Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Asteroid To Pass Close To Earth 2029

susieice

I didn't see a thread on this anywhere so I made one. If there is, please combine.

In April of 2029 and asteroid named after the Egyptian God of chaos, Apophis, will pass appproximately 19,000 miles from Earth. Scientists are very excited because they will be able to see and study the surface easily. The asteroid will be visible to the naked eye as it passes. It will begin above Australia and continue to the west coast of the USA. Scientists say there is no chance of a collision.

https://www.newsweek.com/god-chaos-apophis-earth-nasa-excited-1409509

• Like 4

That's not far.  London to Sydney is 10,000 miles so its just twice the distance.  Are they sure there is no chance of a collision LOL?

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Black Red Devil said:

Are they sure there is no chance of a collision LOL?

Yes.

• Like 2

There was speculation that depending on it's exactly trajectory in 2029 it could hit Earth when it swings by again in 2036 - but I understand that new calculations have shown that not to be the case.  A shame, I was looking forward to it ......

9 minutes ago, Essan said:

There was speculation that depending on it's exactly trajectory in 2029 it could hit Earth when it swings by again in 2036 - but I understand that new calculations have shown that not to be the case.

That is correct, there will be no impact in 2036.

9 minutes ago, Essan said:

A shame, I was looking forward to it ......

Even joking about the deaths of millions of people is a particular unpleasant thing to do.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Back in 2004 there was thought to be a very slight chance it might hit but now they know it will not. Scientists will be able to clearly study it's surface because it will pass so close. 

Naw Old Mother. It won't even skim us. I'm hoping to watch it pass. :)

• Like 1

It won't hit but it will pass close. Hoping to be here to watch it also.

• Like 2

You can't predict a hit. If you could, we'd all be The Beatles!

it

clicked refresh okay and nobody even here, cool,

posted 

!  posts over me.  ! IT !!!!! 

Laterzzzzzz

!

Edited by MWoo7

19,000 miles. Don't we have satellites around that orbit? That's too close.:huh:

13 hours ago, sci-nerd said:

You can't predict a hit.

Actually you can and it has been done, three times confirmed with a fourth probable: List of successfully predicted asteroid impacts

14 hours ago, sci-nerd said:

You can't predict a hit. If you could, we'd all be The Beatles!

Poor choice of analogy as the Beetles were famously rejected by Decca Records.

13 hours ago, Hawken said:

19,000 miles. Don't we have satellites around that orbit? That's too close.:huh:

We do, but the chance of a satellite being hit by a single asteroid is vanishingly small. It's only too close when it is going to hit us.

• Like 1

On ‎5‎/‎3‎/‎2019 at 6:11 PM, susieice said:

It won't hit but it will pass close. Hoping to be here to watch it also.

sus heard on the morning news the other day Nasa did give a report. They said that asteroid of 2029 could be like the one that passed Russia,  could hit , destroy a state, like a atomic bomb.  Hearing that ! gave me the creeps :)

• Like 1

5 hours ago, docyabut2 said:

sus heard on the morning news the other day Nasa did give a report. They said that asteroid of 2029 could be like the one that passed Russia,  could hit , destroy a state, like a atomic bomb.  Hearing that ! gave me the creeps :)

They've ruled out it getting close enough to do that docy.

• 3 months later...

Related news:

"It's time to talk about Apophis again, I guess. Please calm down first.

"The asteroid is about 1,100 feet (340 meters) wide, was discovered in 2004 and will make a reasonably close flyby of Earth on Friday, April 13, 2029. Apophis will not hit Earth during that flyby; more on that later. Nevertheless, it's large and close and has a snappy name, and the internet loves its asteroids."

Full monty at Space dot com: https://www.space.com/elon-musk-asteroid-apophis-and-planetary-defense.html

Yep... we love asteroids......

"A huge asteroid will eventually hit the humanity and there will be no way out, SpaceX CEO Elon Musk has predicted."

At Times NewsNow (India tabloid): https://www.timesnownews.com/technology-science/article/an-asteroid-will-hit-earth-and-well-have-no-defence-elon-musk/472151

"Huge 'God of Chaos' asteroid to pass near Earth in 2029"

At Fox News: https://www.foxnews.com/science/1110-foot-asteroid-to-pass-near-earth-in-2029