Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

US Navy drafts new UFO reporting guidelines

UM-Bot

All well and good but if they are just going to hide what they find why mess with it? But then again being former military I understand why they don't.

The public stance of the U.S. Navy is apparently  that it's newly enhanced interest in unidentified aircraft  'is not intended to legitimize speculation that Navy pilots or sailors have encountered alien spacecraft'. All very well, but all this really says is that they would prefer that we not speculate along these lines. It is not a denial of any proposed explanation for persistently unexplained UFO reports. 

The military forces of the world, including the U.S. Navy, have been encountering such UFOs for decades. The implication of the expression 'unidentified or unauthorized aircraft' seems to be that these are unknown Earthly aircraft.  It  appears improbable, though, that such aircraft could continue to be unidentified  for so long.

In other cases of new, secret aircraft, the secret has somehow gotten out within a relatively few years. As Mr. Elizondo says: " what happens in five years, if it turns out that these are extremely advanced Russian aircraft"? Well, the military's acquaintance with persistently unexplained UFOs, with anomalous flight characteristics, stretches back over at least seventy years.  If one nation had shot so far ahead in flight technology, it seems that the wider consequences of this advantage would have become apparent, long before now.   

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, bison said:

It  appears improbable, though, that such aircraft could continue to be unidentified  for so long.

In other cases of new, secret aircraft, the secret has somehow gotten out within a relatively few years.

Development of secret military aircraft can't explain why triangular UFO's with three lights have been reported since 1897.

• Like 3

Another step towards eventual partial disclosure.

Anyone that thinks that the US military/intelligence has not been closely watching UFO activity since they first were able to is seriously ignorant as to the importance of such visitations. They are real, the gov is concerned a lot more than they let on.  book it.

• Like 2

This may have more to do with the proliferation of drones and UAV that little green men.

Edited by Merc14
  • Like 2

Another thread for unevidenced grandiose statements.

The formalization of any process is what large organizations do. Reducing the workload in any of these formalized processes is a good thing. That is what a good organization does.

https://gizmodo.com/the-u-s-navy-is-working-on-new-guidelines-on-how-to-re-1834260673

Whether or not the Navy as an institution actually believes it needs to pay more attention to UFO reports or whether it just wants to look like it is taking them more seriously, UFOs have indeed been in the news an awful lot in the past few years.

In that same article it states that the Elizondo group was not producing anything but piles of paper.

Reid apparently believed the program had made significant discoveries, though a former congressional staffer told Politico that AATIP produced nothing but “reams of paperwork,” and the senator eventually agreed it was no longer worth continuing.

The article goes on to state that the supposed metals are still just tales.

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Merc14 said:

This may have more to do with the proliferation of drones and UAV that littpe green men.

how so? it would be more plausible to suggest that the U.S. military want to encourage more personnel to come forward and report such experiences. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, stereologist said:

Another thread for unevidenced grandiose statements.

The formalization of any process is what large organizations do. Reducing the workload in any of these formalized processes is a good thing. That is what a good organization does.

https://gizmodo.com/the-u-s-navy-is-working-on-new-guidelines-on-how-to-re-1834260673

In that same article it states that the Elizondo group was not producing anything but piles of paper.

The article goes on to state that the supposed metals are still just tales.

well Stereo they spends millions correlating and investigating UFO's and they have just made reporting them easier and taking the stigma outta doing such so why would they dismiss the UFO reporting program? 

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Captain Risky said:

how so? it would be more plausible to suggest that the U.S. military want to encourage more personnel to come forward and report such experiences. 

Maybe aircrew are seeing drones in restricted air spaces and not reporting them duer to embarasment as in "That guy is seeing space ships."  but those incursions need to be reported.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Merc14 said:

Maybe aircrew are seeing drones in restricted air spaces and not reporting them duer to embarasment as in "That guy is seeing space ships."  but those incursions need to be reported.

drones are a recent technology that doesn't fully explain the 1000 year phenomena that are UFO. 

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Captain Risky said:

well Stereo they spends millions correlating and investigating UFO's and they have just made reporting them easier and taking the stigma outta doing such so why would they dismiss the UFO reporting program? 

Because the group headed by Elizondo did not produce anything. That is what happened according to the article.

8 minutes ago, Captain Risky said:

drones are a recent technology that doesn't fully explain the 1000 year phenomena that are UFO. 

Is this another made up number 1000 years? 

1 minute ago, stereologist said:

Because the group headed by Elizondo did not produce anything. That is what happened according to the article.

well that's debatable. still if the U.S. government thought that UFO's were not real or posed a threat then they wouldn't have made reporting them easier. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, stereologist said:

Is this another made up number 1000 years? 

you do realise that the bible talks about incidents like ezekiel's vision and others that could be easily interpreted as UFO's. there are other Christian and Indian legends that could also be interpreted nowadays as UFO's instead of religious experiences. but i do see your point it is a long bow. still in WW1 and WW2 pilots on both sides reported seeing and interacting with UFO's.  

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Captain Risky said:

well that's debatable. still if the U.S. government thought that UFO's were not real or posed a threat then they wouldn't have made reporting them easier. 

Argue with the article or present something. The article is clear that Elizondo and his group produced nothing but paper.

