Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Hate Crime at Major US University

Space Commander Travis

This is so hilarious I thought it might be worthy of a thread.

University condemns acts of hate

Unfortunately, we write you this morning to inform you about a similar incident that was discovered over the weekend. On Saturday evening, a student contacted the Northwestern Police Department to say he observed a second sticker that read "It's Okay to Be White," this time in a bathroom stall in the Main Library.  The student told police he removed the sticker and threw it away, but forwarded a picture of the sticker to investigators. The restroom is located along the northwest corridor leading to the arts collection in Deering Library.

Officers searched nearby common areas of the Main, Deering and Mudd libraries and did not find any similar stickers. However, given that we have discovered two such stickers this month, it's possible additional stickers could be placed on our campus in the days and weeks to come, and community members could find them. :cry: 

But don't worry, they've very hot on discrimination against anyone on grounds of anything at all, let alone skin color. :hmm: 

Let us be absolutely clear: Northwestern University does not discriminate or permit discrimination or harassment by any member of its community against any individual on the basis of race, color, religion, national origin, sex, pregnancy, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, parental status, marital status, age, disability, citizenship status, veteran status, genetic information or any other classification protected by law in the matters of admissions, employment, housing, services or in educational programs or activities we operate.

https://news.northwestern.edu/stories/2019/04/university-condemns-acts-of-hate/

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 6

7 minutes ago, Vlad the Mighty said:

This is so hilarious I thought it might be worthy of a thread.

Almost but not quite. I mean out of context it absolutely is but placed in context it is neo nazi propaganda.

he suggestion for the use of posters with the saying originated on the message board /pol/ of 4chan, with the intent of provoking reactions. The saying was later spread by neo-Nazi groups and politically organized racists, including former Ku Klux Klan Grand Wizard David Duke and The Daily Stormer.[4] A report by the ADL states that the phrase itself has a history within the white supremacist movement going back to 2001 when it was used as the title of a song by a white power music group called Aggressive Force as well as fliers with the phrase being spotted in 2005 and the slogan being used by a member of the United Klans of America.[1]

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/It's_OK_to_be_white

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Farmer77 said:

Almost but not quite. I mean out of context it absolutely is but placed in context it is neo nazi propaganda.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/It's_OK_to_be_white

oh for ****'s sake, cartoon frogs are neo nazi p[propaganda. 

• Haha 6

1 minute ago, Vlad the Mighty said:

Yeah but it is what it is. I mean it wouldnt be funny for a school to take down swastika stickers right? Same thing here, even if the origin story of the saying is true (you gotta be a full blown simpleton if you believe that) its since been hijacked and used by the most prominent racists in the country.

17 minutes ago, Vlad the Mighty said:

"They" are behind every corner and under your beds. :ph34r:

• Haha 4

Just now, Michelle said:

"They" are behind every corner and under your beds. :ph34r:

Ahh I knew you would show up to defend your people!

• Haha 1

Just now, Farmer77 said:

Ahh I knew you would show up to defend your people!

You are McCarthyism that almost took Lucy the red down...:w00t:

• Haha 2

The asteroid can't get here fast enough. Good grief!

• Like 1
  • Haha 6

1 minute ago, susieice said:

The asteroid can't get here fast enough. Good grief!

I never thought our society would get so bizarrely backwards. 

• Like 7

The University press release discusses the possibility of it being hate related as part of 3 incidents, one of which was a noose left on the school grounds. 

Of course it is okay to be white, but if someone is using that as a slogan to push an agenda that could be as sinister as a noose message, maybe the school has a right to speculate.

Just now, Michelle said:

I never thought our society would get so bizarrely backwards. 

Me either. Things are getting a lot more divided than it was when I was younger. It's like everything we did back then has come all undone now.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

1 minute ago, susieice said:

Me either. Things are getting a lot more divided than it was when I was younger. It's like everything we did back then has come all undone now.

Only among the younger generation. The older ones remember us standing side by side with them. These days everything is racist.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, susieice said:

That appears to be what a message like “It’s ok to be white,” is designed to do, seperate people and cause divisions. It’s not the message itself that is the problem,the intent of causing discourse or anarchy is the problem. 

Its purpose is less than being proud of being white but in insinuating in someway people are somehow shaming you for being white.

it in fact causes derision, an example of this will be people’s desire to defend it.

