Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

First Marsquake May Have Been Detected

Waspie_Dwarf

NASA’s InSight Lander Captures Audio of First Likely ‘Quake’ on Mars

NASA’s Mars InSight lander has measured and recorded for the first time ever a likely “marsquake.”

The faint seismic signal, detected by the lander’s Seismic Experiment for Interior Structure (SEIS) instrument, was recorded on April 6, the lander’s 128th Martian day, or sol. This is the first recorded trembling that appears to have come from inside the planet, as opposed to being caused by forces above the surface, such as wind. Scientists still are examining the data to determine the exact cause of the signal.

arrow3.gif  Read More: NASA

• Like 1

This is very interesting, the Mars quake question finally answered.  Has there been any further news on the mole, I haven't read anything about it lately so I assumed they were stil studyng the problem.

Edited by Merc14

On 4/24/2019 at 7:13 AM, Merc14 said:

This is very interesting, the Mars quake question finally answered.  Has there been any further news on the mole, I haven't read anything about it lately so I assumed they were stil studyng the problem.

The heat probe is apparently still stuck. They've been trying to work out the problem at JPL, using an Earth-bound duplicate of the InSight Lander. The three likeliest answers are:

The mechanism that reels out the cable attached to the heat probe is jammed.

The probe created a hollow in the soil, or encountered a natural one, so that the hammer-drill has nothing to brace itself against, as it bores. The drill merely rebounds after each hammer blow.

A rock too large for the hammer drill to either break through or dislodge has been encountered. 

They have apparently used the camera to check the first possibility, and the seismometer to try to assess the likelihood of the other two scenarios. No further word on an answer, or a solution. If indicated, and possible, they might eventually try retracting the heat probe and placing it at a different position before trying to bore again.   

• Thanks 1

The Russians were probably digging a trench by dropping a series of nukes on the far side, nothing to worry about.

:P

post withdrawn 

Edited by bison