Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -
DeeGee

Is organized religion wrong?

87 posts in this topic

DeeGee
Posted (edited)

Religion, specifically the Christian faith teaches in the Old Testament that mediums are all forms of fortune telling (e.g. tarot) are evil.  In the New Testament, one fortune teller was able to tell the future and it was later that one of the disciples of Jesus that pulled a demon out of her.

I have a hard time believing this as some/most psychics I've met are very loving and caring.  

So is religion wrong?

I'm not trying to start bashing organized religion, but I do know that not all the 'books' of the bible went into it.  There are numerous books held under tight lock and key by the catholic church and forbid anyone to read them (I wonder what they actually say) as well as numerous scrolls that have come to light in the past 50-100 years that tell a different story.  So again, is religion wrong?

The main purpose of this is I find myself questioning the Christian view of marriage, as my wife and I have considered an open marriage.  The Christian religion would then have me burn in hell for such a thing, yet I have a hard time thinking that a god/creator would throw someone into hell for doing something loving for their partner?  I posted a similar question on another "psychic" forum as I'd love to hear their thoughts on this and thoughts on god/creator, but all I got was a "call me at $9.99/minute and tell you all"...  

Or maybe it's just the Christian religion and Islam that has it wrong, as Buddhism teaches that marriage is a choice or an option and to continue to pursue happiness.  If marriage doesn't provide happiness, then pursue what does (and note that I'm not a Buddhist so I'm likely butchering what they believe when I state that).

Anyways, I'd love to hear your thoughts on all this, especially those of you with a view of the other side.

Cheers, 

Edited by DeeGee

GlitterRose

The OT says that, yet urim and thummim were ok if the priests did it. 

And the Magi were ok to use astrology to find Jesus.

Let's face it. Religious texts contradict themselves a lot. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Piney
22 minutes ago, DeeGee said:

I'm not trying to start bashing organized religion, but I do know that not all the 'books' of the bible went into it.  There are numerous books held under tight lock and key by the catholic church and forbid anyone to read them (I wonder what they actually say) as well as numerous scrolls that have come to light in the past 50-100 years that tell a different story.  So again, is religion wrong?

Athanasius, the Bishop of Alexandria ordered them burned. But some survived and you can read them. Also Matthew, Mark and Luke are all rewrites. Some several times. 

25 minutes ago, DeeGee said:

Buddhism teaches that marriage is a choice or an option and to continue to pursue happiness.  If marriage doesn't provide happiness, then pursue what does (and note that I'm not a Buddhist so I'm likely butchering what they believe when I state that).

There are many, many, many forms of Buddhism. Some completely opposite of each other. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Piney
28 minutes ago, DeeGee said:

I got was a "call me at $9.99/minute and tell you all"...  

We provide all free services here. We have  Chaotes, Shamans, Readers and a Vodou Houngan. :yes:

• Like 1

Not A Rockstar

I don't think any of the religions are wrong in themselves, but, any ideology can be taken too far and become wrong, real wrong. Extremism is very dangerous, be it for a faith or a political obsession, for example.

In my view of it, a good religion is a structure of beliefs and community which someone looking for a deeper understanding of spiritual things finds one they fit into and maybe as they learn and grow and think, move on to another one which best supports where they are at then. I was born into fundamentalism and have been through many until now, when I am a passionate God lover, but not any specific denomination and not interested in any religion personally, tbh. 

Let it be your journey, and go with what your deepest self knows to be true and right. If in doubt, ask God yourself, then wait until it becomes clear to you. Life is a journey, the view will change as you move along :). If It doesn't maybe you are not progressing along the walk :) 

A great thinker once said to me that you are probably ok with any religion as long as they centered on the love of God/Creator. If that was not the focus, then be careful.

• Like 5

OverSword

I like the question but I think your reason for asking is wrong.  You're just trying to justify how a line in a religious teaching counter to your own belief makes the whole religion wrong or a lie.  The question is, Is organized religion wrong?  I believe that it is for me at this time  because I think what it's really about is not religion but about power and control.  It's not about if the religion is true it's about making other people say it is and thereby gaining control over them. 