And defend it if you must but you fall victim to it’s guilt manipulation.

10 minutes ago, Kismit said:

The University press release discusses the possibility of it being hate related as part of 3 incidents, one of which was a noose left on the school grounds. 

Of course it is okay to be white, but if someone is using that as a slogan to push an agenda that could be as sinister as a noose message, maybe the school has a right to speculate.

I didn't see anything about a noose in Vlad's link. It seems other schools didn't find it threatening. I'm guessing it's not ok to say you're white anymore or as Michelle says, your just classified a racist.

Just now, susieice said:

I didn't see anything about a noose in Vlad's link. It seems other schools didn't find it threatening. I'm guessing it's not ok to say you're white anymore or as Michelle says, your just classified a racist.

I read the whole link it is mentioned no less than two times

Just now, Kismit said:

I read the whole link it is mentioned no less than two times

I read it too. I don't see that. I'll go back again.

Here first mentioned in the link under March 19

When a noose was found in the Henry Crown Sports Pavilion last month, Northwestern’s senior leadership immediately launched an investigation and issued a statement denouncing any attempt to threaten members of our University community. A student came forward to report that she had been using the rope for a class project. After she accidentally left the rope behind, an unknown person fashioned it into the form of a noose, which was subsequently discovered on a table in the complex’s common area. 

• Like 1

OMG, it was Boy Scout going for his knot tying badge. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Michelle said:

OMG, it was Boy Scout going for his knot tying badge. 

Really? 

• Like 1

Just now, Kismit said:

Really? 

Why does absolutely everything have to have racist connotations? It cheapens the actual atrocities that happen on a regular basis.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 2

16 minutes ago, Kismit said:

Here first mentioned in the link under March 19

Ok. I found it. I had read the wiki link and it wasn't mentioned there. A girl had said she had the rope for a project and had left it there but when it was found the next day, it had been shaped into a noose. There was nothing else found in the area, just that a couple of these stickers had been found previously. The school says it is investigating footage to see who may have done that. The school needs to do that. 

19 minutes ago, Kismit said:

Its purpose is less than being proud of being white but in insinuating in someway people are somehow shaming you for being white.

As for this, yes. It certainly does seem as though people are shaming you for being white. Say anything and immediately you are a racist. I've heard tons of references in music especially remarking on white and police. Why isn't that ever brought out? I'm from the 60's and 70's when this kind of stuff didn't happen among the young. They need to go back and listen to good music! They have no idea!

Edited by susieice
  • Like 3

1 minute ago, Michelle said:

Why does absolutely everything have to have racist connotations? It cheapens the actual atrocities that happen on a regular basis.

Possibly because someone made it about race. White is still a race.

It is just that recently a man committed a n horrendous hate crime not far from where I live. His intention was not to make white Christians better but to continue the violence between Muslims and non-Muslims. Truth be known he will be happy with the recent church bombings Sri Lanka, because his goal was to cause racial/bigoted disruption.

That is the exact same thing a sticker claiming it’s ok to be white is doing. Exactly.”because it alludes to the fact that in some way people seem to think it is not ok. It’s as rediculous as the pretend war on Christmas.

• Like 1

Im pretty sure his is @Vlad the Mighty right about now

giphy.gif

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, Farmer77 said:

Your denials of racism are cheapened by your continued denial of reality.

Well, in my town blacks hate Hispanics. I doubt I'd ever hear you call them racists. Come to think of it, nobody jumped on Piney when he stated that fact from his experience in prison.

• Like 4

Just now, Kismit said:

Possibly because someone made it about race. White is still a race.

It is just that recently a man committed a n horrendous hate crime not far from where I live. His intention was not to make white Christians better but to continue the violence between Muslims and non-Muslims. Truth be known he will be happy with the recent church bombings Sri Lanka, because his goal was to cause racial/bigoted disruption.

That is the exact same thing a sticker claiming it’s ok to be white is doing. Exactly.”because it alludes to the fact that in some way people seem to think it is not ok. It’s as rediculous as the pretend war on Christmas.

Kismit, what happened in Sri Lanka was as real as what happened in New Zealand. Those people were Asians. The whites who were killed were in the hotels.

• Like 2