Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Death color blue

JessicaButerfly

Here's the research article, from 2013...

"In worms, the spread of death can be seen easily under a microscope as a wave of blue fluorescence travelling through the gut of the worm.The study, led by researchers funded by the Wellcome Trust and BBSRC, reveals that this fluorescence is caused by a cell death pathway called necrosis and its spread throughout the organism is dependent on calcium signalling."

https://wellcome.ac.uk/press-release/wave-blue-fluorescence-reveals-pathway-death-worms

"It's like a blue grim reaper, tracking death as it spreads throughout the organism until all life is extinguished."

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Eldorado said:

Here's the research article, from 2013...

"In worms, the spread of death can be seen easily under a microscope as a wave of blue fluorescence travelling through the gut of the worm.The study, led by researchers funded by the Wellcome Trust and BBSRC, reveals that this fluorescence is caused by a cell death pathway called necrosis and its spread throughout the organism is dependent on calcium signalling."

https://wellcome.ac.uk/press-release/wave-blue-fluorescence-reveals-pathway-death-worms

"It's like a blue grim reaper, tracking death as it spreads throughout the organism until all life is extinguished."

Thank you for the article. Do you have an opinion about it? :) 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, JessicaButerfly said:

Thank you for the article. Do you have an opinion about it? :) 

As long as I'm not black and blue with splashes of red when it happens, I'm cool with whatever colour Death comes in.

Edited by Eldorado
  • Like 1
  • Haha 3

I'm not sure of the significance of this?

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, danydandan said:

I'm not sure of the significance of this?

"The source of the blue fluorescence was previously thought to be a substance called lipofuscin, which emits light of a similar colour and has been linked to ageing because it accumulates with increasing molecular damage. However, the new findings implicate another molecule called anthranilic acid as the source and show that lipofuscin is not involved." -- Professor Gems

At the Wellcome trust: https://wellcome.ac.uk/press-release/wave-blue-fluorescence-reveals-pathway-death-worms

"Wellcome directly funds thousands of scientists and researchers around the world at every step of the way from discovery to impact. Our funding schemes offer grants across biomedical science, population health, medical innovation, humanities and social science, and public engagement."

Edited by Eldorado
typo

2 hours ago, moonman said:

So what - block this chemical signal and stop death? Is that the gist?

Apparently.

But I doubt it will work. 

• Like 1