Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

God of philosophy and God of religion

oslove

After having talked with atheists for years and years, I have come to the conclusion that atheists don't think at all when the question is God exists or not, they just evade the question altogether and rave against religion.

So I say to myself perhaps atheists can talk with me about God from the standpoint of philosophy and psychology, that is why I put the present thread in the board here which is about philosophy and psychology.

Now, the way I see it, philosophy is all about man seeking the programming that exists or might exist or should exist in everything that man is exposed to by his conscious experience, and with thinking about his experiences, thereby coming to an idea on what is the programming that exists or might exist or should exist in any realm of experience he is exposed to.

For example, there is a philosophy of artificial intelligence, which has to do with intelligent folks figuring out what the programming that exists or might exist or should exist with artificial intelligence, i.e. intelligence of robots.

What about religion, it is a realm of human experience, can we have a philosophy of religion, and also a psychology of religion?

Let me read the reactions of colleagues here in this website on unexplained mysteries, at this point on the launching pad of this thread.

I know plenty of atheists that would answer you.  The answer would be no and then the chance of an actual interesting conversation would be over.  The people you're talking about are just people that hate religion.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 4

15 minutes ago, oslove said:

After having talked with atheists for years and years, I have come to the conclusion that atheists don't think at all when the question is God exists or not, they just evade the question altogether and rave against religion.

The existence or non-existence of god is a trivial matter. Because there is nothing definitive to base god off of. You can't find something that you don't know what to look for.

So I say to myself perhaps atheists can talk with me about God from the standpoint of philosophy and psychology, that is why I put the present thread in the board here which is about philosophy and psychology.

God is an idea, it can be functional, even beneficial to some people.

Now, the way I see it, philosophy is all about man seeking the programming that exists or might exist or should exist in everything that man is exposed to by his conscious experience, and with thinking about his experiences, thereby coming to an idea on what is the programming that exists or might exist or should exist in any realm of experience he is exposed to.

Philosophy is common sense made poetic.

For example, there is a philosophy of artificial intelligence, which has to do with intelligent folks figuring out what the programming that exists or might exist or should exist with artificial intelligence, i.e. intelligence of robots.

That's not a philosophy but a science. People are trying to figure out how to create self-aware machines.

What about religion, it is a realm of human experience, can we have a philosophy of religion, and also a psychology of religion?

A religion is many things. Another person spirituality being one. The psychology of religion is mostly about finding a meaning to ones existence and a structured approach to belief. 

Let me read the reactions of colleagues here in this website on unexplained mysteries, at this point on the launching pad of this thread.

I'm going to regret this.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

40 minutes ago, OverSword said:

I know plenty of atheists that would answer you.  The answer would be no and then the chance of an actual interesting conversation would be over.  The people you're talking about are just people that hate religion.

I've found the same thing to be true.  It's one thing to have a sincere belief that a Creator is a fantasy but be willing to discuss why you believe it and remain cordial while enumerating your points on the topic.  It's quite another to spend the time taking shots at the believer's intellect and education.  It's why I don't bother with these kinds of threads very often.  It's just a waste of time.

• Thanks 1

52 minutes ago, oslove said:

I have come to the conclusion that atheists don't think at all when the question is God exists or not, they just evade the question altogether and rave against religion.

I do not believe in a god.

I do not hate religion.

I have no reason to evade the question, my answer is = no  god.

Edited by freetoroam
  • Like 4

I want to be the God of getting hammered and railing strippers. Or as i call it, Monday.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Thanks everyone for your reactions.

Now as we are into difference between God of philosophy and God of religion, it is logical that we first work together to concur on a concept of God; otherwise we could be talking past each other's head, which is no communication at all.

From my stock knowledge, in plain words, God in concept is the creator of heaven and earth; that is what I learned in Sunday school, from The Apostles' Creed, namely in the following underlined words in the said creed:

"I believe in God the father almighty, creator of heaven and earth..."

Dear colleagues here, do you have any concepts of God?

Let you present your concepts of God, so that we can all work as to concur on a mutually agreed on concept of God.

25 minutes ago, XenoFish said:

God is an idea and it is whatever a person chooses to believe. 

Dear Xeno, let us take you as one whatever person; so what is your very own personally believe to be the idea of God?

I am another whatever person, and I personally choose to take for my idea the following concept of God, namely: God in concept is the creator of heaven and earth.

So, dear every colleague here, consider yourselves as each one an individual whatever person, and present what is your very own personally believe or know to be the concept of God.

