Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Why do psychics ask so many questions?

stereologist

We have all seen videos where someone is trying to connect to the spirit of a loved one. They begin to explore with a number of questions or statements.

"I'm sensing a name like John or maybe Jeremy or ..."

"Did someone have a relative that was recently in an automobile crash?"

We are all well aware of these statements and questions that set up the process of talking to someone about dead friends or relatives or loved ones. Why are the statement and questions at first so nebulous? Why the switching at times from John to Mary to Robert to whatever?

An example might illustrate what I a talking about. Here is John Edwards on the Larry King show talking about being read.

http://people.cs.ksu.edu/~wyrm/transcript.html

I was out in California, and James Van Praagh read me and he sat there
and he said to me, your grandmother is coming through and -- here name
was with a J and I said, yes that's true

This was something he could have looked up online, but he does it piece meal getting just the first letter.

Here is a suggestion. The psychics are dealing with spirits that are playing charades. That is why the psychic gets things slowly. The spirit indicates first letter. The psychic says "J". They get a nod or the spirit is shaking their hands no, no, no.

Apparently spirits are on average substandard charade players. That is why the psychic has to get confirmation from the audience.

That might explain why Sylvia Brown was such a terrible prediction maker, she was incompetent at charades as well.

• Like 5

Reading psychically is not any mean feat. They sometimes need validation that they are heading in a correct direction with their reading.

The bottom line is that I believe most quality readers are genuinely in-touch with the non-physical and have some mind-startling examples again and again of specific knowledge.

The theory that they are all con-people/actors doesn't seem right when you really look at their life stories and who they are.

Finally, I think that the very most gifted readers have been scientifically validated in double-blind readings (where they do not even see or know or get feedback from the person they are reading) yielding tremendous odds against chance in studies by people like Dr. Gary Schwartz and colleagues.  

Also the evidence they present is consistent with afterlife evidence from multiple fields of investigation.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Probing for clues and playing on peoples reactions and emotions.

That is why they ask questions.

Edited by freetoroam
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 3

Let's take a further look into the questions and their vague nature.

https://skepticalinquirer.org/2010/03/psychic-defective-sylvia-brownes-history-of-failure/

image.png.ad2f4d8035dea216d0c977396cb634ca.png

That's pretty good 100% failure.

That's no surprise when it comes to so-called psychics, but the real question is whether or not the vague questions and the efforts to connect with the living is that the spirits are using charades to communicate.

image.png

image.png

1 minute ago, freetoroam said:

Probing for clues and playing on peoples reactions and emotions.

That is why they ask questiond.

Of course that is one explanation. I am wondering if we can also investigate the notion that spirits play charades to communicate and that is why there is all of this guessing going on with psychics.

It is important to investigate possibilities before we settle back into the "it's con artists preying on the vulnerable" scenario which it certainly appears to be.

• Like 2

Do you mean 'mediums'?

All mediums are psychic, but not all psychics are mediums.

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, acute said:

Do you mean 'mediums'?

All mediums are psychic, but not all psychics are mediums.

Thank you for the correction.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, stereologist said:

but the real question is whether or not the vague questions and the efforts to connect with the living is that the spirits are using charades to communicate.

No. Each question asked by the alleged psychic will generally bring out an answer = by the living human.

If the person the psychic was addressing had Russian or Arabic forefathers,   unless the alleged psychic knew the language, he could not posibly mention English letters.

Edited by freetoroam
  • Like 3

They just throw out key words hoping some one will bite and most of the time some one will.....

• Like 4

7 minutes ago, stereologist said:

Of course that is one explanation. I am wondering if we can also investigate the notion that spirits play charades to communicate and that is why there is all of this guessing going on with psychics.

It is important to investigate possibilities before we settle back into the "it's con artists preying on the vulnerable" scenario which it certainly appears to be.

I can not posibly give you an answer as i do not believe in an after life and obviously do not believe they can communicate with dead people.

• Like 1

Looking around at videos of Praagh and he starts with a question about whether or not anything in an audience of maybe 100 has recently hung a lamp or adjusted a lamp or ... and he s cut off by someone that says yes.

Then he confirms that the young man's mother is alive. That was so quick I doubt he had time for the spirit to do a charade. The lamp question could have been a spirit doing a charade.

So he confirms that the lamp was in the dining room an the person says yes.

Now here comes the question that made me chuckle. He asks whether the mom wanted him to get a special lamp. When there is a smile and a head nod of yes. He suggests that it took stops at several places to get the lamp.

I've seen better questioning by school kids going on a field trip.

Anyways the questions fro Praagh are too quick to involve watching a spirit do charades.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, freetoroam said:

I can not posibly give you an answer as i do not believe in an after life and obviously do not believe they can communicate with dead people.

I am in agreement with you. It just strikes me as a game of charades in reverse.

The medium gets the audience member to act out a charade that tells them whether or not the statements or questions are correct.

On the other hand it might be that the charade is between a spirit and the medium. Just an idea I though I'd toss out.

• Like 3

9 minutes ago, stereologist said:

Just an idea I though I'd toss out.

But what if there is another explanation as well?

The explanation is they are playing charades with the audience.

If he/ she has an audience of 100 people, considering there are only 26 letters in the English alphabet, i would guess the odds are in favour of the 'medium' or psychic getting a response.

As for tossing it out, certainly would do that for the charades with spirits idea.

Edited by freetoroam
  • Like 1

16 minutes ago, freetoroam said:

i do not believe in an after life

Well, aren't you going to feel silly when you die and meet all your dead relatives!

:whistle:

Edited by acute
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

1 minute ago, acute said:

Well, aren't you going to feel silly when you die and meet all your dead relatives!

:whistle:

I only know what a few looked like, though photos. Apart from my gran and a couple of uncles, the rest do not know what i look like and visa versa.

And i sure aint going to spend my free dead time explaining it to all my past relatives.

So do all the relatives from one family go to the same place?  

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Just now, freetoroam said:

So do all the relatives from one family go to the same place?  

Yes. Either heaven or hell.

(Evil runs in families)

• Haha 2

My questions relative to this thread are:

1. Can the dead talk to each other or do they use charades?
  2. Can the dead talk to mediums or do they have to use charades?

5 minutes ago, stereologist said:

1. Yes, spirits can talk to each other. The afterlife is as real to them as our world is to us.

2. Most of the communication between the spirits and the medium is symbolic, using images. If the medium puts headphones on and hears the spirits directly, they are most likely a fraud.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

18 minutes ago, acute said:

(Evil runs in families)

:devil:

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, stereologist said:

I am going with no and no. 

Sorry if my answers are not relevant to the questions, not.enough options.

• Thanks 1

36 minutes ago, stereologist said:

But what if there is another explanation as well?

Cynic Mode Active: It's all planned. Typically this is for TV nonsense. Which is why these supposed "psychic/medium/whatever" fail when put on the spot.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, acute said:

1. Yes, spirits can talk to each other. The afterlife is as real to them as our world is to us.

2. Most of the communication between the spirits and the medium is symbolic, using images. If the medium puts headphones on and hears the spirits directly, they are most likely a fraud.

The idea that this is like charades is all about mediums interpreting the symbols?

27 minutes ago, stereologist said:

With zero evidence for the actual existence of spirit/ghost both questions are nonsensical.

18 minutes ago, acute said:

There is no real evidence. It's wishful thinking. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1