Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Ghosts might be caused by carbon monoxide

Still Waters

We all have our views and opinions on the supernatural. Many people are highly skeptical regarding the existence of ghosts, ghouls, phantoms, and other supernatural entities, while believers will adamantly argue that the paranormal is very real, backing up their claims with countless stories and alleged sightings of the past. There are also plenty of people who find themselves somewhere in the middle, not quite sure what to believe.

A Gallup poll from 2005 revealed that around 37 percent of Americans believed in haunted houses, and many people love to hear stories about these kinds of spooky old homes and eerie abandoned mansions. But it turns out that science might have a very rational explanation for these kinds of tales.

https://www.thevintagenews.com/2019/04/30/haunted-houses-monoxide/

• Like 6
  • Thanks 2

Carbon monoxide might explain like a tiny percentage of ghost sightings I imagine.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I’ve read about this before. That’s why many times we suggest checking the carbon monoxide levels. It can do some crazy stuff to you.

• Like 2

as time passes more and more prosiac explanations will show that things like ghosts exist only in the minds of the believers.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

it seems too limitated like explanetion to me

interesting, and I've heard it might be the cause of some unexplained plane crashes at sea as well. I don't think it can explain every report of a haunting, but I'd be willing to bet it's the culprit of a few reports.

Some reasons for a ghost sighting.

Pareidolia, hypnagogic and hypnopompic hallucinations, sleep paralysis, grief, sleep deprivation, mental illness, strong grief, and even belief. Plus infrasound as well. Even strong electromagnetic field might cause a ghost sighting. 

• Like 3

5 hours ago, Idiotpickle said:

interesting, and I've heard it might be the cause of some unexplained plane crashes at sea as well. I don't think it can explain every report of a haunting, but I'd be willing to bet it's the culprit of a few reports.

thats the issue replace "report" with "story" and thats it, all we have or have ever had concerning hauntings, in a way its odd that with so many stories of haunting we have basically zero evidence that leans to any proof, at this point the true believer jumps up with their 101 excuses that rage from delusions, to ad hominem attacks but in the end its just posturing, proving zero.

i always have to wonder, the louder alleged hauntings involve agendas like attention, book sales movie deals....hum.

Swamp gas, mainly.

1 hour ago, Habitat said:

Swamp gas, mainly.

if there was enough it would be toxic,

and the ironic side, the whole sarcastic joke about swamp gas was started with hynek then when hynek told fowler that he was willing to say whatever the guys told him to say to keep his job, in other words zero credibilty or interigrity, sad, very sad.

On 4/30/2019 at 10:36 PM, Still Waters said:

We all have our views and opinions on the supernatural. Many people are highly skeptical regarding the existence of ghosts, ghouls, phantoms, and other supernatural entities, while believers will adamantly argue that the paranormal is very real, backing up their claims with countless stories and alleged sightings of the past. There are also plenty of people who find themselves somewhere in the middle, not quite sure what to believe.

A Gallup poll from 2005 revealed that around 37 percent of Americans believed in haunted houses, and many people love to hear stories about these kinds of spooky old homes and eerie abandoned mansions. But it turns out that science might have a very rational explanation for these kinds of tales.

https://www.thevintagenews.com/2019/04/30/haunted-houses-monoxide/

I suppose that it could explain some of the experiences that people have. I caused a similar situation to occur once. Myself and some friends were playing poker one night, and I let loose with a nasty silent fart. Within a few moments everyone at the looked like they had seen ghost, I kinda felt bad about it but, you know what they say the devil made me do it.

• 1 month later...
On 6/6/2019 at 11:17 AM, baro67 said:

it seems too limitated like explanetion to me

Well it certainly wouldn't explain sightings in open areas or outside, that's for sure.