Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Donald Trump 'set for June state visit to UK'

Still Waters

On 5/19/2019 at 12:36 PM, Kismit said:

people have a right to disapprove, even Bee. And it is incredibly ironic that she wood strongly voice her disapproval of someone else’ Right to voice their disapproval.

I had to give a "hat tip" to the first part of your post.  I agree wholeheartedly.  I can't speak for bee but I didn't understand her comments to be disapproval of another's rights to be in opposition to ideas they don't share.  I thought she was making the valid point that relations between nations and their leaders should maintain at least a small amount of etiquette and respect for the offices if not the office holder.  If heaven forbid, Corbyn got elected as the UK PM and came for a state visit, I'd want our people to be civil to him and would upset if they weren't.  I feel toward him almost as virulently as some feel against Trump but there is a time and place for venting spleens.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, and then said:

I had to give a "hat tip" to the first part of your post.  I agree wholeheartedly.  I can't speak for bee but I didn't understand her comments to be disapproval of another's rights to be in opposition to ideas they don't share.  I thought she was making the valid point that relations between nations and their leaders should maintain at least a small amount of etiquette and respect for the offices if not the office holder.  If heaven forbid, Corbyn got elected as the UK PM and came for a state visit, I'd want our people to be civil to him and would upset if they weren't.  I feel toward him almost as virulently as some feel against Trump but there is a time and place for venting spleens.

Our elected officials in a democratic society come with opposition. The two warring factions. Approval and disapproval. Speakers for the majority and speakers for the minority. They together create a reasonable balance of what a society actually needs going forward. A true reflection of the issues that the people of a nation are going through without making one group more dominant or powerful than another. 

Elected officials need and must have dissenting opinions, full stop. Or it is just plain communism. Fueled by cognitive dissonance.

Just now, Kismit said:

Elected officials need and must have dissenting opinions, full stop

Uh... is that lacking where Trump is concerned?  My point isn't that dissenting opinions should be suppressed.  I'm just saying that when leaders of one nation visit another it is customary to treat them with the respect due the Office.  Plain old good manners, remember?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Just now, and then said:

Uh... is that lacking where Trump is concerned?  My point isn't that dissenting opinions should be suppressed.  I'm just saying that when leaders of one nation visit another it is customary to treat them with the respect due the Office.  Plain old good manners, remember?

I get where you are coming from and on the whole it would appear that The American President is being treated with respect, however, no, not all world leaders should be treated with respect without question. That way dictatorship lies.  And no, I am not calling Donald Trump a dictator, but I am also not calling him a diplomatic saint either.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, and then said:

What morals?  Or do disgusting, overt Jew haters have your approval?  Chums with the Hamas are you?  He is...

:rolleyes:

• Like 1

Can`t we shut the London Mayor up for the day?

He is making himself look unprofessional and not fit for office.

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, RabidMongoose said:

Can`t we shut the London Mayor up for the day?

He is making himself look unprofessional and not fit for office.

You know Trump isn't Mayor of London? 

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, and then said:

I'm just saying that when leaders of one nation visit another it is customary to treat them with the respect due the Office.  Plain old good manners, remember?

Officials of the government must show respect due the office. The people, however, in modern western societies at least, are and should be free to show as much or as little respect as they deem fit.

A person does not gain respect from Office but through their words and actions which people are free to interpret in any positive or negative light as they see fit.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, RAyMO said:

Officials of the government must show respect due the office. The people, however, in modern western societies at least, are and should be free to show as much or as little respect as they deem fit.

A person does not gain respect from Office but through their words and actions which people are free to interpret in any positive or negative light as they see fit.

All people should be treated with respect and dignity

That doesnt mean you have to agree with everybody. But there are far better and more professional ways of expressing how you disagree with the policies of someone than crying fascist and trying to prevent legitimate state visits.

Corbyn sits and talks to terrorists and dictators with a bad track record on human rights. Yet he wont sit with Trump. Pathetic.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, RabidMongoose said:

But there are far better and more professional ways of expressing how you disagree with the policies of someone than crying fascist

whats the problem with calling out someones policies as fascist if that is what you believe they are, or the direction they are orientating towards. 

Besides its pretty mild compared to the insults Trump has delivered to Nations, Individuals and Groups. If he is big enough to fire off insults, he should be man enough to accept them in return.

As for Corbyn - he entertains a myriad of views not all of which IMO are mutually compatible - its about time Momentum or whoever carries weight in the Labour  Party, thanked him for his service ..

Edited by RAyMO
  • Like 2

22 minutes ago, RAyMO said:

whats the problem with calling out someones policies as fascist if that is what you believe they are, or the direction they are orientating towards. 

