Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -
Sign in to follow this  
Still Waters

Hurricane Michael upgraded to rare Category 5

Still Waters

Hurricane Michael, which devastated a swath of the Florida Panhandle last fall, has been upgraded to a Category 5 storm, only the fourth to make recorded landfall in the United States and the first since 1992.

The announcement by the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration on Friday came as no surprise to those still struggling to recover from the storm's destruction.

"My thought is simply that most of us thought we were dealing with a (Category) 5 anyway," said Al Cathey, mayor of Mexico Beach, which bore the brunt of the storm when it hit.

https://phys.org/news/2019-04-hurricane-michael-rare-category-status.html

Related:

https://www.unexplained-mysteries.com/forum/topic/322212-hurricane-michael-at-your-service/

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

and then

I lived through the most frightening night of my life in September of 1979 when a Cat 3 storm eye passed right over our neighborhood.  I'll never forget the sound of the wind.  It was like a living thing.  After hearing about a dozen tornados pass around us, I was kind of in shock.  When you hear the typical post-storm interview where the survivor talks about it sounding like a train coming and then passing by, that's EXACTLY what it sounds like.  I live about ten miles from the coast and about 50ft above sea level and even though water kills far more people than wind in hurricanes, a Cat 5 on the way will have me fleeing well in advance.  No way I want to experience THAT :( 

• Like 3