Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

'Extinct' flower rediscovered via drones

Still Waters

The remote, rugged cliff faces of Kalalau Valley on Kaua’i, Hawaii, are largely inaccessible to humans. For decades, researchers from the Kaua’i-based National Tropical Botanical Garden (NTBG) accessed these cliffs by hiking along treacherous ridgelines and rappelling down vertical cliff faces, scouring each nook and cranny for rare native plants. But now they have a new tool to help them: drones.

In late January, a drone flight made a startling discovery: Hibiscadelphus woodii, a relative of hibiscus last seen in 2009 and believed to be extinct, was still growing on the cliffside.

https://www.nationalgeographic.com/environment/2019/04/extinct-hibiscus-flower-rediscovered-hawaii-via-drones/

• Like 3
  • Thanks 3

• The title was changed to 'Extinct' flower rediscovered via drones

I kind of hope they never reach the plants. It would be a shame to see the only three known to exist get wiped out by man's meddling. They certainly shouldn't cut them.

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, susieice said:

I kind of hope they never reach the plants. It would be a shame to see the only three known to exist get wiped out by man's meddling. They certainly shouldn't cut them.

Making the plant available to various botanical gardens through seed propagation and eventually  for sale in commercial nurseries can help ensure its survival...or at least give it a better chance...

• Like 5

The article says they tried things before and were unsuccessful. I would give nature a chance to take it's course. 

Researchers believe it is pollinated by native birds. While scientists had tried to use cross-pollination, grafting, and tip cuttings to propagate the plant, none of their attempts were successful.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Beautiful flower. I wonder if rare flowers like that have some natural medical qualities for simple ailments?

• Like 1