting. 

Edited by XenoFish

If you club them first dont club them too hard though ;-) this work for both sexes :-p

Edited by Impedancer