Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Is Handwashing As Important As They Say?

BuddingPsychic1111

2 hours ago, BuddingPsychic1111 said:

Yeah, but those microscopic amounts of it likely build up the immune system. The soap is formulated to cause antibiotic resistant bacteria and mess people up so big pharma can profit off it.

That is not true when we refer to plain old soap (not anti-bacterial soap). You need to actually learn how things work before you go making wild claims.

http://www.todayifoundout.com/index.php/2015/01/plain-old-soap-doesnt-kill-bacteria-can-really-effective-getting-rid/

https://www.health.harvard.edu/newsletter_article/The_handiwork_of_good_health

• Like 2

The thing is killing bacteria removes the good and the bad. It leaves you more susceptible, but I wouldn't skip washing over it.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, BuddingPsychic1111 said:

I don't really see how not washing your hands could be compared to actually eating ****.

It’s not so much “don’t see” as much as “won’t see.”

But whatever. As I said, self-correcting problem. 

—Jaylemurph 

• Like 2

When the ‘Party for UM members’ happens next, all of the filthy members in this thread/anyone else with horrible hygiene will have to wear red flashing lights on their heads as a warning. No hand shakes from me...

Maybe we can have a separate ‘stank zone’ for all concerned. 

And don’t worry; the headgear will not interfere with your tin-foil hats.  

No hard feelings, but good hygiene is extremely important. :yes:

(Maybe a hand shake with disposable gloves)

You may have heard there’s poop bacteria getting sprayed all over people’s hands by bathroom hand dryers. But did you know there’s poop bacteria everywhere!?

That’s right. While you’ve been freaking out over individual headlines suggesting that a tiny amount of fecal bacteria is lurking on your hands or faucets or what-have-you, those studies have been amassing into a whole body of research that shows pretty definitively that bacteria from our poop is absolutely everywhere. Here’s a short list of all the places scientists have found poop bacteria:

1. On computer keyboards
  2. In your kitchen sponge, on the kitchen drain, and on your kitchen sink faucet handles (By the way, this same study found that kitchens had more fecal bacteria than bathrooms! Toilet seats were actually one of the least contaminated spots in the whole house.)
  3. All over your phone
  4. In a “fecal veneer” on indoor climbing walls
  5. Hanging out on grocery shopping carts
  6. On your shoes (duh)
  7. Inside all of your clothes, probably because you wash them with your underwear—which contains a tenth of a gram (!!) of fecal bacteria per pair, on average
  8. Surrounding you in every hotel room you’ve ever been in
  9. Literally in the air you breathe

• Like 1

. . . I don't feel good.

• Sad 1

images.jpg

• Haha 3

I come from a family of obsessive hand washers and we are relatively healthy compared to most families.  I worked with a nurse who believed that washing your hands only helped because of the rubbing of them under the water.  She never used soap, just put her hands under the water and wiped them with a paper towel.  She was in the hospital for two weeks with a horrible bacterial infection that she would have never gotten if she used soap.  I was told by an older nurse recently that soap doesn't help and I told her about the nurse I worked with.    Anti_bacterial soaps and products and alcohol only  kill about 50 % of the bacteria, using old fashioned soap gets your hands cleaner.  The thing is there are other habits that contribute to illness.  If you don't like soap, use white vinegar it kills 90% of the bacteria that Chlorine kills.

People who don't wash their hands regularly and stay healthy probably have a very good immune system, but they can spread diseases to  others who don't have that healthy immune system just by shaking hands or handing them something, touching something or coughing or sneezing.  We live packed in like rats now days so one unclean person could cause an epidemic.

• Like 2

On 4/22/2019 at 2:00 AM, the13bats said:

...did you know poor hygiene is also a symptom of mental illness?

You would be correct.

Poor hygiene (when hygiene is available) is one of the psychiatric markers for certain forms of mental illness.

Specifically clinical depression.

Edited by pallidin
  • Like 1
  • Confused 1

• 1 month later...
On 4/30/2019 at 1:10 PM, BuddingPsychic1111 said:

Why is there a problem with what I said?  According to my own observation, handwashing is not that necessary.  I rarely wash (aside from showers, so I'm not some filthy pig). And I don't get sick.  Personally, I think as long as you shower, you're fine.  And the idea of needing to wash your hands appears to be fake news given my observations.

I just got a computer virus from reading this thread, I am certain your thread is responsible for it. It's a shame that you don't appear to understand that by not doing a simple preventive hygiene measure you could kill another person with a poorly functioning immune system that you come in physical contact with. I am sure you don't want to hurt anyone, do you?

• Haha 2
  • Confused 1

On ‎22‎/‎04‎/‎2019 at 6:47 AM, BuddingPsychic1111 said:

I'll admit, I hardly ever wash my hands.  And I rarely get sick.  I get the flu every once in a while (e.g. less than once a year), though shockingly it seems like less often than the folks I know who wash their hands incessantly and get the flu shot (e.g. the god only knows what's in it big pharma cocktail they try to push on people every season, that I suspect contains mind control chemicals and possibly even clandestine nanorobotics).  And occasionally get a cold.  But honestly, I don't get sick that much.  And when I do, I typically get over it in a few days.  Really, for me, I just wash my hands if I need to for social reasons.  

