Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Should schools impose a dress code on parents?

Still Waters

When a school in Houston, Texas, announced that parents must also follow dress code guidelines, it ignited a larger debate about appropriate attire and standards for parents across the nation.

Principal Carlotta Brown of James Madison High School announced the new dress code guidelines for parents and guests a day after the mother of a prospective student was denied entry to the school because of her attire.

Wearing a T-shirt dress and headscarf, Joselyn Lewis says she was turned away by school administrators when she attempted to enrol her daughter into the school.

When she asked to see the school's dress code rules for parents, administrators called the police.

Ms Lewis explained she was wearing the scarf as she was in the process of getting her hair done - but felt she should not be told what to wear, regardless.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-48127788

• Like 4

• The title was changed to Should schools impose a dress code on parents?

too bad the article does not print the actual wording of dress code, it maybe blown out of proportions, for more clicks

I think it's perfectly reasonable to have a dress code for parents. If they don't know what is appropriate around children then they have to be told .... simples.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Still Waters said:

When a school in Houston, Texas, announced that parents must also follow dress code guidelines, it ignited a larger debate about appropriate attire and standards for parents across the nation.

Principal Carlotta Brown of James Madison High School announced the new dress code guidelines for parents and guests a day after the mother of a prospective student was denied entry to the school because of her attire.

Wearing a T-shirt dress and headscarf, Joselyn Lewis says she was turned away by school administrators when she attempted to enrol her daughter into the school.

When she asked to see the school's dress code rules for parents, administrators called the police.

Ms Lewis explained she was wearing the scarf as she was in the process of getting her hair done - but felt she should not be told what to wear, regardless.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-48127788

My personnel hate is for people covered in tattoos, piercings, and wearing tracksuits. While we are told not to judge by appearances our judgments are normally correct. I can imagine a teacher looking at the parents and thinking to themselves they dont want to have to put up with the behaviour problems of the child if its accepted into their school.

I think teachers should be allowed to accept or deny an applicant based on what the parents are like (including their dress, and how they come across). We want a healthy environment for our youngsters to learn in. We dont want them encountering problems like bullying because a school cannot filter out children from the wrong background.

Edited by RabidMongoose
  • Like 3
  • Confused 1

They should impose a dress code on students.  Some go to school in nothing but a short vest top and pair of nylons.

And the girls are worse!

*yells at passing cloud*

Edited by Eldorado
  • Haha 4

they do, a month does not go by in usa without an article that a kid was sent home cuz of not complying with dress code,  they usually take a pic in an outfit they  were kicked out and take it to fb, insta, tweeter,...

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

What happened to looks can be deceiving? The parent's attire does not represent their child's learning abilities so why take it out on the child? The child is not responsible for what his/her parents wear, yet that child can be refused entry to the school because of it which isn't a fair policy imo, it's the child that loses out and for what? The school didn't like what the parent was wearing so because of that the child is denied an education at that school.

But what about the child? the school knows nothing about him/her who could well turn out to be a first class scholar if given the chance, there's no reason to think that child will be a problem anymore than any other child attending the school.

Parents should use their common sense and wear something appropriate anyway, but even what's classed as appropriate differs and unless the parent turns up wearing nothing but underwear, in which case the school would have something to be concerned about. The school is for the child not the parent, all children should be allowed an education, refusing this based on the parent's appearance is just snobbery.

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

I heard about this on the radio the other day. Here's some more information on this.

USA Today article with links: https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/education/2019/04/23/houston-texas-school-dress-code-parents/3556044002/

Madison High School site: https://www.houstonisd.org/Page/79033

The letter that was given to the parents on the dress code for them: https://docs.google.com/viewerng/viewer?url=https://www.houstonisd.org//cms/lib2/TX01001591/Centricity/Domain/22431/Dress+Code.pdf

And the school uniform dress code for the students is found here: https://www.houstonisd.org/cms/lib2/TX01001591/Centricity/Domain/7903/2018-2019 Uniforms.pdf

• Thanks 2

On ‎2019‎-‎05‎-‎03 at 9:09 AM, RabidMongoose said:

My personnel hate is for people covered in tattoos, piercings, and wearing tracksuits. While we are told not to judge by appearances our judgments are normally correct. I can imagine a teacher looking at the parents and thinking to themselves they dont want to have to put up with the behaviour problems of the child if its accepted into their school.