That being said here is why I believe that doesn't really matter and is as it should be.  I believe that all religions are true and you participate and are most influenced in the one that you most need right now for your own personal development, even if that influence seems negative to you and you're fighting it.  You are focusing on a teaching you assume is a Christian teaching so you are in a way participating or being influenced by Christianity at this point in your development.  Maybe later in life or in the next life you'll be  a Hindu and that too will be legitimate and as it should be, and maybe you'll be resistant to the teaching of Hinduism.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

GlitterRose
Posted (edited)
5 minutes ago, OverSword said:

I like the question but I think your reason for asking is wrong.  You're just trying to justify how a line in a religious teaching counter to your own belief makes the whole religion wrong or a lie.  The question is, Is organized religion wrong?  I believe that it is for me at this time  because I think what it's really about is not religion but about power and control.  It's not about if the religion is true it's about making other people say it is and thereby gaining control over them. 

That being said here is why I believe that doesn't really matter and is as it should be.  I believe that all religions are true and you participate and are most influenced in the one that you most need right now for your own personal development, even if that influence seems negative to you and you're fighting it.  You are focusing on a teaching you assume is a Christian teaching so you are in a way participating or being influenced by Christianity at this point in your development.  Maybe later in life or in the next life you'll be  a Hindu and that too will be legitimate and as it should be, and maybe you'll be resistant to the teaching of Hinduism.

I read it as he was just hypothesizing that they might be wrong about divination or mediums, and maybe some aspects of marriage.

Edited by GlitterRose
  • Like 2

OverSword
6 minutes ago, GlitterRose said:

I read it as he was just hypothesizing that they might be wrong about divination or mediums, and maybe some aspects of marriage.

But question is, is organized religion wrong?  But yeah, you could be right ;)

GlitterRose
Posted (edited)
1 minute ago, OverSword said:

But question is, is organized religion wrong?  But yeah, you could be right ;)

I think they're wrong about way more stuff, lol.

Still, they can get together and do some good things. 

Edited by GlitterRose
  • Like 1

freetoroam
58 minutes ago, DeeGee said:

Religion, specifically the Christian faith teaches in the Old Testament that mediums are all forms of fortune telling (e.g. tarot) are evil.  In the New Testament, one fortune teller was able to tell the future and it was later that one of the disciples of Jesus that pulled a demon out of her.

Imo it is wrong because it believes in fortune tellers and mediums in the first place.

Couple that with the man made stories of gods and angels etc, there are a whole lot of wrongs.

I can understand why man would initially create a god as the creator, but as time has moved on and our understanding of our world grew, too much has been proven not to be true.

People can not predict the future because of  a 'gift', but they can predict it by the past to a certain extent. 

1 hour ago, DeeGee said:

The Christian religion would then have me burn in hell for such a thing, yet I have a hard time thinking that a god/creator would throw someone into hell for doing something loving for their partner? 

This is ancient thinking by ancient man written in ancient books. There is no hell, but as long as you believe in all this, you will always be questioning it,  just like you are doing now.

• Like 2

Jodie.Lynne
1 hour ago, DeeGee said:

So is religion wrong?

If you think about it, all religions are based upon "the word of god" being relayed by men to men. But it all boils down to one (or a few) man who has interpreted what they believe to be divine revelation.

One would think that if there is an ultimate celestial being, it wouldn't have to rely on "joe Blow" to get its message to everyone.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

Jodie.Lynne
12 minutes ago, GlitterRose said:

Still, they can get together and do some good things. 

And Mussolini ensured that the trains ran on time....

Religion can do some good things, but do those acts outweigh the bad things done in religions name?

• Like 2

GlitterRose
1 minute ago, Jodie.Lynne said:

And Mussolini ensured that the trains ran on time....

Religion can do some good things, but do those acts outweigh the bad things done in religions name?

AHAHAHAHAHA!

True.

I think it's like anything else. Moderation is key.

You can't go all extreme on it. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

GlitterRose

It is interesting. The more extreme beliefs get, the more insular the groups become. 

So it's the ecumenical ministries who are actually working together for the greater good. 

• Like 2

Jodie.Lynne
3 minutes ago, GlitterRose said:

You can't go all extreme on it. 

I don't think it is a question of extremism though.

Let's say that I, as a secular human, give 10% of the profits of my business to feeding the homeless. A good thing, yes?

But what if my business was the manufacture & distribution of illegal narcotics?

Do my "good deeds" outweigh the fact that I engage in criminal activities?

• Like 2

GlitterRose

I don't think it is a question of extremism though.

Let's say that I, as a secular human, give 10% of the profits of my business to feeding the homeless. A good thing, yes?