Where does it say that the US government thinks UFOs are not real or that they do not pose a threat? (except for Project Blue Book)

22 minutes ago, Captain Risky said:

you do realise that the bible talks about incidents like ezekiel's vision and others that could be easily interpreted as UFO's. there are other Christian and Indian legends that could also be interpreted nowadays as UFO's instead of religious experiences. but i do see your point it is a long bow. still in WW1 and WW2 pilots on both sides reported seeing and interacting with UFO's.  

Ezekiel's vision can be easily misrepresented as a UFO. That is done by people with no care about what is stated. It's done by the same people that claim the AE did not build the pyramids, Venus popped out of Jupiter, the Sumerians knew of 12 planets and all of the rest of the nonsense.

So WWI and WWII pilots reported incidents. That about 1/10 of the previous claim. That's better although there are reports of things flying before that.

• Thanks 1

Argue with the article or present something. The article is clear that Elizondo and his group produced nothing but paper.

Where does it say that the US government thinks UFOs are not real or that they do not pose a threat? (except for Project Blue Book)

sorry correction. i meant to say that the U.S. government do think that UFO's pose a threat. 

Just now, stereologist said:

Ezekiel's vision can be easily misrepresented as a UFO. That is done by people with no care about what is stated. It's done by the same people that claim the AE did not build the pyramids, Venus popped out of Jupiter, the Sumerians knew of 12 planets and all of the rest of the nonsense.

So WWI and WWII pilots reported incidents. That about 1/10 of the previous claim. That's better although there are reports of things flying before that.

so you saying that UFO's are only a relative new phenomena? 

• Like 1

Just now, Captain Risky said:

so you saying that UFO's are only a relative new phenomena? 

Where did I say that?

Where did I say that?

im not making any accusations just wanna understand where you're coming from. i repeat the question, do you believe that UFO's are a recent thing?

1 minute ago, Captain Risky said:

im not making any accusations just wanna understand where you're coming from. i repeat the question, do you believe that UFO's are a recent thing?

I think that the large number of reports that happen today are due to several factors:

1. Advent of aircraft and satellites - puts lots of things in the sky to report

2. Invention of the lightbulb - makes the night sky an unknown to the bulk of humanity

3. The internet - speeds up the reporting and fuels the fad of being someone having seen something

4. Modern life indoors - fewer people see the events themselves or they never see them at all.

All of these things create a huge number of reports that drown any potential useful sightings. If there are interesting sightings then they are drowned out by cacophony of blather.

Are UFOs a recent thing? The belief that we are being visited by aliens is fairly recent. 

• Thanks 1

I think that the large number of reports that happen today are due to several factors:

1. Advent of aircraft and satellites - puts lots of things in the sky to report

2. Invention of the lightbulb - makes the night sky an unknown to the bulk of humanity

3. The internet - speeds up the reporting and fuels the fad of being someone having seen something

4. Modern life indoors - fewer people see the events themselves or they never see them at all.

All of these things create a huge number of reports that drown any potential useful sightings. If there are interesting sightings then they are drowned out by cacophony of blather.

Are UFOs a recent thing? The belief that we are being visited by aliens is fairly recent. 

"i think that the large number of reports" does this suggest that you believe that their might be a possibility that UFO's are more than a coincidental explanation? sure i bet alot of UFO experiences people have are easily explained as one of the reasons you listed BUT when you have airforce pilots and others of repute that describe speeds and manoeuvrability beyond the limits of physics and what we can achieve then some hard questions and answers need to be addressed. 

Bolded: well before air travel 1000 years ago people would have not been able to imagine an explanation other than a religious one. so discounting or suggesting that UFO's is a recent thing isn't entirely accurate, now is it?  

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Captain Risky said:

"i think that the large number of reports" does this suggest that you believe that their might be a possibility that UFO's are more than a coincidental explanation? sure i bet alot of UFO experiences people have are easily explained as one of the reasons you listed BUT when you have airforce pilots and others of repute that describe speeds and manoeuvrability beyond the limits of physics and what we can achieve then some hard questions and answers need to be addressed. 

Bolded: well before air travel 1000 years ago people would have not been able to imagine an explanation other than a religious one. so discounting or suggesting that UFO's is a recent thing isn't entirely accurate, now is it?  

You suggest that initial reports of "speeds and manoeuvrability beyond the limits of physics" must be correct. That is not necessarily the case. Remember that aliens are subject to the same physics as we are. There is no alien physics. If you want to make such claims then you should consider pointing out specifics.

You have not shown an instance of people 1000 years seeing anything. 

I am not claiming that there is anything more than a lot of recent reports most of which are mundane for the reasons I gave as to why I think that alien reports are rather recent.

You suggest that initial reports of "speeds and manoeuvrability beyond the limits of physics" must be correct. That is not necessarily the case. Remember that aliens are subject to the same physics as we are. There is no alien physics. If you want to make such claims then you should consider pointing out specifics.

You have not shown an instance of people 1000 years seeing anything. 

I am not claiming that there is anything more than a lot of recent reports most of which are mundane for the reasons I gave as to why I think that alien reports are rather recent.

how do you know what some other intelligent life form can and can't cope with or what their technology can do to mitigate any effects of aerodynamic pressure on their bodies? 

you can think what you like. but i fail to see how a more modern lifestyle or society could be responsible for people seeing things that according to you don't exist. I've already said that any UFO sighting 1000 years ago it would have been a religious experience. and i stand by that. 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1561_celestial_phenomenon_over_Nuremberg