Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Passwords should be ditched says MS Security

Eldorado

"Passwords should be ditched and replaced with biometric logins because they don't sufficiently protect people, according to the top cybersecurity official at Microsoft.

Bret Arsenault told US broadcaster CNBC that 90 per cent of the tech giant's 135,000 employees now logged in without a password, instead using methods like facial and fingerprint recognition."

At This Is Money UK: https://www.thisismoney.co.uk/money/beatthescammers/article-6988365/amp/Eliminate-passwords-altogether-theyll-never-secure-Microsofts-cybersecurity-chief-says.html

Original at CNBC: https://www.cnbc.com/2019/05/01/microsoft-ciso-bret-arsenault-wants-to-eliminate-passwords.html

• Like 1
  • Confused 2

• 4 weeks later...

Remove passwords, yes. Implementing biometrics on such a large scale? No.

It's called good practice, have a policy that informs people to use passphrases & passphrase-hygeine instead of passwords and their information will be more secure and much harder to brute-force. It's also an easily implemented solution in comparison to biometrics.

The issue with biometrics is that it only protects a device from unauthorised physical access. If a hacker sneaks in through a network or via a different logical vector then those expensive biometrics you've implemented become obsolete.

I'm shocked that Microsoft's 'top cybersecurity official' would say something so obtuse. It's incredibly misleading to the general public who aren't as informed about these things. Poor effort, Mr. Arsenault. :angry:

Edited by Unfortunately
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, Unfortunately said:

I'm shocked that Microsoft's 'top cybersecurity official' would say something so obtuse. It's incredibly misleading to the general public who aren't as informed about these things. Poor effort, Mr. Arsenault. :angry:

Seems like perhaps he also is their top salesman as well.

• Like 3

I ready for fingerprints or whatever .

I literally have a notebook of the hundreds of passwords I have to keep track of.

Let me scan my eye for all of them lol

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

stupid move, it is so much easier to fake\crack biometrics and have access to everything than brake dozens of passwords, especially when a smart user changes them often.. i have iphone xr with face recognition, sometimes it fails to recognize me, and i have to enter a password,  same thing sometimes happened with my 6s with fingerprint button. no system is 100% reliable. 

Edited by aztek