But what if my business was the manufacture & distribution of illegal narcotics?

Do my "good deeds" outweigh the fact that I engage in criminal activities?

Somehow,  you're comparing apples and tire irons. 

I'm not sure where you're going with this. 

• Like 2

GlitterRose

Belief is a tool.

There's a right way to wield it, and a wrong way.

If you're not extreme about your beliefs, so you're not harming anyone with them...what's the problem?

• Like 1

DeeGee
15 minutes ago, freetoroam said:

This is ancient thinking by ancient man written in ancient books. There is no hell, but as long as you believe in all this, you will always be questioning it,  just like you are doing now.

I really think this is what (for me) it boils down to.  

I was raised Christian and have really wondered about all things, as my mind and own experiences tell me something different.  

I read somewhere that what we do in this life should be about love and if what you do brings love and enjoyment to another.  If so, then it should be good.  This tends to be my belief, but I'm wracked internally due to old teachings that I was raised under.

They say Charles Darwin apologized to God on his deathbed, wanting forgiveness.  I guess you could say he made some wrong choices/decision (in his mind) and wanted forgiveness so not to rot in hell (so to speak).  I guess I feel the same as my own personal beliefs are in such conflict.

And if there is no "hell" then what accounts for demons and lower level spirits/entities?  I guess you could say I'm terribly confused and at conflict.

Jodie.Lynne
Just now, GlitterRose said:

I'm not sure where you're going with this. 

Organized religion may do good things, but does that absolve them of the evil they have done?

4 minutes ago, GlitterRose said:

It is interesting. The more extreme beliefs get, the more insular the groups become. 

I think this statement, while true, is backwards. Extremism doesn't lead to insularity, but vice versa. Almost all religions take a stance of "we're right, they're wrong", even among sects of the same broad religion.  Sh'ites oppose Sunnis; Orthodox Jews oppose other Jewish beliefs; the ten thousand Christian sects all think they have the right answer, and all other Christians are mistaken. The only thing they can all agree on is that EVERYONE else is wrong and going to hell.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

GlitterRose

Organized religion may do good things, but does that absolve them of the evil they have done?

I think this statement, while true, is backwards. Extremism doesn't lead to insularity, but vice versa. Almost all religions take a stance of "we're right, they're wrong", even among sects of the same broad religion.  Sh'ites oppose Sunnis; Orthodox Jews oppose other Jewish beliefs; the ten thousand Christian sects all think they have the right answer, and all other Christians are mistaken. The only thing they can all agree on is that EVERYONE else is wrong and going to hell.

If their beliefs are not extreme, and they aren't hurting people with them, then they're different than those who came before them.

You may think my statement is backwards, but I disagree. I think it's the extreme beliefs that lead groups to become insular. A more liberal Christian doesn't believe every other sect is going to Hell, otherwise, they wouldn't be ecumenical. That's an assumption on your part. 

• Like 3

acute

Buddhism and Native American beliefs are closer to the spiritual truth.

Organized religion is a thing from the past that we will eventually outgrow.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

GlitterRose
1 minute ago, acute said:

I think the gathering once a week to compare clothing and gossip may very well eventually die out. 

• Like 3

Piney
13 minutes ago, Jodie.Lynne said:

Can you find any evil done by the Unitarian Church?  A Quaker Yearly Meeting?

I can't excuse Tendai though. We went up against more that one Shogun and the Byodo-In has protected many of the Yakuza. 

• Like 2

Jodie.Lynne
2 minutes ago, GlitterRose said:

A more liberal Christian

I apologize for seeming antagonistic, but that very statement of yours proves my point by implication. By implying that the less liberal sects of Christianity are incorrect in their beliefs. You may not believe Christians from other sects are destined for hell because of the tenets of their faith, but there are plenty of Christians who think otherwise.

And just because those sects may be "allied" under the flag of Christendom, doesn't mean that they don't think they are just a little bit more godly than the others. And I'm not talking about the extreme sects, either!

Every good Protestant "knows" that the Roman Catholics are "OK", but are straying from the 'true path'.

Every good Roman Catholic "knows" that Baptists are "OK", but are just a little too flamboyant.

Etc., etc., etc.

If that wasn't so, then why are there so many different versions of the Christian faith?

• Like 2

Piney
6 minutes ago, acute said:

Some Buddhism still leans towards superstition. 

• Like 1