Sure, I'll wash my hands if people are around.  Because obviously given the social norm of washing your hands after using the bathroom, I kind of play along if people will see.  And run the water if people will hear.  But to be honest..... why?  I don't wash, I don't get sick.  Nor do people around me.  Honestly, I feel like I get sick less often, if anything.  I don't wash before I eat either.  I shower and all, but I don't really wash my hands.  Haven't really done it much in a long time.  

Nowadays, I have heard a lot about how antimicrobial soap causes mutations in microbes that result in antibiotic resistant bacteria.  Perhaps, that's part of their plan.  Tell people to frantically wash their hands and then make money on expensive treatments to treat their chemically created microbial creations like MRSA.  Honestly, when I was much younger (e.g. a kid), I washed my hands because everyone told me to.  Then, I got older and thought to myself what's the point and questioned if it's really necessary.  And I honestly don't feel that this negatively affected my health.

If anything, I feel that I get sick less.  And I feel better overall.  You'd think I'd get sick a lot given what we've all been taught, it seems almost inexplicable to me.  I'll put my hand on railings, handle money, take dumps, etc. without washing..... have done this for years.  And get sick less than all the germaphobes.  Honestly does not add up.  Given my experience, I have begun to suspect that the powers that be have begun to promote unnecessary handwashing in order to encourage the development of MRSA and other antibiotic resistant microbes that they can make money on more expensive medications in order to treat. 

Because IMO, big pharma, the media, the government (e.g. the CDC), and all the pieces of garbage that make up the powers that be want to create these "difficult to treat" microbes to make money by getting everyone to want to wash their hands too much.  Like I said, I almost NEVER wash my hands.  Not sure how that came to be, just kind of forgot about it.  And then sort of realized, wait..... I don't even wash my hands anymore.  Wasn't really a conscious thing, just found that. 

And then after I noticed, I realized I was doing stuff like handling money without washing, using the bathroom without washing, handling railings and other public surfaces without washing, etc.  And not getting sick any more often.  And perhaps even getting sick less.  And when I would get sick, it would seem like I got over it quicker.  People would probably think I'm kind of gross if I talked about this in person, so I don't really. 

Yet it just amazes me, and given my experiences, I am somewhat suspect that there's an agenda to promote unnecessary handwashing in order to create antibiotic resistant microbes that they can make money off of treating the complications of.  Because it was years ago that I just kind of found myself not washing my hands.  And I haven't started since then.  I shower and I wash my hands if I feel the need to for social reasons.  But otherwise, I don't bother.  And this has done me no harm whatsoever over a period of 5+ years. 

I feel that all this wash your hands all the time was a big lie. To make people's immune systems unable to handle the slightest thing, thus allowing big pharma to make money off treating complex illnesses/complications caused by low immunity.  And creating antibiotic resistant microbes from the overuse of antibacterial soap.  I'm not saying that I have any proof that my theory is correct or that I know it's true.  I just know that for the last 5-7 years, I have rarely washed my hands and rarely get sick.  

Perhaps, this is unique to me.  Perhaps, this is something that science cannot explain.  Perhaps, everything is just predestined.  And since predestiny has made it so that I wasn't going to get sick during a certain period of time and thus not washing my hands made no difference.  Could have been just how it was meant to be, due to some sort of quantum mechanics that science has yet to understand. 

I honestly have no idea, I just know that I began to realize.... oh I never really wash my hands anymore and I haven't been in a year or so.  And I haven't been getting sick more..... so well, **** it, why bother.  And have had no ill effects from this during more than 5 years.  It certainly is an interesting observation.  Either that I have experienced some type of anomaly or this is a form of fake news that very few of us have begun to wake up to.  Because 5 YEARS of essentially never washing my hands and not getting sick more than other people, something is inconsistent with the things we've been taught.  

I dont think its big pharma intentionally being manipulative.

I think its fake news jumping on every latest health trend saying people must do this or buy that. I think anti-bacterial hand wash will turn out to be a significant cause of obesity and cancer. Because when we wash our hands with it then eat food we are introducing anti-bacterial agents into our gut where it kills of various gut bacteria. Many of those bacteria provide vital nutrients.

Have you noticed that people who do a lot of aerobic exercise age quickly? Yet that is being promoted as something that would extend lifespan at this point. Well yes, it might help someone who is obese live longer (by reducing the risk of a heart attack or stroke) but the fake news have distorted that into meaning it makes everyone live longer.

8 minutes ago, Manwon Lender said:

I just got a computer virus from reading this thread, I am certain your thread is responsible for it. It's a shame that you don't appear to understand that by not doing a simple preventive hygiene measure you could kill another person with a poorly functioning immune system that you come in physical contact with. I am sure you don't want to hurt anyone, do you?

