Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -
the13bats

The Spectre of Newby Church

the13bats
Posted (edited)

images(54).jpg.21e89ec2daf5b4482b29c88b11f54712.jpg

very famous or infamous alleged ghost picture from newby church, im not much interested if you believe its a picture of a real haunt but im interested in a few other details concerning how this was created,

in trying to find info on it sites will say many "experts" say its not made up by double exposure or "shopped" in, they didnt have shop in 64 when he took it anyway, they claim the rev who took it would never pull a hoax, really?

so look at the bottom steps how did it get that poured flowing over the step look but just on the first step?

i believe that is a clue, not saying more just yet,

Edited by the13bats
  • Like 2

OverSword

A larger image would be helpful.

the13bats
10 minutes ago, OverSword said:

yes, it would...:tu:

moonman
Posted (edited)

Why couldn't it be a long exposure with the "ghost" only standing there for a small part of it? I.E. start exposure, put on lens cap, get "ghost" in place, take off lens cap for a little longer? That's what I always think of when I see this pic.

Edited by moonman

SecretSanta

Could have layered negatives. Take a photo of the church and photo of the “ghost” put them together and print the picture.

Still Waters
2 hours ago, OverSword said:

2 hours ago, the13bats said:

yes, it would...:tu:

Here's one:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wSAqmVYOZ0Y

And some background.

https://burialsandbeyond.com/2019/03/05/the-spectre-of-newby-church/

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Impedancer

Double exposure

the13bats

all the photo tricks suggested would work to create that type image except one thing  that first step, how did they get the translucent dark to flow down it as if poured, i see a clue.

also if the so called light face of the ghost was a little to the left or right we likely would see it....

moonman
Posted (edited)
8 hours ago, the13bats said:

all the photo tricks suggested would work to create that type image except one thing  that first step, how did they get the translucent dark to flow down it as if poured, i see a clue.

also if the so called light face of the ghost was a little to the left or right we likely would see it....

I don't get what you are saying, all I see is someone wearing a robe that hangs over the step, looks completely in line with a double exposure of someone in costume standing there.

Edited by moonman

the13bats
Posted (edited)
25 minutes ago, moonman said:

I don't get what you are saying, all I see is someone wearing a robe that hangs over the step, looks completely in line with a double exposure of someone in costume standing there.

lets call it "robe" look at front of bottom step its in front where it should be but then it should continue straight up from there it doesnt, it folds back onto the bottom steps top, its even angled on it, then it goes up the front of the second step all the way up, that isnt what a double expousure would do...

the alter isnt centered the "ghost" side is a bit wider, odd the kneeling pad is only on the one side but right where the robe starts on the ghost side.

ps,

to be standing there would make them 9ft + - tall

Edited by the13bats

moonman
Posted (edited)

I disagree, a partially transparent black robe is all I see. Someone standing on a step-stool in a long black robe that bunches up and flows at the bottom. A poor quality double exposure of a long black robe like that isn't going to show details very well.

What exactly is the trick you are saying they used?

Edited by moonman

the13bats
Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, moonman said:

I disagree, a partially transparent black robe is all I see. Someone standing on a step-stool in a long black robe that bunches up and flows at the bottom. A poor quality double exposure of a long black robe like that isn't going to show details very well.

What exactly is the trick you are saying they used?

i just dont have the time to go in and mark it well with the photoshop i can use as its on my desktop, the robe is angled on the top of the first step like flowing over it, but goes straight up at the front of the second step thats all im pointing out but a double exposure would not do that unless the ghost is there for that shot to fade out and over lay and the robe did flow over step 1, and i dont see the step stool at all where is it?

i have no clue how they did it

Edited by the13bats

HollyDolly

I've seen bigger photos of this. Look at the bottom of the altar steps. I believe there is a figure, KNEELING  on the steps in front of the altar as if praying and is in front of the standing figure.That's why you get the weird effect of the robe  flowing over the step.They didn't have phot shop then.. Look carefully, the part where the robes are flowing over the steps  as you follow it to the standing figure, appears to actually have shoulders, you just can't see any head. Don't know about the hooded figure, that could have been a set up  with someone wearing a robe and hood over their face, and the photo was taken to bring  money to the church as a  money trap for paranormal enthusiasts.But in the mean time the reverend who took the photo captured a real ghost, the figure kneeling with its robe over flowing the steps.

moonman

It doesn't even have to be someone in a costume, it could be a mop with a robe over it for all we know.

moonman
Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, the13bats said:

i just dont have the time to go in and mark it well with the photoshop i can use as its on my desktop, the robe is angled on the top of the first step like flowing over it, but goes straight up at the front of the second step thats all im pointing out but a double exposure would not do that unless the ghost is there for that shot to fade out and over lay and the robe did flow over step 1, and i dont see the step stool at all where is it?

i have no clue how they did it

The step-stool (or whatever it is) is all covered by the robe, of course you can't see it - that would kinda ruin the whole thing.

I still don't understand what you mean about the flowing, the whole thing is standing on the first step, all the other steps are behind it, untouched. There's nothing odd about how it is arranged, other than the height. Maybe the lack of depth perception and detail due to the transparency is throwing you off.

Edited by moonman

the13bats

stepstool, total speculation, thats fine, its needed in this,

okay, so if i look at it thinking its on the first step, i can see your way of seeing it as having dimension to me from first step up it looks flat, 

i find it odd that theres no kneeling pad on that step, it would be right where its standing and give or take its the width of the pad,

the face is in between two areas it wouldnt show if to one side or the other,

my theory while speculative is this isnt a deliberate hoax but rather an odd camera artifact and Pareidolia