I think teachers should be allowed to accept or deny an applicant based on what the parents are like (including their dress, and how they come across). We want a healthy environment for our youngsters to learn in. We dont want them encountering problems like bullying because a school cannot filter out children from the wrong background.

tats.jpg

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

they do not ask you to follow their dress code all the time, just when you come to THEIR school.  also in that outfit the "doctor" would  not be allowed into a nice restaurant in NYC,  

• Like 3

2 hours ago, aztek said:

they do not ask you to follow their dress code all the time, just when you come to THEIR school.  also in that outfit the "doctor" would  not be allowed into a nice restaurant in NYC,  

I am not a fan of dress codes. However I do like this one "No shirt, no shoes, no service"  

• Like 1

23 hours ago, thedutchiedutch said:

tats.jpg

Notice that this shows the doctor on his own time and dressed to do business.  That's all that the school is asking of the parents, when you come to school to conduct business, dress for it.  The teachers have certain standards to adhere to, so there is no reason the parents shouldn't have them as well.  It shows mutual respect and lends an air of seriousness to the purpose of the visit.  Most people would know this, so the situation must have been pretty bad for the school to even address the issue.  

• Like 4

I see it at work all the time.  It's like people roll out of bed and come out shopping. Rats nests in hair,  filthy clothes...where is their self respect?  It is just ridiculous seeing what some people think is acceptable to wear out in public.

• Like 1

On ‎03‎/‎05‎/‎2019 at 3:30 PM, Still Waters said:

What happened to looks can be deceiving? The parent's attire does not represent their child's learning abilities so why take it out on the child? The child is not responsible for what his/her parents wear, yet that child can be refused entry to the school because of it which isn't a fair policy imo, it's the child that loses out and for what? The school didn't like what the parent was wearing so because of that the child is denied an education at that school.

But what about the child? the school knows nothing about him/her who could well turn out to be a first class scholar if given the chance, there's no reason to think that child will be a problem anymore than any other child attending the school.

Parents should use their common sense and wear something appropriate anyway, but even what's classed as appropriate differs and unless the parent turns up wearing nothing but underwear, in which case the school would have something to be concerned about. The school is for the child not the parent, all children should be allowed an education, refusing this based on the parent's appearance is just snobbery.

The problem is in 95% of cases people can form a pretty good judge of character by a persons appearance.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, glorybebe said:

I see it at work all the time.  It's like people roll out of bed and come out shopping. Rats nests in hair,  filthy clothes...where is their self respect?  It is just ridiculous seeing what some people think is acceptable to wear out in public.

I agree, but shopping is one thing and a meeting with a teacher is another.  Any meeting with a professional should be entered with a certain decorum and respect for the seriousness of the occasion, whether it's with a doctor, lawyer, judge, teacher or others.  They will usually be dressed appropriately for their position, so the other person should at least upgrade from PJs, T shirts and flip-flops.

On ‎07‎/‎05‎/‎2019 at 3:39 AM, thedutchiedutch said:

tats.jpg

Notice how he has the common sense not to have tattoos on his head.

He conforms to social norms when at work, parents need to show they conform to social norms at school too.

• Like 4

On 5/8/2019 at 7:35 AM, RabidMongoose said:

The problem is in 95% of cases people can form a pretty good judge of character by a persons appearance.

I agree.   Maybe not as high as 95%, but pretty high.    If you were to accept 100 kids by the appearance of the parents, you would have a better school than just accepting a random 100 kids.  

There are always exceptions though.   