Why should someone knacker oneself up to help someone already knackered up?

On 6/16/2019 at 7:31 AM, RabidMongoose said:

I dont think its big pharma intentionally being manipulative.

I think its fake news jumping on every latest health trend saying people must do this or buy that. I think anti-bacterial hand wash will turn out to be a significant cause of obesity and cancer. Because when we wash our hands with it then eat food we are introducing anti-bacterial agents into our gut where it kills of various gut bacteria. Many of those bacteria provide vital nutrients.

Have you noticed that people who do a lot of aerobic exercise age quickly? Yet that is being promoted as something that would extend lifespan at this point. Well yes, it might help someone who is obese live longer (by reducing the risk of a heart attack or stroke) but the fake news have distorted that into meaning it makes everyone live longer.

Says the poster who thinks a combination of hot baths, dehydration and fasting is the key to immortality. After seeing that silliness, I can't take anything you say seriously anymore.

On 6/16/2019 at 7:31 AM, RabidMongoose said:

Why should someone knacker oneself up to help someone already knackered up?

Hopefully you'll remember saying that if you ever get into a situation where you are ill and your life depends on other people being clean.

I can't believe the topic of basic sanitation is actually being debated. Soap has saved hundreds of thousands of lives - try it sometime. Soap =\= antibacterial handwash, they are two different things. Soap is basic sanitation as is handwashing. It's not up for debate. Believe what you want about the antibacterial stuff, but if you aren't using basic soap, you shouldn't be allowed into modern society. 

The ignorance displayed about basic sanitation is frightening.

Edited by moonman
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, moonman said:

Hopefully you'll remember saying that if you ever get into a situation where you are ill and your life depends on other people being clean.

I can't believe the topic of basic sanitation is actually being debated. Soap has saved hundreds of thousands of lives - try it sometime. Soap =\= antibacterial handwash, they are two different things. Soap is basic sanitation as is handwashing. It's not up for debate. Believe what you want about the antibacterial stuff, but if you aren't using basic soap, you shouldn't be allowed into modern society. 

The ignorance displayed about basic sanitation is frightening.

I`m another one that isn't hygienic and who very rarely gets ill.

We haven't evolved to be snowflakes and I`m not putting myself at risk for other people. I am a vaccine free, cleaning agent free, and soap free human being.

4 hours ago, RabidMongoose said:

I`m another one that isn't hygienic and who very rarely gets ill.

We haven't evolved to be snowflakes and I`m not putting myself at risk for other people. I am a vaccine free, cleaning agent free, and soap free human being.

Way to be part of the problem. It's ok to spread your own germs around, who cares if others get sick, right? Hope I never cross your nasty path.

Soap free - now I've heard it all. Jesus.

Edited by moonman
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, moonman said:

Way to be part of the problem.

Soap free - now I've heard it all.

There is a movement that soap is bad for the environment so there is a company that makes micro fiber cloth infused with silver (micro cloth is bad for the environment) so you can clean everything without any kind of soap.  I will keep my clorox, white vinegar and soap, thank you.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, moonman said:

Way to be part of the problem. It's ok to spread your own germs around, who cares if others get sick, right? Hope I never cross your nasty path.

Soap free - now I've heard it all. Jesus.

I dont own any germs.

They are all throughout nature and life.

Edited by RabidMongoose

2 minutes ago, Desertrat56 said:

There is a movement that soap is bad for the environment so there is a company that makes micro fiber cloth infused with silver (micro cloth is bad for the environment) so you can clean everything without any kind of soap.  I will keep my clorox, white vinegar and soap, thank you.

Thank you for being a normal member of society that cares about basic hygiene.

1 minute ago, RabidMongoose said:

I dont own any germs.

They are all throughout nature and life.

Yay for you. Smell you later.

Edited by moonman

2 minutes ago, moonman said:

Thank you for being a normal member of society that cares about basic hygiene.

I am by no means "normal".  I am an obsessive hand washer, most of my family is because of two grandmothers waging war against germs because of family members who died from bacterial infections.  One was my grandfather who had bacterial menengitis in the 40's when it was difficult to get anti-biotics.

Edited by Desertrat56

2 minutes ago, moonman said:

Yay for you. Smell you later.

I dont smell.

Of muck or of perfumed shower/bath gels. I like a cold plain water shower when I get up in the morning (even in winter) as its invigorating. Makes me feel alive.

Edited by RabidMongoose

Just now, Desertrat56 said:

I am by no means "normal".  I am an obsessive hand washer, most of my family is because of two grandmothers waging war against germs because of family members who died from bacterial infections.  One was my grandfather who had bacterial menengitis in the 40's.

Better too much than none at all.

6 minutes ago, RabidMongoose said:

I dont smell.

Of muck or of perfumed shower/bath gels.

If you say so. I won't be getting close enough to find out.

Edited by moonman