Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

The brain implant thought-to-speech device

Eldorado

Scientists have developed a brain implant that can read people's minds and turn their thoughts to speech.

The team at the University of California, San Francisco says the technology is "exhilarating".

They add that their findings, published in the journal Nature, could help people when disease robs them of their ability to talk.

Full monty at the BBC: https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-48037592

At the Smithsonian mag: https://www.smithsonianmag.com/science-nature/brain-implant-device-allows-people-with-speech-impairments-communicate-with-minds-180972030/

• Like 1

This could a whole new meaning to the old joke:  "Did I say that out loud?  :w00t:  It could REALLY be a boon to the #ME TOO movement ;) 

• Haha 3

Could be used for interrogation lol which would suck, not like a polygraph where you can trick yourself into believing your own bull****. This device just sucks the truth directly out of your brain

• Like 1

This would be fantastic for dogs

• Like 1

I think people would need a shrink if they put the inplant in me....

• Haha 1

Hawking would have had a field day with this.

Edited by Black Red Devil
  • Like 3

3 hours ago, Jon the frog said:

Well, if it say all what people think, it would be hilarious !

It would be disastrous...

The little lies and half truths we tell each other are all that keep us from hating and despising those closest to us...

"Honey, does this dress make me look fat?"

"Do you mind if I go play some golf with my friends this weekend?"

A person should always tell "big" truths, but little "white" lies are necessary to keep civilization going...

That being said I would love to have one of these things record my dreams so I could play them back later and try to make sense out of the chaos...

• Like 2

Now they need to devise a filter. I had a sister who we used to describe as having no filter between her brain and her mouth. She was as abrasive as sandpaper.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

It sounds like it only translates what your mouth is moving to say, so secrets are probably safe. It reads muscle signals, not thoughts.

Edited by moonman
  • Like 2

• 2 weeks later...