Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

The afterlife...true or just comforting?

marsman

imagine being on a mountain. the guy at the top can see much farther that the guy at the bottom. maybe there are people that have experienced things that the others havent. its like politics....people think that the democrats are big helpers and progressive, but from higher up the mountian you can see how they are destroying america and dividing it.  you have to experience it and then you can see it. 

5 minutes ago, pbarosso said:

but people do see without their eyes. as in the case of NDEs for example. tons of people see whats happening to them from a third person POV. then they go on to some tunnel or other. i find that fascinating. how do they see whats going on?

You're still getting sensory clues as to what's going on, so your brain creates a mental model of it. Why trapping in a hypnagogic/hypnopompic state.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, pbarosso said:

imagine being on a mountain. the guy at the top can see much farther that the guy at the bottom. maybe there are people that have experienced things that the others havent. its like politics....people think that the democrats are big helpers and progressive, but from higher up the mountian you can see how they are destroying america and dividing it.  you have to experience it and then you can see it. 

Does the idea of complete non-existence bother you? 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, pbarosso said:

do YOU understand english? you CANNOT EXPERIENCE nothing. its basic english

Good one, then properly, death is the cessation of experience by your definition.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, pbarosso said:

if nothing was nothing or nothing = dead then you would still be =nothing. you cant experience "nothing".  so what youre saying is that there is "nothing" to observe. and in that case there IS something.

ive had a general anaesthetic before an operation.....i slipped under while counting to ten.....i later was roused by the nurses.....id had 52 stitches in my scalp

i felt nothing...remembered nothing...heard nothing...took me a while to work out why i was even there

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, marsman said:

didnt Plato use paragraph breaks?   :blink:

That depended on whom he was intending his writing to be directed at. For you, it would not have mattered, as you would be just as confused, with or without the breaks. And he used apostrophes too.

Besides, you should have written, "Did Plato use paragraph breaks? By using didn't it becomes an affirmation, rather than a question.

But if it's a question you posed, why do you want to know?

• Confused 1

29 minutes ago, pbarosso said:

thats interesting. how would an afterlife existing make life meaningless? what if its like school. what if its like entertainment? what IF WE are part of some civilization thats to far advanced that they created a  matrix existence and this is nothing but a simulation, because those advanced people are so bored they need new experiences? who knows.

Other possibilities arise from your surmise.  Are we even alive or just computer programs computing experiences for your advanced civilization?   What happens to the data in a computer program when the computer is turned off?  The computer is still there, electrons go on their merry way back to the power plant and then on to heat a toaster,  What happens to the data, the pattern that existed nanoseconds before the computer was turned off?  It is gone.  Your atoms may be floating around in chickadees and garden snails, but the pattern that was you is gone.

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, Pettytalk said:

That depended on whom he was intending his writing to be directed at. For you, it would not have mattered, as you would be just as confused, with or without the breaks. And he used apostrophes too.

Besides, you should have written, "Did Plato use paragraph breaks? By using didn't it becomes an affirmation, rather than a question.

But if it's a question you posed, why do you want to know?

because trying to read a wall of text you posted without paragraph breaks makes the old eyes of mine go wonky....

Edited by marsman

39 minutes ago, spartan max2 said:

Actually I would argue one of the strongest points about NDEs Is that they are pretty consistent. People normally see "beings of light". People from all faiths 

Maybe that is a result of all human brains being very similar in form and function rather than an outside reality.

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, pbarosso said:

maybe there are people that have experienced things that the others havent. its like politics....people think that the democrats are big helpers and progressive, but from higher up the mountian you can see how they are destroying america and dividing it. 

That is  a pretty strange segue  There are plenty of political dog fights among the many threads of UM.  I would as soon this not become one.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

53 minutes ago, marsman said:

ive had a general anaesthetic before an operation.....i slipped under while counting to ten.....i later was roused by the nurses.....id had 52 stitches in my scalp

i felt nothing...remembered nothing...heard nothing...took me a while to work out why i was even there

but you woke up and your existence continues, and those people unders G.A. have been aware for whatever reason.

Edited by pbarosso

25 minutes ago, Tatetopa said:

That is  a pretty strange segue  There are plenty of political dog fights among the many threads of UM.  I would as soon this not become one.

just an example. i would not argue it any further here because i would be directed to another forum topic no doubt. lets say then: to recognize bullying you would have to no what is right or wrong in order to make the observation....as a base way of stating it...

before man discovered the earth was a sphere it was flat for example. to see the curve from a huge height could give someone this POV. maybe this is a better example.

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, Tatetopa said:

Other possibilities arise from your surmise.  Are we even alive or just computer programs computing experiences for your advanced civilization?   What happens to the data in a computer program when the computer is turned off?  The computer is still there, electrons go on their merry way back to the power plant and then on to heat a toaster,  What happens to the data, the pattern that existed nanoseconds before the computer was turned off?  It is gone.  Your atoms may be floating around in chickadees and garden snails, but the pattern that was you is gone.

it IS possible. but if thats possible then so is myriad other possibilities. to say with authority its one way or another without direct proof is called faith. some people have more direct proof in their opinion.

55 minutes ago, marsman said:

Never mind there. How long is it going to take before you figure out why you're here?

• Haha 1

33 minutes ago, pbarosso said:

but you woke up and your existence continues,

... Hmm what if .. 
but you woke up as your existence continues and you're stuck to this thing that insists its god
  BUT I"M LIKE NO DUDE YOU'RE PART OF ME WAKE UP! yeah we don't all get along with goddess/godesses/god/gawds but
 if they're oh gawds then they already know.
Misc.:
 Upon my arrival....*Echos of, "oh gawd its her"* come wafting to my ears.

