Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Scientists: Earth Endangered By New Strain of

Hanslune

20 minutes ago, Hanslune said:

“Our research is very preliminary, but it’s possible that they will become more receptive to facts once they are in an environment without food, water, or oxygen,” he said.

Ya think?  :w00t:

• Like 1

And nearly all of them take up careers in journalism :hmm: 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3

On a semi-serious note, I think they've always been there... what's changed is the social attitude toward science and scientists.  In my youth, these people would have been shunted off to the corner with "no, scientists say you're wrong" and evidence in the form of research unloaded on them.

Now, these people say "no, science is wrong" and unload "evidence" in the form of third hand anecdotes as proof that the world is what they think it is.

The new paradigms about "school destroys minds and creativity and personal expression" tend to support the "third hand anecdotes trump multiple experiments" concept.

• Thanks 4

4 hours ago, Vlad the Mighty said:

Or politics!!!

Personally, I try not to engage with them. Invariably it is a waste of time.

Edited by Ozymandias
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 2

Definition of Trump Supporting, Climate Change deniers:

Fact-resistant humans who are threatening the ability of Earth to sustain life  

Edited by joc
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Andy Borowitz is a Times best-selling author and a comedian who has written for The New Yorker since 1998. He writes The Borowitz Report, a satirical column on the news.

Source document for the space balls academy website.

https://www.newyorker.com/humor/borowitz-report/scientists-earth-endangered-by-new-strain-of-fact-resistant-humans

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Vlad the Mighty said:

and politics !

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Vlad the Mighty said:

American and British journalism. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

13 hours ago, Hanslune said:

While reaffirming the gloomy assessments of the study, Logsdon held out hope that the threat of fact-resistant humans could be mitigated in the future.

"fact-resistant humans" are a threat? What is so threatening about morons? The answer to bad information isn't censorship, it's more and better information. Let people believe what they want ffs

2 hours ago, Dark_Grey said:

"fact-resistant humans" are a threat? What is so threatening about morons? The answer to bad information isn't censorship, it's more and better information. Let people believe what they want ffs

some unfortunately obtain political power or become influential in other areas.....

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

11 hours ago, Kenemet said:

On a semi-serious note, I think they've always been there... what's changed is the social attitude toward science and scientists.  In my youth, these people would have been shunted off to the corner with "no, scientists say you're wrong" and evidence in the form of research unloaded on them.

Now, these people say "no, science is wrong" and unload "evidence" in the form of third hand anecdotes as proof that the world is what they think it is.

The new paradigms about "school destroys minds and creativity and personal expression" tend to support the "third hand anecdotes trump multiple experiments" concept.

They always existed I can remember mimeograph posters and bizarre ads in the back of magazines - lunatics had little ability to communicate with the rest of us. Those of them, and me, who liked crazy stuff found it hard to find such material - the internet has made them available to all and to allow them to join to create a new type of Civilization - one based on shared stupidity.

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, Jon the frog said:

Well Canadian too...

In the last few years, even the German and Austrian media has gone down the tubes. 

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

I am unfamiliar with the website that hosted the article.  Was that a serious article, or something closer to items from the Onion ?

3 hours ago, Megaro said:

I am unfamiliar with the website that hosted the article.  Was that a serious article, or something closer to items from the Onion ?

I don't actually know what sort of site that it is but it is certainly a tongue-in-cheek article.

• Like 1

On 4/30/2019 at 6:31 AM, joc said:

Definition of Trump Supporting, Climate Change deniers:

Ahem...

1548153148190.jpg

Harte

On 4/29/2019 at 11:57 PM, Vlad the Mighty said:

Perhaps! But I tend to believe that many also become regulars on this forum.

• Haha 1

On 5/1/2019 at 7:32 AM, Megaro said:

If one needs to ask that question, it kind of makes the article true on at least one count. But I know you are in jest. And if there is any seriousness and facts in the article, then blame Evolution.

To anticipate the response from the ones here that believe they are not facts-resistant, there are way too many block-heads like myself than self-proclaimed raving geniuses. And with the spread and increase of fact-resisters, mother nature will soon do away with anyone resisting us.

Are you all sitting comfortably, as Merlin casts his spell? There are no facts in our world of shadows, my dear friends. We are all morons, some more than others, and that is all. We have all been fooled, one way or another. From the first to the last, and from the last to the first. When it comes to morons, position makes no difference. As the best moron among us, is no less a moron than the worst moron. 

Just as a real Shaman would never claim to be one, as I have heard, then anyone claiming, like president Trump, to be very, very smart and having attended the best schools, so fall all those who claim in like manner.

But kudos go to Hunslune for being the original poster, in introducing this very cheap factual article to the forum. Sometimes even facts tend to make us laugh, although we resist them, at all costs. 

What are considered facts in this world are lies in that other. Only God knows the facts.....the absolute facts.

43 minutes ago, Pettytalk said:

If one needs to ask that question, it kind of makes the article true on at least one count. But I know you are in jest. And if there is any seriousness and facts in the article, then blame Evolution.

To anticipate the response from the ones here that believe they are not facts-resistant, there are way too many block-heads like myself than self-proclaimed raving geniuses. And with the spread and increase of fact-resisters, mother nature will soon do away with anyone resisting us.

Are you all sitting comfortably, as Merlin casts his spell? There are no facts in our world of shadows, my dear friends. We are all morons, some more than others, and that is all. We have all been fooled, one way or another. From the first to the last, and from the last to the first. When it comes to morons, position makes no difference. As the best moron among us, is no less a moron than the worst moron. 

Just as a real Shaman would never claim to be one, as I have heard, then anyone claiming, like president Trump, to be very, very smart and having attended the best schools, so fall all those who claim in like manner.

But kudos go to Hunslune for being the original poster, in introducing this very cheap factual article to the forum. Sometimes even facts tend to make us laugh, although we resist them, at all costs. 

What are considered facts in this world are lies in that other. Only God knows the facts.....the absolute facts.

That's an 'apples and oranges' comparison on two counts (and not what I said in the other thread): 

1)  A Cherokee medicine man and a Shaman are two completely different things. While doubtful, should you ever actually meet a Cherokee medicine man he will likely take great offense at being called a Shaman when he's not. It's not even a Native American word nor designation. 

2)  The designation of what to call or not call such a Cherokee can't be compared with people who you say claim to be very, very smart or have attended the best schools. One doesn't have to do either in order to learn. 

cormac

• Like 2

On 4/30/2019 at 7:58 AM, Piney said:

American and British journalism. 

Global...journalism!

• Like 1

4 hours ago, cormac mac airt said:

That's an 'apples and oranges' comparison on two counts (and not what I said in the other thread): 

1)  A Cherokee medicine man and a Shaman are two completely different things. While doubtful, should you ever actually meet a Cherokee medicine man he will likely take great offense at being called a Shaman when he's not. It's not even a Native American word nor designation. 

2)  The designation of what to call or not call such a Cherokee can't be compared with people who you say claim to be very, very smart or have attended the best schools. One doesn't have to do either in order to learn. 

cormac

I like both of those fruits, but figs are my 1st preference. The only thing I know about a shaman is through Carlos Santana. The song on that album that explains it best, for me, is Nothing At All.

Do you understand?

• Haha 1

12 minutes ago, Pettytalk said:

I like both of those fruits, but figs are my 1st preference. The only thing I know about a shaman is through Carlos Santana. The song on that album that explains it best, for me, is Nothing At All.

Do you understand?

So you're just here as a poor attempt at comedy relief? Yeah, I understand. 

cormac