Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Buzz Aldrin calls for mass migration to Mars

UM-Bot

I think he's right.   It will be difficult at first but I think it is a good project, if for no other reason than to remove the national borders and unite us as humans trying to survive as a race.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, Desertrat56 said:

I think he's right.   It will be difficult at first but I think it is a good project, if for no other reason than to remove the national borders and unite us as humans trying to survive as a race.

Since nobody owns Mars, any major corporation could go there and wreck any havoc they want to, in the name of profit. So before we start, we might need to agree on some ground rules, and distribution of natural resources.

If I may suggest: No corporate agenda whatsoever should be allowed, unless for the common good. And no nation should be permitted to claim any areas.

• Like 9

25 minutes ago, sci-nerd said:

any major corporation could go there and wreck any havoc they want to, in the name of profit.

"Welcome to McMars. Can I take your order?"

• Haha 9

1 minute ago, XenoFish said:

"Welcome to McMars. Can I take your order?"

"I'd like one McFlurry with Mars, please!"

"And what would you like in it?"

"Mars!"

(Long break....)

"One McMars Flurry with Marshmallows coming up! Would you like to order anything else?"

• Haha 5

Just now, sci-nerd said:

"I'd like one McFlurry with Mars, please!"

"And what would you like in it?"

"Mars!"

(Long break....)

"One McMars Flurry with Marshmallows coming up! Would you like to order anything else?"

"I want that mars szechuan mcnugget sauce!!"

hqdefault.jpg

• Like 2
  • Haha 6

51 minutes ago, sci-nerd said:

Since nobody owns Mars, any major corporation could go there and wreck any havoc they want to, in the name of profit. So before we start, we might need to agree on some ground rules, and distribution of natural resources.

If I may suggest: No corporate agenda whatsoever should be allowed, unless for the common good. And no nation should be permitted to claim any areas.

I see your point but governments can change their mind on this type of endeavour and pull funding. I think the only way to have long term colonies on Mars will be to involve private enterprise.    

4 minutes ago, L.A.T.1961 said:

I see your point but governments can change their mind on this type of endeavour and pull funding.

Yeah, like Trump and the Paris agreement. Well, let's wait till he's a goner then :tu:

5 minutes ago, L.A.T.1961 said:

I think the only way to have long term colonies on Mars will be to involve private enterprise.

Yes, under strict ethical rules. We should see Mars as a virgin, and companies as horny teenage boys.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

1 hour ago, L.A.T.1961 said:

I see your point but governments can change their mind on this type of endeavour and pull funding. I think the only way to have long term colonies on Mars will be to involve private enterprise.    

THat's why I think the national borders have to be removed, one world, one government.

2 hours ago, sci-nerd said:

In the end there will only be one reason to go to mars on a permanent basis and it's not survival of the race.  It's because it will contribute to wealth and power.  There is no way the most difficult and expensive undertaking in the history of mankind will attempted without substantial reward attached to the potential risk.   As in the Alien movies, space exploration will also be space exploitation and it will be run by corporations more powerful and wealthy that anything presently known.

Edited by OverSword
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1

21 minutes ago, OverSword said:

In the end there will only be one reason to go to mars on a permanent basis and it's not survival of the race.  It's because it will contribute to wealth and power.  There is no way the most difficult and expensive undertaking in the history of mankind will attempted without substantial reward attached to the potential risk.   As in the Alien movies, space exploration will also be space exploitation and it will be run by corporations more powerful and wealthy that anything presently known.

Yeah, that is probably true, but it's fun to think about alternatives.

• Like 3

"Human nature - and potentially the ultimate survival of our species - demands humanity's continued outward reach into the universe," he wrote.

The survival of our species? Because we made such a mess on Earth, he thinks we should leave it behind and try elsewhere?!! 

How about we try to do right on the planet we evolved on and which is suitable for us. It is certainly not Mars

Going to Mars should only be for research, not for us to live on.

It is obvious only a select few of humans would be able to travel.to Mars, which means biillions would not. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Desertrat56 said:

THat's why I think the national borders have to be removed, one world, one government.

Run by a Council of Women. :)

• Like 4
  • Haha 3

4 minutes ago, Piney said:

Called #MarsToo

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, Piney said:

Yes, and we will send the men who think they should be running Earth - to Mars. 

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, freetoroam said:

Might be nice. At least Mars acts according to the laws of nature!

• Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, freetoroam said:

I recommend a certain orange painted schmuck. :)

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

15 minutes ago, freetoroam said:

Ya think man? I like the idea dude

• Haha 3

Can't believe I have to state here that humans can't survive on Mars at least not for 1000 years after we start terra-forming it. If the politicians spent as much effort on climate as they do on partisan squabbling they would have already deployed some of the carbon mitigation/reducing technology already invented right here on Earth to fix it.  I'm all for the exploration of Mars but, c'mon Buzz.  Also, you'll notice that NASA does the science but it's the super wealthy like Branson and Musk who are leading the way into putting people en masse into space.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, sci-nerd said:

There are already treaties regarding such things

http://www.unoosa.org/oosa/en/ourwork/spacelaw/treaties.html

59 minutes ago, Piney said:

Ya think man? I like the idea dude

You will be staying here. You are too good to be sent to Mars. 

Earth needs you here.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

12 minutes ago, docyabut2 said:

I don't think mars will survive human kind,

Human kind will not survive Mars. 

From what we know of Mars, there is  nothing there for man to destroy.

• Thanks 1