Edited by MWoo7
_______________________________________________________ added misc.

44 minutes ago, marsman said:

because trying to read a wall of text you posted without paragraph breaks makes the old eyes of mine go wonky....

Trying to read walls? One climbs walls, not read them. Apparently you have not read Plato. That was an English translation rendition of Plato's writing. And anyone reading Plato. or rather, able to read Plato, in a way so as to understand him, needs no paragraph breaks, as sufficient punctuation alone will do. And you are not punctual enough to get the breaks around here.

4 minutes ago, MWoo7 said:

... Hmm what if .. 
but you woke up as your existence continues and you're stuck to this thing that insists its god
  BUT I"M LIKE NO DUDE YOU'RE PART OF ME WAKE UP! yeah we don't all get along with goddess/godesses/god/gawds but
 if they're oh gawds then they already know.
 Echos of, "oh gawd its her".

I understand you totally, unlike some of the others around here, that say they don't. They don't see they are all sleeping. Purr on.

• Like 2

COOL !  Sleeping? well some of us ME FOR ONE ! try to keep from doing toooooooo much of that and my evil is always say SAYING! {][][{{[[GRRR TYPOS <SNIP>!}}]] that's for the dead plenty of time for that later.

Ah, just twattling away here I like to read some of your stuff as it might not be perfect for everyone's mind of thought but it good for thinking and seeing and keeping boredom away.

Yeah some live to pick, like my Auntie down in the Carolinas ? or was it Virginias ? eh they move around.

LASTLY but more likely>>>>Quickly and in closing life is short finally in brief, you have to take what I say as hilarity most of the time as I'm just making light or having fun.  Okay I've a kitchen to burn down LATERZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ

Edited by MWoo7
_______________________________________________________ mmm needed just one more > [ > ]
  • Haha 4

22 minutes ago, Pettytalk said:

Never mind there. How long is it going to take before you figure out why you're here?

WHAT?   make sense please....this isnt puzzle time

1 hour ago, pbarosso said:

Only the democrats? You must be a republican! There are no mountains high enough to see the truth. The only way to see it is from heaven, or hell.

33 minutes ago, Pettytalk said:

Apparently you have not read Plato.

read Plato? why would I ? he was wrong on everything.....be careful whose advice you take....:lol:

Plato is Terrible

Now, please excuse me while I backpedal. I’m sure Plato was good, great, brilliant, or whatever else you want to call him, at the time he was alive. It’s just that his philosophy is no longer good in a modern context. Just like Newton’s Principia Mathematica was once the cutting edge of physics but is now outdated, and thus not taught from, so Plato’s philosophy, and that of the rest of the ancient Greeks, is outdated and should no longer be taught from, no matter how good it was “for its time.”

https://screwplato.wordpress.com/2010/10/15/ancient-greek-philosophy/

Plato got virtually everything wrong

You could never call Plato overrated. He was clearly a genius of sorts. He set the terms of philosophical debates that have run for millennia and many of his own positions have lasted as long, albeit with revisions. But on virtually every point that mattered he was disastrously wrong, and his errors entrenched fundamental mistakes that would hamper philosophy and intellectual culture forever more.
https://www.prospectmagazine.co.uk/magazine/plato-got-virtually-everything-wrong

Edited by marsman
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, XenoFish said:

I don't care either way. To be honest, if an afterlife does indeed exist, then this life is absolutely meaningless. Same goes towards the concept of reincarnation. Which would make every life you'd live utterly pointless. 

You have hit the nail on the head, but not absolutely. It is meaningless for the body, but not for the soul. Because death for the soul is meaningless. It's a game, in the end. Get whatever pleasure or pain you wish out of this cycle of life, as it's all entertainment for us. Our Father and creator will entertain us in eternity, and we are all one big happy family, in the end. An end that has no real ending, just a some paragraph breaks.

Oh the games people play now
Every night and every day now
Never meaning what they say now
Never saying what they mean

And they wile away the hours
In their ivory towers
Till they're covered up with flowers
In the back of a black limousine

Chorus
La-da da da da da da da
La-da da da da da de
Talking 'bout you and me
And the games people play

Oh we make one another cry
Break a heart then we say goodbye
Cross our hearts and we hope to die
That the other was to blame

Neither one will give in
So we gaze at our eight by ten
Thinking 'bout the things that might have been
It's a dirty rotten shame

Repeat Chorus

People walking up to you
Singing glory hallelulia
And they're tryin to sock it to you
In the name of the Lord

They're gonna teach you how to meditate
Read your horoscope, cheat your faith
And further more to hell with hate
Come on and get on board

Repeat Chorus

Look around tell me what you see
What's happening to you and me
God grant me the serenity
To remember who I am

Cause you've given up your sanity
For your pride and your vanity
Turns you sad on humanity
And you don't give a da da da da da

42 minutes ago, Pettytalk said:

Trying to read walls? One climbs walls, not read them. Apparently you have not read Plato. That was an English translation rendition of Plato's writing. And anyone reading Plato. or rather, able to read Plato, in a way so as to understand him, needs no paragraph breaks, as sufficient punctuation alone will do. And you are not punctual enough to get the breaks around here.

one climbs walls eh?   thats only true for perverts, burglars....and cats

kindly address the topic and quit the dumb-ass replies.....

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Yeah, whole lot of talk with no evidence that a thing called the soul exist. It's a spiritual/religious concept for a wish. The wish that death isn't the end of life. Yet, we've got absolutely no evidence the soul exist.

• Like 3