Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Why Is There So Much Mass Violence?

BuddingPsychic1111

I just read a news story about the horrific tragedy that just happened in Sri Lanka.  It was not always like this.  I'm not even that old, only in my mid-20s, and I can remember a time when that sort of thing almost never happened.  Now, you see these horrific acts of mass violence happening all around the world, and sometimes there isn't even an identifiable motive of the perpetrator.  What could it possibly be about the current times that is causing there to be psychopaths committing horrific acts of mass murder against innocent people when this pretty much never happened as recently as 10 years ago?  

• Like 1

Munich, 1972. The Olympic Massacre.

Colombine, 1999. The School Massacre. Just to name 2.

Here is a link to a Wikipedia article, listing massacres since WW2, worldwide.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_events_named_massacres

As others have stated, instant media just makes it seem like it is happening more often.

• Like 5

If someone or a group wants to kill people they'll find a way. Gun or not. Improved explosives, melee weapons, fire based. It's not that difficult to makeshift the hell out of something at the hardware store. Homemade chemical weapons are not the difficult either.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Tatetopa said:

I have been around for over sixty years, and I will say this is not a recent anomaly in human history.  Mass violence has never ceased.

One factor that raises our awareness is the media as Piney said.  Somebody can behead a captive in a Middle Eastern desert or shoot up a mosque in New Zealand and millions of people across the world can be aware of it almost as it is happening.

I would guess that weapon efficiency might have a part in it too.  Even a hundred years ago it might have taken a couple of dozen soldiers to slaughter 100 non-combatants in a village.  Now a single individual can stand at a hotel window and kill 60 before he is stopped.  Bomb technology has also become  more accessible to the public.  It becomes easier for a determined psychopath to kill many people for a political or religious cause or just because his girlfriend dumped him. 

there is also a political dimension to these mass killings that reminds me of guerrilla war. Christchurch and now Columbo have become avenues for common people to stage irregular religious and political wars without leaving their own countries. of course weapons have become more efficient but more importantly so has propaganda. the internet has made contact and the sharing of information so much easier. even ISIS had their own app. countries and terrorists don't need gun boats, missiles or a stealth plane to attack their enemies. we talk about economic disruption by the internet but this military disruption is far scarier.   

Edited by Captain Risky
  • Like 2

@Captain Risky

I think that one of the dangers is becoming inured to the violence because it is becoming commonplace due to instant media.

"What? only 200 dead? And they call that a massacre?!?!"

Believe me when I say I am NOT making light of the death toll, but we humans do tend to become blasé about things that do not directly affect us. I just saw the headline of a NYC paper, where a man killed two people with an ax yesterday evening. If one were to focus solely on the killings, one would soon become suicidal.

Edited by Jodie.Lynne
  • Like 4

Just now, Jodie.Lynne said:

@Captain Risky

I think that one of the dangers is becoming inured to the violence because it becoming commonplace.

"What? only 200 dead? And they call that a massacre?!?!"

Believe me when I say I am NOT making light of the death toll, but we humans do tend to become blasé about things that do not directly affect us.

absolutely Jodie. also massacres are also judged on criteria like race, religion and politics. if a train crashes in India and 200 people die it barely rates a mention on MSM. bombs kill Christians in Sir Lanka and it makes the news but we all know that by tomorrow it will disappear off the radar. Notre Dame burns to the ground, no one dies and that's all we'll be reading about for the entire week. all this violence is relative to the threat it poses to us directly and now that we've become desensitised to violence it its quickly forgotten or replaced. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Captain Risky said:

all this violence is relative to the threat it poses to us directly and now that we've become desensitised to violence it its quickly forgotten or replaced. 

When the First Gulf War started, all the NYC papers were full of the same headline: WAR!" in huge font across the entire page.

One of my co-workers looked at it for a second, then flipped it to the sports page to see how the Yankees were doing....  SMH

• Like 3

Whenever you have 3.5 billion people  on a round rock free floating in space you cannot help but have mass violence. I mean where are they going to go? Mars is still closed.

Edited by Alien Origins

2 hours ago, acute said:

Religion, mainly.

Yeah, you really can't trust those monks, sisters, and Buddhists.  Bad to the bone, the lot of them. 

