Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

US cops seek return of $30,000 dropped on road

Still Waters

Police have asked for the return of $30,000 (£23,000) that fell off the back of a truck in Michigan.

Officers responding to a traffic problem on Thursday came across drivers scrambling to pick up dollar bills strewn across Route 31.

The owner told police he had accidentally left a box carrying the cash on the bumper of his truck.

As of Saturday about $7,000 had been handed in, prompting a grateful message from officers on Facebook.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-48080660

https://edition.cnn.com/2019/04/28/us/michigan-grand-haven-money-road/index.html

• Like 2

• The title was changed to US cops seek return of $30,000 dropped on road

Ouch!

• Like 2

If you can forget 30K on the back of your bumper then you didn't need it. I would absolutely not return the $. His negligence, my reward. Lol

Edited by AllPossible
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2
  • Confused 1

left a box containing a year's wages for many people on the bumper of a truck?
Wants it returned?
WTF, man. Dumb is dumb, and if I found that money I'd not return it.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

though i've never been to the us they're mine i dropped them :-)

Edited by Impedancer

Yeah, honestly, I'm not so sure I wouldn't pocket some of it.

Just because he had $30k to lose doesn�t mean he didn�t need it to, say, pay wages to his employees. Even if not, mistakes happen and that money, IMO, is not 'finders keepers'. It is stealing it.
There is a current issue here in U.K. with a couple of known criminals winning �4million on a scratch card. Only problem is it is thought the ticket was bought with a stolen debit card. Money being withheld pro tem but the men insIst the win is theirs by right. As the men don�t have bank accounts the card couldn�t be theirs.........

ETA. Why do commas etc not appear in the text properly on this site.  Is there a way round it?

Edited by Susanc241

1 hour ago, Susanc241 said:

Just because he had $30k to lose doesn�t mean he didn�t need it to, say, pay wages to his employees. Even if not, mistakes happen and that money, IMO, is not 'finders keepers'. It is stealing it.
There is a current issue here in U.K. with a couple of known criminals winning �4million on a scratch card. Only problem is it is thought the ticket was bought with a stolen debit card. Money being withheld pro tem but the men insIst the win is theirs by right. As the men don�t have bank accounts the card couldn�t be theirs.........

ETA. Why do commas etc not appear in the text properly on this site.  Is there a way round it?

I am not sure, what device are you using? @Saru

1 hour ago, Susanc241 said:

Are you copying and pasting your posts in from an external text editor ? If so, then that's the reason apostrophes aren't showing up.

Hilarious. People speak as if being dumb is a crime, not needing something automatically means "it is mine if I found it". How come this human's generation become like this..

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Saru said:

Are you copying and pasting your posts in from an external text editor ? If so, then that's the reason apostrophes aren't showing up.

I am using a iPad and posting my comments using the direct on-screen box, as now.  When I apostrophise at this stage they look normal.  But I bet this'll be a question mark once I click on submit reply.

Well I never!  Didn’t do it this time.  So, not consistent.  Wonder what changes things.

Edited by Susanc241

38 minutes ago, Susanc241 said:

I am using a iPad and posting my comments using the direct on-screen box, as now.  When I apostrophise at this stage they look normal.  But I bet this'll be a question mark once I click on submit reply.

Well I never!  Didn’t do it this time.  So, not consistent.  Wonder what changes things.

Not sure why that should be - but it's good that it's working now. :)

On 4/29/2019 at 3:16 AM, Susanc241 said:

so did the guy whose cards was stolen got the winnings? according to their logic the ticket is legally his, and he should keep the winning. or lotto found an excuse not pay either of them?

• Like 1

How does one neglect that amount of money? But then, when I go to an ATM I have found debits cards left by the last user.

15 hours ago, aztek said:

so did the guy whose cards was stolen got the winnings? according to their logic the ticket is legally his, and he should keep the winning. or lotto found an excuse not pay either of them?

No idea.  The item seems to have dropped out of the news.

The guy had a brain fart.   We all have.   I'd give him his money back.     

Would you guys steal his car if he accidentally left his keys in it?

• Like 1