Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

New DNA algorithm changes your ethnicity

Eldorado

"Time to get that Viking tattoo removed? Ancestry updates DNA results"

"DNA-profiling website Ancestry is rolling out a huge update to its ethnicity database - and changing the ethnic origin of many of its customers."

Full rport at SMH Australia: https://www.smh.com.au/national/time-to-get-that-viking-tattoo-removed-ancestry-updates-dna-results-20190426-p51hmh.html?

"Likewise, in a recent CNBC report, one writer saw a dramatic shift in her heritage, as it jumped from just 8 percent of her heritage originating from Great Britain to 71 percent.."

At the Daily Mail: https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencetech/article-6972711/Ancestry-com-fire-update-database-drastically-changes-ethnicity-users.html

• Like 2

I will never get some peoples' obsession with that stuff. Whatever someone's distant ancestry was has little to do with them.

So your great-great-treat-etc grandpa was the first King of Sweden? Well congratulations, Does that in any way improve or change your life?.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 3

I don't understand the obsession people have with their ancestry, I really don't.  My last name is Irish but the side of the family that name is from was living here when the states were British colonies so who knows what was bred into the line.  My maternal Grandfather was 100% Swedish so I've got some of that in me but what difference does it make?  Zero.  Your ethnicity should not be a matter of pride it is a circumstance of birth.  If you want to be proud of something be proud of an accomplishment.

• Like 3

Just now, Orphalesion said:

I will never get some peoples' obsession with that stuff. Whatever someone's distant ancestry was has little to do with them.

So your great-great-treat-etc grandpa was the first King of Sweden? Well congratulations, Does that in any way improve or change your life?.

Right on that page with you.  Who cares?  My God some of the people crying on YouTube when they find out they have different DNA than they thought is so pathetic.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, Orphalesion said:

When I was historian and librarian for the Salem Quarter which was the first English settlement in New Jersey, people drove me crazy looking for their original settler or Indian ancestors. Thank God for Ancestry! 

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

30 minutes ago, Piney said:

When I was historian and librarian for the Salem Quarter which was the first English settlement in New Jersey, people drove me crazy looking for their original settler or Indian ancestors. Thank God for Ancestry! 

I personally absolutely *love* it when people say they are Irish/Norwegian/Hungarian (as opposed to saying that they have ancestry from those places) when, in reality one of their ancestors from five generations ago was a member of those cultures. They have never lived in (or even been to) Ireland/Norway/Hungary, they don't know anything about the culture or customs of Ireland/Norway/Hungary, they don't speak a word of Gaelic/Norwegian/Hungarian, but somehow they magically "are" a member of those cultures because some distant relation was. Yeah no....

Edited by Orphalesion
  • Like 2
  • Haha 2

I think i have 20% neanderthal DNA still in my system. The other 80% is a made up of where the neanderthals heading to throughout the centuries, who they bred with and how we evolved.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, freetoroam said:

I think i have 20% neanderthal DNA still in my system. The other 80% is a made up of where the neanderthals heading to throughout the centuries, who they bred with and how we evolved.

I doubt it. I think yours is 20% Neanderthals and 80% alien. Like the rest of us.

Edited by XenoFish
  • Haha 1

i mean since one of my parent's is adopted i've occasionally wondered what their birth parents were like but this wouldn't really help with that

also my grandparents were some of the best people i've ever known so dna and blood relation can take a hike

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, seaturtlehorsesnake said:

i mean since one of my parent's is adopted i've occasionally wondered what their birth parents were like but this wouldn't really help with that

also my grandparents were some of the best people i've ever known so dna and blood relation can take a hike

You'd be surprised. It isn't just about ethnicity. Watch that Finding Your Roots on PBS some time. In several instances, samples compared with other submitted DNA allowed them to do an end run around sealed adoption records. The catch of course is someone related to you has to've already submitted theirs.

On ‎29‎/‎04‎/‎2019 at 11:28 PM, freetoroam said:

I did mine expecting something like 74% English, 24% Irish, and 2% other European.

I got back 40% German, 32% English, 26% Irish, and 2% other European. That was a surprise.

• Like 2