Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Machines made from DNA show signs of LIFE

marsman

Machines have been made from DNA which are capable of three key things needed to be considered 'alive'.  

Scientists on the project say the 'lifelike' materials are capable of metabolism, assembly and self-organisation.  

The material has been seen to multiply in the same way as DNA in a cell and the ability to self-replicate is similar to early genetic material found on Earth.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencetech/article-6915787/Lifelike-machines-DNA-signs-LIFE.html

• Like 4

I'd have to see a actual paper from Cornell. There's a lot wrong with the biology in this video as with certain advancements in manipulating DNA. 

In a nutshell, if they could do this. They could possibly cure cancer. 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, sci-nerd said:

The Title of this thread is rather disingenuous,

Our biomaterial powered by artificial metabolism is an important step toward the creation of “artificial” biological systems with dynamic, life-like capabilities.

It's simply a step towards life like capability.

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, sci-nerd said:

So it's using regeneration-degeneration as a form of locomotion. 

Just like molds. 

Don't see a practical application unless you want a trail of slime following behind your robot. 

3 minutes ago, danydandan said:

A step up from the basement. :lol:

4 minutes ago, danydandan said:

Yeah, but we're used to it. That's why we always research stuff, instead of taking any thread's claim for granted.

7 minutes ago, danydandan said:

3 minutes ago, Piney said:

So it's using regeneration-degeneration as a form of locomotion. 

Just like molds. 

Don't see a practical application unless you want a trail of slime following behind your robot. 

A step up from the basement. :lol:

I see it as a step closer to understanding how "genesis" happened. Does it get any bigger?

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, sci-nerd said:

I see it as a step closer to understanding how "genesis" happened. Does it get any bigger?

We already determined that.

I find creating artificial life a little morally disturbing though.........Maybe a bias created by my Native upbringing? 

• Like 2

I wish people would actually research and at least read the papers these articles are based upon, prior to posting the link from the tabloid newspaper.

Where is @Emma_Acid we need a science communication's expert.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Piney said:

We already determined that.

We have one or more hypothesis about it, but no smoking gun. This is starting to smell like gunpowder.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, sci-nerd said:

We have one or more hypothesis about it, but no smoking gun. This is starting to smell like gunpowder.

True! :tu:

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, danydandan said:

I wish people would actually research and at least read the papers these articles are based upon, prior to posting the link from the tabloid newspaper.

Where is @Emma_Acid we need a science communication's expert.

I mean even the professor involved has been quoted as saying "we have not made something that is alive".

Edited by Emma_Acid
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 2

12 minutes ago, Piney said:

I find creating artificial life a little morally disturbing though..

I think I could get behind something like that if the organism was a waste disposal or would somehow terriform planetary atmospheres.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, XenoFish said:

I think I could get behind something like that if the organism was a waste disposal or would somehow terriform planetary atmospheres.

Terraforming using life is feasible. They thought out plans for Mars and Venus. But Mars still has the weak magnetic field issue. 

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Piney said:

Terraforming using life is feasible. They thought out plans for Mars and Venus. But Mars still has the weak magnetic field issue. 

I'd go with Venus. Similar to earth except higher pressure. But I'm not a scientist. And yeah, Mars wouldn't be worth the effort. 

• Like 3

Europa....a water world....we could try starting life there....life on earth came from the sea

Slightly smaller than Earth's Moon, Europa is primarily made of silicate rock and has a water-ice crust and probably an iron–nickel core. It has a very thin atmosphere composed primarily of oxygen. Its surface is striated by cracks and streaks, but craters are relatively few.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Europa_(moon)

9 minutes ago, marsman said:

Europa....a water world....we could try starting life there....life on earth came from the sea

Jupiter puts out some hell on radiation. 

3 minutes ago, Piney said:

Jupiter puts out some hell on radiation. 

Deinococcus radiodurans is an extremophilic bacterium, one of the most radiation-resistant organisms known. It can survive cold, dehydration, vacuum, and acid, and is therefore known as a polyextremophile and has been listed as the world's toughest bacterium in The Guinness Book Of World Records.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Deinococcus_radiodurans

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, marsman said:

Deinococcus radiodurans is an extremophilic bacterium, one of the most radiation-resistant organisms known. It can survive cold, dehydration, vacuum, and acid, and is therefore known as a polyextremophile and has been listed as the world's toughest bacterium in The Guinness Book Of World Records.

I don't doubt that moon might have quite a few extremophiles. It's just no good for humans. 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Deinococcus_radiodurans

What's the point of surviving, if surviving is all there is?

To me, life has only one point: To eventually grasp the universe.

Even if there are microbes on billions of planets, if they stay at that level, they are pointless.

• Like 2

Even if there are microbes on billions of planets, if they stay at that level, they are pointless.

What's the point of a seed if you don't want the tree that might results.

• Like 1

youre missing the bigger picture.....all life on earthed started from microbes

History of life on Earth is largely microbial

Earth’s first life appeared early in the planet’s history, nearly 4 billion years ago, when primitive bacteria appeared in sulfurous oceans under poisonous skies.

Full of carbon dioxide and nitrogen, with some additional hydrogen, water vapor, and perhaps a bit of methane, it would be billions of years before the air would be acceptable to today’s oxygen breathers.

And we all have bacteria to thank.

https://news.harvard.edu/gazette/story/2004/10/history-of-life-on-earth-is-largely-microbial/

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, XenoFish said:

What's the point of a seed if you don't want the tree that might results.

youre missing the bigger picture.....all life on earthed started from microbes

Yes I know that evolution and reason don't share Facebook friends, but my point is that only intelligent life matters on the universal scale.

Ignorant life does not matter. It is just a biproduct. Like a color that no one sees. It was there, but never mattered.

Just now, sci-nerd said:

Yes I know that evolution and reason don't share Facebook friends, but my point is that only intelligent life matters on the universal scale.

Ignorant life does not matter. It is just a biproduct. Like a color that no one sees. It was there, but never mattered.

Here's an idea for you to entertain. Let's say it's near the end of humanity's life span. We as a species decide to create a life form that will evolve to fill every niche a planet might require including something like us. What if we are the one's that seed the cosmos? Right now such a thing is fantasy, but in say 100 years it might not be.

1 hour ago, danydandan said:

a step?

Artificial life breakthrough after scientists create new living organism using synthetic DNA

The organism can store and retrieve man-made genetic information

In a major step toward creating artificial life, US researchers have developed a living organism that incorporates both natural and artificial DNA and is capable of creating entirely new, synthetic proteins.

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/science/artificial-life-synthetic-dna-scientists-living-organisms-create-scripps-research-institute-floyd-a8083966.html