In that manner we will come to several concepts of God from several whatever person you are to be; and we all can then study these several concepts of God, to concur on one that is composed of the contributions of concepts of God from each several whatever person you represent each one to be.

20 hours ago, OverSword said:

That is why for my own consideration it is impossible to have an intelligent reasonable communication with atheists, atheists who just hate religion; and their hatred of religion impedes their mind to think intelligently according to sound reasoning on the God of philosophy and the God of religion.

Dear atheist colleagues here, please divest your heart and mind of hatred, so as to approach in an academically neutral manner what is your concept of God.

Otherwise you just hate without knowing precisely what is the object you are hating, and that is no way at all for a rational person to be employing the most critically distinctive feature of mankind, namely, the capacity for objective i.e. non-emotional examination of an issue, like is there the existence of God or not?

4 minutes ago, XenoFish said:

God is either meaningful or meaningless to whomever chooses to believe or not believe.

Well, I guess, dear Xeno, that you are into what I might call the attitude of obstruction to all communication mode altogether, by as in a shooting contest you just keep on shooting into all directions, but not toward the bull's eye at the center of a canvass with concentric circles, in the center of these concentric circles there is the image of a bull's eye.

See image of a bull’s eye target (highlight the link below and open the link):

https://www.google.com/imgres?imgurl=https%3A%2F%2Fdrdavidbull.files.wordpress.com%2F2011%2F07%2Fbullseyeii1.jpg&imgrefurl=https%3A%2F%2Fdrdavidbull.org%2Fcategory%2Fopinion-pieces%2Fpage%2F3%2F&docid=nwYkCyk12V1KZM&tbnid=BnqgTVZrOSTIeM%3A&vet=10ahUKEwjMldL8r_jhAhWl3mEKHYjPCk4QMwjBAShNME0..i&w=302&h=302&client=firefox-b-d&bih=382&biw=751&q=bull's eye&ved=0ahUKEwjMldL8r_jhAhWl3mEKHYjPCk4QMwjBAShNME0&iact=mrc&uact=8

Maybe I've already hit the mark and seen things for what they are. The results being 'disagreeable' to most. 

19 hours ago, freetoroam said:

I do not believe in a god.

I do not hate religion.

I have no reason to evade the question, my answer is = no  god.

I must commend you for not hating religion, still I request that as a member of this unexplained mysteries website, folks here are into explaining things which have not been explained.

So, what do you say, will you seek to explain what if you have any, your concept of a god?

You see, in addition to stating your position that you don't believe in a god, it behooves you to also inform readers what is your concept of a god.

21 minutes ago, XenoFish said:

Maybe I've already hit the mark and seen things for what they are. The results being 'disagreeable' to most. 

'Disagreeable' to most, that is not fair to most, I beg your indulgence, dear Xeno.

Is there some academic issue that you and I can talk about productively to the advancement of knowledge to us both?

What about us working on what is religion from the experiential approach, i.e. we experience with observing what religious people are into in their practice of their religion - the observing is our experience: we look carefully at the religious conduct of people when they do their religion, and consider what is the core common denominator of their purpose in the exercise of their religion.

You will say again that you will regret contributing to this thread, please I beg you, cease and desist already from regrets: do something useful to readers here, instead of talking from regrets.

Why would one define something they have no belief in?

think you’re fishing in the dark with irrelevant bait. If I don’t believe in something the single definition would be imaginary-or baseless claim. That would be a relevant stance to take.

one would not develop a concept of that they do not believe in.... 

• Like 3

20 hours ago, and then said:

I've found the same thing to be true.  It's one thing to have a sincere belief that a Creator is a fantasy but be willing to discuss why you believe it and remain cordial while enumerating your points on the topic.  It's quite another to spend the time taking shots at the believer's intellect and education.  It's why I don't bother with these kinds of threads very often.  It's just a waste of time.

"Just a waste of time."

I would not be here at all in this unexplained mysteries website, if I am into just a waste of time.

The fact is that I enjoy examining issues and ideas, with folks in a web forum; for at no time in the history of mankind do we have a venue as now we have in a web forum, where anyone with a good mind can, with the utmost convenience and freedom, expound on this thoughts: and get to learn from others of a similar heart and mind, to satisfy his desire for knowledge.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, OverSword said:

Right, there is a big difference between an actual atheist and a person who hates religion.  I fall in to the later category but I am not an atheist.  And I know true atheists and they would discuss it with you.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Wes83 said:

Why would one define something they have no belief in?

think you’re fishing in the dark with irrelevant bait. If I don’t believe in something the single definition would be imaginary-or baseless claim. That would be a relevant stance to take.

one would not develop a concept of that they do not believe in.... 

