Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

The mute Swan has not forgotten how to sing.

Skirnum

I was walking with a friend to Ertsvika (Østerøya) a week ago. We sat down to drink caffee. It was about 10 o'clock, sunny and no wind. My friend has a French Bulldog, it was running on the beach towards two Swans. The Swans "hissed" to keep the dog away. And the dog lost interest, and went back to do what dogs do. Then the biggest Swan started the Swan song. It was not like any sound I have heard before. It was kind of dark and maybe it can be called melancholic like the myth says. I am 51 and have heard the sound of Swans 1000 times and mine friend to, but nothing like this.

I did not know the myth, but found out later when I searched the net for Swan songs. So here I am with no records, just a story and eager to tell you that the mute Swans has not forgotten the Swan song. And that the summer is coming  :-)  

(By the way, the Swan did not look like dying)

• Like 5

I have heard the myth that the swan only sings when dying and I have also heard that it is not true, that swans do have a voice, they just don't use it very often.

• Like 1

I know the swans do have a voice to. I may not have heard it a 1000 times but I have heard it. Also on youtube there is many swans goosing around hehe. But not like the Swan song me and my friend heard. And as I wrote, It did not look like it was dying. But they were both goone the next day (no dead Swan bodys) when I had a camera with a good microphone with me. Now it is just a story, like many other storys. But for me it`s a memory hehe  :-)

Edited by Skirnum
  • Like 2