Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Is it ethical to keep pets?

Still Waters

According to the UK veterinary charity The People’s Dispensary for Sick Animals (PDSA), half of Britons own a pet. Many of these owners view the 11.1m cats, 8.9m dogs, and 1m rabbits sharing their homes as family members. But although we love them, care for them, celebrate their birthdays and mourn them when they pass, is it ethical to keep pets in the first place? Some animal rights activists and ethicists, myself included, would argue that it is not.

https://theconversation.com/pets-is-it-ethical-to-keep-them-115647

• Like 1
  • Confused 2

Speaking very generally, I would say it isn't ethical. Many, many pet owners believe they give their pets a good life whereas in reality they don't.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, XenoFish said:

Your kids?:lol:

My kids are fine. So are my grandkids. None of this nonsense. My cat is neutered. Are yours acting up?

Edited by susieice
  • Haha 2

I'm all for pets(I prefer to call them companions) getting well looked after, but animal rights, PETA etc people, unlike the pets they are ''protecting"should have been drowned at birth.They complain about animals being used as food but tuck into a salad which is full of slaughtered plants.Whats the difference?They say plants scream when harvestedThey are a collective bunch of fools that should get no media time their protein depleted, plant murdering  brains crave.

• Like 7

2 minutes ago, openozy said:

I'm all for pets(I prefer to call them companions) getting well looked after, but animal rights, PETA etc people, unlike the pets they are ''protecting"should have been drowned at birth.They complain about animals being used as food but tuck into a salad which is full of slaughtered plants.Whats the difference?They say plants scream when harvestedThey are a collective bunch of fools that should get no media time their protein depleted, plant murdering  brains crave.

People b***h. Not happy unless they are. Oh well. 

• Like 4

27 minutes ago, susieice said:

My kids are fine. So are my grandkids. None of this nonsense. My cat is neutered. Are yours acting up?

I was making a joke Susie.

• Like 2

Just now, XenoFish said:

I was making a joke Susie.

I know. Right now my neutered cat is curled up on my bed after having his head rubbed and purring away. I don't think he really cares what PETA thinks. lol

• Like 6
  • Haha 2

2 hours ago, XenoFish said:

I don't care what people think. I love my fur babies. 

they'll insist that that's not really 'love', that you don't know what love is, and that your strongest feelings, your dedication, your commitment, matters not one whit... my rescued kitty would not have survived longer than a few weeks when i found her, curled up on a pile of refuse, in a windy laneway, friendless, fearful, her eyes crusted with pus from infection, scrabbling for existence, if you cd call it that, with a maw filled with rotting teeth... in a purrfect world I'd agree but it ain't so sorry 'animal rights activists'....  you lose this argument... get stuffed

Edited by purrrpetrator
to change 'puss' to 'pus'... a tad too punny
  • Like 6

So I suppose the activist want to take all the dogs and cats out of the houses and kill them all to give them a better life, or maybe letting them turn feral in the wild, spreading diseases and ripping hapless victims to shreds in the packs they would no doubt form.

Edited by South Alabam
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Dogs and cats sought out human companionship thousands of years ago. Dogs have worked next to humans through hunting, herding and protection. Dogs aren't known as man's best friend for nothing. Cats have been worshiped as gods and have not forgotten that. Strays will seek out humans. Abused animals are the fault of the humans that mistreat them. An abused animal is very capable of showing love to the people that rescue them. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

btw  the reality is if homo saps had not eaten other animals (as most other animals do) we, as a species, would very probably not be here... not in the superiority mode, at least...

all hail our mantis overlords!

• Like 4

The drain hose that's connected to my rain barrel goes right into a small tote. I've seen both deer and dog prints around it. Same with cat prints. 

• Like 2

Our rescue dog is nicely ensconced in my husband’s favourite armchair.  He probably will choose to sit elsewhere when he comes in rather than make her shift.  He is definitely her slave! :rolleyes:

• Like 4

31 minutes ago, susieice said:

Dogs and cats sought out human companionship thousands of years ago. Dogs have worked next to humans through hunting, herding and protection. Dogs aren't known as man's best friend for nothing. Cats have been worshiped as gods and have not forgotten that. Strays will seek out humans. Abused animals are the fault of the humans that mistreat them. An abused animal is very capable of showing love to the people that rescue them. 

We literally co-evolved with dogs. 

• Like 9

39 minutes ago, Grandpa Greenman said:

When my chihuahua became my alert dog, she technically was no longer a pet. She was a working dog, she went with me almost everywhere.  I depended on her to keep me from falling. She is now retired and very demanding little dog.  She demands I pet her, take her out, let her in, put her up on the bed and feed her.  She is not my pet, rather I am her slave. 

They are nothing more than a miniaturized Carolina Dog and still have all the traits of a American Indian hunting-protection dog.

• Like 9

Particular breeds, for instance, are highly susceptible to painful and frequently fatal genetic defects. Highly prized physical features – such as small and large stature or pushed-in noses – can cause discomfort and difficulty in breathing, birthing and other normal functions.

This has been going on for years, bit late now as there are many mixed breeds. But it does not mean they are in pain. 

They should be focusing on getting licences set up for all breeders and people buying pets should be checked out.

There are many bad owners out there and yet unless thier dog attacks a human, they are allowed to carry on owning pets.

Too many lax laws on who can own pets. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

22 minutes ago, Piney said:

We literally co-evolved with dogs. 

in fact it's been theorized that humans learned strategy from wolf pack methodology 

... where wd we be without it? 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Just now, purrrpetrator said:

in fact it's been theorized that humans learned strategy from wolf pack methodology 

... where wd we be without it? 

The also protected us from big cats and hyenadonts.

• Like 4

Humans have more or less always had cats and dogs as pets etc it's not morally right or wrong.

Edited by Impedancer
  • Thanks 1