• Like 1

This is disappointing. Over a head scarf? Its borderline racist honestly. I try to cover up and be appropriate when i visit school grounds but i see many parents do not and thats thier business, most of us have a lot more going on with our day then the stop at school. Also dew rags and head scarfs are actually more often than not to achieve hair compliance. It used to be the law for black women to cover thier hair now it is a crime. People need to mind thier business because i noticed the judgemental nature of out society is getting pretty overboard. I wish people would stop trying to impose ridiculous restrictions and control on everybody else and worry about themselves.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 1

that is borderline stupid, and quite racist, you are looking for  racism where there isn't any , and that makes you a racist

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Nnicolette said:

This is disappointing. Over a head scarf? Its borderline racist honestly. I try to cover up and be appropriate when i visit school grounds but i see many parents do not and thats thier business, most of us have a lot more going on with our day then the stop at school. Also dew rags and head scarfs are actually more often than not to achieve hair compliance. It used to be the law for black women to cover thier hair now it is a crime. People need to mind thier business because i noticed the judgemental nature of out society is getting pretty overboard. I wish people would stop trying to impose ridiculous restrictions and control on everybody else and worry about themselves.

Did it reference the color of the parent? 

It was most likely due to a short "t-shirt dress" than the dew rag.   We'd really need to see an actual pic to make a great judgment.   However, I doubt this lady was dressed nice.  

• Like 1

On ‎2019‎-‎05‎-‎07 at 10:32 PM, Big Jim said:

Notice that this shows the doctor on his own time and dressed to do business.  That's all that the school is asking of the parents, when you come to school to conduct business, dress for it.  The teachers have certain standards to adhere to, so there is no reason the parents shouldn't have them as well.  It shows mutual respect and lends an air of seriousness to the purpose of the visit.  Most people would know this, so the situation must have been pretty bad for the school to even address the issue.  

Note that my post was addresses to a person that literally "judged a book by its cover". Now about the school demanding a dress code for parents. Just think about what they are really doing. They are imposing rules upon grown up people in regards of their choice of clothing. What is next ? Isn't the freedom of how the dress part of our freedom of expression ? Anyway, please take  a look at the following link to see the actual parent we are talking about and what she was wearing : https://thehollywoodunlocked.com/mother-refused-entry-to-a-high-school-for-wearing-headscarf-t-shirt-dress/ Inappropriate ?  

She's definitely dressed down but unless she wasn't wearing shorts then I don't know. I won't take a side. However, given that she was trying to enroll her kid, meeting people for the first time in a formal way she should've got her ass out of bed earlier and got dressed just out of dignity and respect for the situation. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, RabidMongoose said:

Notice how he has the common sense not to have tattoos on his head.

He conforms to social norms when at work, parents need to show they conform to social norms at school too.

Understood. Now you only hate people that have tattoes on their heads. Right ? 

• Confused 1

2 hours ago, thedutchiedutch said:

Note that my post was addresses to a person that literally "judged a book by its cover". Now about the school demanding a dress code for parents. Just think about what they are really doing. They are imposing rules upon grown up people in regards of their choice of clothing. What is next ? Isn't the freedom of how the dress part of our freedom of expression ? Anyway, please take  a look at the following link to see the actual parent we are talking about and what she was wearing : https://thehollywoodunlocked.com/mother-refused-entry-to-a-high-school-for-wearing-headscarf-t-shirt-dress/ Inappropriate ?  

We judge books by their covers all the time.  It's why some become best sellers and some stay on the shelf.  We also impose rules upon grown people regarding their choice of clothing.  "No shirt, no shoes, no service" for one example, requiring ties at fine restaurants, for another.  So far, no one has made a facebook episode of it.  As for freedom of expression, there have always been limits.  Yelling fire in a crowded theater is the classic example, but it's much more common for the cops to come to your party when it gets too loud.  If you think you're free to express yourself in the way you dress just take a stroll down Main St. with nothing on.  Freedom only works with limits.  Without them only the strongest are free and the rest are prey.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, thedutchiedutch said:

It's tough to judge by just the pic.   When she's walking, does her underwear get exposed.   

Maybe she shouldn't have been sent away, but she was a moron for dressing like that and going to a school.