Muslims all over the world have been increasingly targeting Christians and killing large numbers, usually with the acquiescence of government.  Rest assured that both the dead and those who murdered them will each receive their due reward.

Edited by and then
  • Like 1

The upsurge in mass violence is a symptom of the spread of evil in the world.  Specifically, it is due to the growing lack of respect for human life.  With tens of millions of aborted babies and euthanasia in ever larger numbers, it's only to be expected that more people will be willing to kill those who even offend them. 

It's explained in Matthew 24:7

For nation shall rise against nation, and kingdom against kingdom: and there shall be famines, and pestilences, and earthquakes, in divers places. 8 All these are the beginning of sorrows. 9 Then shall they deliver you up to be afflicted, and shall kill you: and ye shall be hated of all nations for my name's sake.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, and then said:

Yeah, you really can't trust those monks, sisters, and Buddhists.  Bad to the bone, the lot of them. 

Muslims all over the world have been increasingly targeting Christians and killing large numbers, usually with the acquiescence of government.  Rest assured that both the dead and those who murdered them will each receive their due reward.

Presumably a reward or punishment from an omniscient god who knew the outcome of creation from the moment he created it?

A being who failed at creation time and time again.

A being, that if it exists, chooses to play hide & seek with the creatures that it needs to worship it, unthinkingly, blindly, with total submissiveness.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

18 minutes ago, and then said:

For nation shall rise against nation, and kingdom against kingdom: and there shall be famines, and pestilences, and earthquakes, in divers places

Ya, that's pretty much the story of mankind, since civilisation started.

I say: **** God! The oldest excuse to commit atrocities. Still works today. But today the masterminds behind the evil are not believers. They are political trolls who use fanatic faith to their advantage.

Faith is and will always be a mental prison.

**** = The F-word

Edited by sci-nerd
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, sci-nerd said:

Ya, that's pretty much the story of mankind, since civilisation started.

I say: **** God! The oldest excuse to commit atrocities. Still works today. But today the masterminds behind the evil are not believers. They are political trolls who use fanatic faith to their advantage.

Faith is and will always be a mental prison.

**** = The F-word

It comes down to religious death cults wanting to create a self fulfilling prophecy, in the vain and childish hopes for some heavenly reward. 

• Like 3

5 hours ago, BuddingPsychic1111 said:

It was not always like this

what makes you say that?

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Piney said:

There are more people and more media outlets so you see more of it. 

yep---to the likes of you & myself, it's bleeding obvious, but there ya go:rolleyes:

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, Dejarma said:

what makes you say that?

Because he is clueless to anything that occurred before he became conscious of the news.

Obviously not a student of history.

• Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, Dejarma said:

yep---to the likes of you & myself, it's bleeding obvious, but there ya go:rolleyes:

Well, we're a couple of old pragmatic farts. :yes:

2 minutes ago, Jodie.Lynne said:

Obviously not a student of history.

I got a "crash course" in the history of the massacres of the Chinese immigrants from my Uncle Jimmu because he and other Issei were afraid the same thing was going to happen to them when the U.S was taking their property and herding them into the camps.

I was also taught the story-poems about the 4 massacres of the various Christian pacifist groups in my tribe by settlers who were too cowardly to come after the main Band and the warriors. We also still tell "Burner of Villages" (George Washington) tales during Story Times.

Genocide survivors have a different mindset though. It's burned into our very DNA.  

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Piney said:

Genocide survivors have a different mindset though. It's burned into our very DNA.  

Not to make light of the atrocities committed against the People, but I think that atrocities have been carried out by almost every nation/state/ ethnic group/ religion, on the planet against some other people. Hell, the English tried to eradicate the Irish for centuries. It just so happens that we are too contrary to allow them the satisfaction of killing us off.

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Jodie.Lynne said:

Not to make light of the atrocities committed against the People, but I think that atrocities have been carried out by almost every nation/state/ ethnic group/ religion, on the planet against some other people. Hell, the English tried to eradicate the Irish for centuries. It just so happens that we are too contrary to allow them the satisfaction of killing us off.

I Know. I have friends from Northern Ireland who lived through the Troubles. I have a Muslim Croat friend from Sarajevo who survived the siege. 

People suck!