Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Beer bottles & dead bodies litter Everest

Eldorado

"More than three tonnes of trash and at least four dead bodies have been collected from Mount Everest in recent weeks, it has been reported.

During a massive campaign to clean the mountain, which began on April 14 out of Nepal, decomposing bodies have been discovered among the rubbish.

Officials expect they will remove 11 tonnes of garbage by the end of the 45-day campaign period — and perhaps even more bodies, according to The Himalayan Times."

Full report at the UK Daily Mirror: https://www.mirror.co.uk/news/world-news/dead-bodies-beer-bottles-tonnes-14995915

At the Himalayan Times: https://thehimalayantimes.com/business/3000-kg-of-garbage-collected-from-mt-everest-region/

• Sad 4

I hate to read about dead bottles. Empties are something none of us should have to suffer. :cry:

• Haha 4

3 hours ago, Eldorado said:

"More than three tonnes of trash and at least four dead bodies have been collected from Mount Everest in recent weeks, it has been reported.

During a massive campaign to clean the mountain, which began on April 14 out of Nepal, decomposing bodies have been discovered among the rubbish.

Officials expect they will remove 11 tonnes of garbage by the end of the 45-day campaign period — and perhaps even more bodies, according to The Himalayan Times."

Full report at the UK Daily Mirror: https://www.mirror.co.uk/news/world-news/dead-bodies-beer-bottles-tonnes-14995915

At the Himalayan Times: https://thehimalayantimes.com/business/3000-kg-of-garbage-collected-from-mt-everest-region/

This is one of those things that make you go hmmm....

Those climbers knew the risks, and willfully went for it anyway. That they didn't make it is sad for them, but they are not victims!

Edited by sci-nerd
  • Like 3

3 minutes ago, sci-nerd said:

Those climbers knew the risks, and willfully went for it anyway. That they didn't make it is sad for them, but they are not victims!

The climbers' families are the victims.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, acute said:

How? Having one less adrenaline junkie in the family? :D

• Haha 2

12 minutes ago, sci-nerd said:
14 minutes ago, acute said:

How? Having one less adrenaline junkie in the family? :D

They usually Darwin themselves out eventually. :hmm:

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, acute said:

They usually Darwin themselves out eventually. :hmm:

They should put a Darwin Award on the tip of Everest.
It would be the only unachievable award in the world, coz if you reach it, you can't have it, and if you try and die, it's yours!

Edited by sci-nerd
  • Haha 3

They may have made it if they had stayed sober.

How can you climb Everest after a few beers and do they not have enough to carry?

• Haha 2

19 minutes ago, freetoroam said:

They may have made it if they had stayed sober.

How can you climb Everest after a few beers and do they not have enough to carry?

I believe they have a case of SJ dropped at the summit, to give them an incentive.

• Haha 3

2 minutes ago, acute said:

I believe they have a case of SJ dropped at the summit, to give them an incentive.

Ah interesting, so they died on their way back down. Mystery solved. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

My sad face on the OP is for the trash, not the bodies. I had this naïve notion that people so into an outdoor pursuit had some care for Nature. Silly me. Guess they are in the category of trophy hunters as to that.

• Like 3

A lot of them don't take safety precautions and go alone, and when they get into trouble no one can help.  I've heard stories of other climbers having to leave these ill-prepared individuals to die because rescuing them would be too dangerous and would only result in more deaths.

Edited by Rlyeh
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Not A Rockstar said:

My sad face on the OP is for the trash, not the bodies. I had this naïve notion that people so into an outdoor pursuit had some care for Nature. Silly me. Guess they are in the category of trophy hunters as to that.

Quite shocking how they disrespect nature like that. Many will have a sponsor or doing it as a sponsored climb to raise money for some charity (i know a few who have done this )  and yet they do not give two hoots about the mountain or the people of the country. 

• Like 2

It's literally a view to die for.