Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Machines made from DNA show signs of LIFE

marsman

1 minute ago, XenoFish said:

Here's an idea for you to entertain. Let's say it's near the end of humanity's life span. We as a species decide to create a life form that will evolve to fill every niche a planet might require including something like us. What if we are the one's that seed the cosmos? Right now such a thing is fantasy, but in say 100 years it might not be.

You got me wrong. Or rather, I was not clear enough.

I am talking about microbes that never evolve into larger intelligent creatures like us.

1 minute ago, sci-nerd said:

You got me wrong. Or rather, I was not clear enough.

I am talking about microbes that never evolve into larger intelligent creatures like us.

Who says they don't have that potential? Even an artificial life form might evolve. Who exactly knows.

I mean that's how evolution works, survival. 

Edited by XenoFish
  • Like 2

4 minutes ago, sci-nerd said:

that only intelligent life matters on the universal scale.

where would the majority of life be.....without non intelligent life....like grass for animals to eat....or without non intelligent fruit and veg for man to eat?

• Like 3

1 minute ago, XenoFish said:

Who says they don't have that potential? Even an artificial life form might evolve. Who exactly knows.

I mean that's how evolution works, survival. 

Not for larger life forms. They need much more.

Their planet needs protection from radiation. A molten magnetic iron core.
A large neighbor planet is preferred, to attract asteroids and comets.
The right amount of oxygen.

You see, life can develop many places, to no avail.

Just now, sci-nerd said:

Not for larger life forms. They need much more.

Their planet needs protection from radiation. A molten magnetic iron core.
A large neighbor planet is preferred, to attract asteroids and comets.
The right amount of oxygen.

You see, life can develop many places, to no avail.

And?

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, sci-nerd said:

To me, life has only one point: To eventually grasp the universe.

the meaning of life.....is life itself....there is no higher purpose.....like grasping the universe.....the universe does just fine without us

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, marsman said:

the universe does just fine without us

Yes it does. But we give it purpose.

Yes it does. But we give it purpose.

we try to....because we question things.....in the future....our sun will burn out.....hugely expand....killing ALL LIFE on earth....when that happens....what will have been lifes purpose?

we try to....because we question things.....in the future....our sun will burn out.....hugely expand....killing ALL LIFE on earth....when that happens....what will have been lifes purpose?

We are the universe's most extreme extension. It's most upper and delicate creation. We gazed upon the galaxies, and wondered about it's borders or lack of.

We are the life and meaning. We are purpose in the extreme cold and cruel. We are reflection of existence. We are.

31 minutes ago, sci-nerd said:

We are the universe's most extreme extension. It's most upper and delicate creation. We gazed upon the galaxies, and wondered about it's borders or lack of.

We are the life and meaning. We are purpose in the extreme cold and cruel. We are reflection of existence. We are.

we are merely a murderous warring group who pollute the planet.....though there are exceptions to such a blanket statement of course

32 minutes ago, sci-nerd said:

What's the point of surviving, if surviving is all there is?

To me, life has only one point: To eventually grasp the universe.

Even if there are microbes on billions of planets, if they stay at that level, they are pointless.

Honestly, I find this to be a problem that we may never wrap our heads around as humans. Who like things to have a beggining, middle and end.
Purely because our minds like things to be laid out simply and easy to categorise.
We're constantly looking for a point to everything. A reason for our existance. Part of me questions, why does it really matter? Regardless of the answer we're alive in the here and now.
We can only do what we can in our finite life times.

All we really know is that we like to reproduce and seek pleasurable activities, many of which are harmful to us.

I guess what I'm trying to say is that: As we've transitioned from hunter gatherers to a species that has to do very little to get food or shelter, we seem to spend a lot of time trying to take a chaotic world, filled with upredictable events
and put them into boxes that suit us and feel good about the fact that we "know things" on some level.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, marsman said:

we are merely a murderous warring group who pollute the planet.....though there are exceptions to such a blanket statement of course

5 minutes ago, Kaikou said:

Honestly, I find this to be a problem that we may never wrap our heads around as humans. Who like things to have a beggining, middle and end.
Purely because our minds like things to be laid out simply and easy to categorise.
We're constantly looking for a point to everything. A reason for our existance. Part of me questions, why does it really matter? Regardless of the answer we're alive in the here and now.
We can only do what we can in our finite life times.

All we really know is that we like to reproduce and seek pleasurable activities, many of which are harmful to us.

I guess what I'm trying to say is that: As we've transitioned from hunter gatherers to a species that has to do very little to get food or shelter, we seem to spend a lot of time trying to take a chaotic world, filled with upredictable events
and put them into boxes that suit us and feel good about the fact that we "know things" on some level.

You are absolutely right. Everything is pointless.

Even the universe, and life itself.

Let's use more gasoline, and kill more endangered species. They are without meaning. The universe does not care.

And when the last mammal on earth dies, remember that it does not matter. Life is just a curiosity in a meaningless void of energy.

6 minutes ago, sci-nerd said:

Let's use more gasoline, and kill more endangered species. They are without meaning. The universe does not care.

And when the last mammal on earth dies, remember that it does not matter. Life is just a curiosity in a meaningless void of energy.

why do all living things die? what was the point of that?

Edited by marsman

4 minutes ago, marsman said:

why do all livings die? what was the point of that?

Progress for no ends. By dying you leave space for improvement, but it's in vain. Life is just a fluctuation. A funny bubble that occurred for no reason.

Progress for no ends. By dying you leave space for improvement, but it's in vain. Life is just a fluctuation. A funny bubble that occurred for no reason.

so....you answered your own query

11 minutes ago, sci-nerd said:

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, marsman said:

so....you answered your own query

So why is there duality in quantum mechanics?

That screams in our faces: YOU MATTER!!!

2 minutes ago, sci-nerd said:

So why is there duality in quantum mechanics?

That screams in our faces: YOU MATTER!!!

did Jon Smith from 500 years ago.....matter?

did Jon Smith from 500 years ago.....matter?

Do you understand quantum duality?

4 minutes ago, sci-nerd said:

Do you understand quantum duality?

not without looking it up.....hit me with the simple version please?

3 minutes ago, marsman said:

not without looking it up.....hit me with the simple version please?

Duality shows that intelligent interaction with matter changes its behavior.

Interaction/intelligence matters. A lot.

30 minutes ago, sci-nerd said:

Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying everything is pointless, or that there can never be a point.

The point is that from what we can gather right now... WE make the point.

We choose what we want to do, what we want to change, what we want to remain the same.

Just because I don't believe there are any rules forcing us to behave a certain way doesn't mean that I don't believe in empathy.

Life is extremely hard and If we can help other humans or animal through it. That's great.

2 minutes ago, Kaikou said:

Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying everything is pointless, or that there can never be a point.

The point is that from what we can gather right now... WE make the point.

We choose what we want to do, what we want to change, what we want to remain the same.

Just because I don't believe there are any rules forcing us to behave a certain way doesn't mean that I don't believe in empathy.

Life is extremely hard and If we can help other humans or animal through it. That's great.

It is the atheist struggle. The struggle between no meaning and ethics.

We have no scripture to recite. No god to pray to. We only have facts and logic.

But I wouldn't change it. I love being an atheist. Fu*k God!

41 minutes ago, marsman said:

hit me with the simple version please