Besides its pretty mild compared to the insults Trump has delivered to Nations, Individuals and Groups. If he is big enough to fire off insults, he should be man enough to accept them in return.

As for Corbyn - he entertains a myriad of views not all of which IMO are mutually compatible - its about time Momentum or whoever carries weight in the Labour Party, thanked him for his service ..

Our politicians should be conducting themselves in a manner compatible with public life.

The fact the Mayor of London cannot shows me he isn't right to hold his office.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, RabidMongoose said:

Our politicians should be conducting themselves in a manner compatible with public life.

does donald trump?

• Like 3

1 hour ago, RAyMO said:

As for Corbyn - he entertains a myriad of views not all of which IMO are mutually compatible - its about time Momentum or whoever carries weight in the Labour  Party, thanked him for his service ..

what does he take fascism to mean? It would be interesting to see what he defines it as, or otherwise it's just as petty an insult (or actually not so petty, bearing in mind what real fascist states were like) as anything The Fabulous Donald pours out on twitter. 

• Like 2

5 hours ago, and then said:

What morals?  Or do disgusting, overt Jew haters have your approval?  Chums with the Hamas are you?  He is...

And there's another example right there. You're just as childish and silly as they both are.

• Like 2

31 minutes ago, Dumbledore the Awesome said:

what does he take fascism to mean?

That's fair. Who knows?

If Corbyn continues to insult Trump and becomes PM then how on Earth can he negotiate a good trade deal with America when we leave the EU?  British politicians should be kissing Trump's ass right now, not kicking it back to America.  We need him, more than he needs us.  The D-Day anniversary should make that obvious.

That's essentially blackmail. The classic bullying tactics that's all the Trump administration, if you can dignify it with the term, can ever do. "You need us, so be nice to us goddamit." Because we (the Tory Government of former PM Theresa May) are such a useless gang of incompetents we must suck up the world's leading bullying nation, which is governed by an unstable, irrational idiot with the mental age of an eight-year old, because they've promised to be our bestest friend, just as long as we always do what they tell us to do, always assuming that America's Giant Baby doesn't throw another tantrum and decide he won't be our bestest friend after all if anyone else is rude to him". 

Edited by Dumbledore the Awesome
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Britain needs a powerful ally, now more than ever.  It doesn't matter about the individual character of a person.  It is their dotted signature on a trade agreement that matters more.  e.g.  Just like being nice to a nasty family relative in the hopes of inheriting their money.  We may not want him, but by jove, we need him.

the Queen making a speech to welcome the US president - BBC News

cheers ..... :tu:

even the BBC have to behave themselves when the Queen is involved... :D

• Thanks 2

3 hours ago, Aaron2016 said:

If Corbyn continues to insult Trump and becomes PM then how on Earth can he negotiate a good trade deal with America when we leave the EU?  British politicians should be kissing Trump's ass right now, not kicking it back to America.  We need him, more than he needs us. 

I thought we were supposed to be a proud independent country post-Brexit. Why are we trading an equal partnership in the EU to become a lapdog to the US? 

The D-Day anniversary should make that obvious.

The D-Day anniversary reminds us the US is an, at best, unreliable friend. Nothing more. 

• Like 1
  • Confused 2

1 hour ago, bee said:

the Queen making a speech to welcome the US president - BBC News

cheers ..... :tu:

even the BBC have to behave themselves when the Queen is involved... :D

Trump is coming off well in this state visit with Corbyn and Khan looking like immature cry baby idiots.

Did you notice that the Queen seems to really like the President? They seem to get on well which could be good for a future trade deal. Fingers crossed.

Lets see how she likes Farage and Boris over the coming days.

Edited by RabidMongoose

8 hours ago, Dumbledore the Awesome said:

does donald trump?

Try that while standing at the bottom of a hill of sh1t for 2 years and then get back to us with your appraisal.  

8 hours ago, Dumbledore the Awesome said:

And there's another example right there. You're just as childish and silly as they both are.

He's a fecking anti-Semite who chums about with the Hamas.  Care to dispute that with evidence?  I think he's a vile, disgusting thug and it saddens me that he might actually occupy 10 Downing at some point.  How the mighty have fallen.

31 minutes ago, and then said:

I think he's a vile, disgusting thug and it saddens me that he might actually occupy 10 Downing at some point.  How the mighty have fallen.

Pot-kettle. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Aaron2016 said:

It is their dotted signature on a trade agreement that matters more

didn't do Mexico much good. signed agreements with trump are not worth the paper they are written on.