"one would not develop a concept of that they do not believe in.... "

Let you and me just bring up one thing that you don't believe in, and then we will examine why we don't believe in it or about it.

I ask you, are you not into senseless-ness or pure irrationality declaring that you don't have to develop a concept on what you don't believe in?

Say, you don't believe in circumcision, and people ask you what you know to be circumcision, but instead of telling them what you know to be circumcision which you don't believe in or about, you just declare:

"I would not develop a concept of that I do not believe in."

Then in a shipwreck you find yourself washed up on a strange island where the natives practice circumcision, and they do that to any man who just happens to chance upon their island from a shipwreck.

They tell you, "It is our rule with men washed up on our island, that they must choose between circumcision or glansectomy."*

Now you are in a most dire situation, as you don't know what is circumcision and what is glansectomy, just the same you seek safety with declaring that you don't believe in circumcision; so they put you to sleep with some unconsciousness inducing drink made from their own medicinal herbs.

When you wake up you scream with horror, your glans penis (the ram head part of the penis**) is gone.

*Google the word "glansectomy."

**Google image: "ram head part of the penis."

14 minutes ago, Desertrat56 said:

Right, there is a big difference between an actual atheist and a person who hates religion.  I fall in to the later category but I am not an atheist.  And I know true atheists and they would discuss it with you.

You hate religion, and I just invited Xeno to for us two work as to know what is religion, from what I call the experiential approach.

Observe what religious people do everywhere in their practice of their religion, there is a core common denominator in their religious life, and that core common denominator is not at all hate-oriented.

8 minutes ago, oslove said:

know what is religion

Religion is a structured approach to someone else's spirituality. Typically a cult with made up rules, regulations and spiritual woo. The biggest issue with religion is that it is a cult of ego. Not all religious are white light, rainbows, and happy kitty cat farts.

19 minutes ago, oslove said:

You hate religion, and I just invited Xeno to for us two work as to know what is religion, from what I call the experiential approach.

Observe what religious people do everywhere in their practice of their religion, there is a core common denominator in their religious life, and that core common denominator is not at all hate-oriented.

You are using semantics to confuse the issue.  I hate religion because it is used to manipulate large groups of people, not because it teaches anything about god.  If any religion were the TRUE religion and god cared there would only be one religion allowed.  By definition, religion is rules that a set of people are expected to live by and the lie is that those rules came from god.  If they did why do so many religions disagree about god's rules?  because they are not god's rules they are human's rules.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, Desertrat56 said:

You are using semantics to confuse the issue.  I hate religion because it is used to manipulate large groups of people, not because it teaches anything about god.  If any religion were the TRUE religion and god cared there would only be one religion allowed.  By definition, religion is rules that a set of people are expected to live by and the lie is that those rules came from god.  If they did why do so many religions disagree about god's rules?  because they are not god's rules they are human's rules.

Well Holy Hell!!! We agree on something.

1 hour ago, XenoFish said:

happy kitty cat farts.

"""  HAPPY KITTY CAT FARTS ! "  huh maybe that's a framer eh?!~?!?!?  Sounds like an analogy<(prof. word, adds cred(credit/value/weight) to driveling spiels of meaningless platitudes) closely related to super hyper-elaborated theoretical lingo spin as in infamous unicorn popcorn farts.

To topic, I'm thinking atheists, well, some, have moved to agnostic LABEL like some churches moved quickly from having a fearless leader to kick the CULT label.  misc. thoughts no reply necessary laterzzzzzzzzzz
LASTLY::::

... speaking of framers and I'm all out of frames BOO!

1 hour ago, Desertrat56 said:

If any religion were the TRUE religion and god cared there would only be one religion allowed.  By definition, religion is rules that a set of people are expected to live by and the lie is that those rules came from god.  If they did why do so many religions disagree about god's rules?

* crickets*

eeh its a lot to take in.

Edited by MWoo7

38 minutes ago, XenoFish said:

Well Holy Hell!!! We agree on something.

You can never assume anything about me.  I am not what someone called me once "a believer" I am "a thinker" so there will always be something we disagree about and something we agree about.  You don't need to be surprised.

• Like 1