Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Grubs up: Maggot ice cream anyone?

Still Waters

Raspberry ripple, chocolate chip or maggot?

Fans of the sweet treat could soon find grubs up in their cornet with the fly larvae being touted as a high-protein and sustainable alternative to the traditional dairy-made frozen product.

While interest has been growing in insects as a more eco-friendly food source in the West, a South African food maker has gone a step further and used maggots harvested from flies as a basis for ice cream.

https://news.sky.com/story/maggot-ice-cream-touted-as-eco-friendly-alternative-to-traditional-dairy-made-treat-11711059

• Like 3
  • Haha 2
  • Sad 1

See, that's what I'm talking about, grind up those bugs into something where it isn't obvious anymore that they were bugs and I'm ready to eat them day in and day out.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

6 minutes ago, Orphalesion said:

See, that's what I'm talking about, grind up those bugs into something where it isn't obvious anymore that they were bugs and I'm ready to eat them day in and day out.

I'll send you out to live with some Digger Tribes and you have fun with that. :yes:

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

14 minutes ago, Piney said:

I'll send you out to live with some Digger Tribes and you have fun with that. :yes:

Probably would improve my health.

I had meal worm a couple of times, blended so it was vaguely beef-patty like. That wasn't bad. They're just expensive to order and I don't think I'd be able to grow them myself.

• Like 2

I'll stick to unhealthy dairy.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

36 minutes ago, Orphalesion said:

The way things are going, bugs might be the next meal of the day. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

I don't mind maggots six days a week, but please, just one day with a beef! Even if it's in a burger!

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Orphalesion said:

I had meal worm a couple of times, blended so it was vaguely beef-patty like. That wasn't bad. They're just expensive to order and I don't think I'd be able to grow them myself.

I had to. Didn't want to.

But it was all @Iilaa'mpuul'xem's  idea. :o

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

8 minutes ago, XenoFish said:

The way things are going, bugs might be the next meal of the day. 

Yeah that's why I'm trying to be so optimistic about it, if it happens we won't have another choice anyway. That's why I'm always happy when they find ways to prepare them in a way that doesn't make the finished product look like insect.
Meal worm patties for example, are pretty much veggie burgers (at least the way I made them, not sure whether there's other ways). So yeah, not spectacular (unless you like veggie burgers) but if it would mean a lessening of the current problematic aspects of the meat industry, I'd be alright with switching to it.
I don't mind seeing the worms during cooking, because well...raw meat is kinda grows, worms are kinda grows, so it's just trading one kind of gross for another. 

9 minutes ago, sci-nerd said:

I don't mind maggots six days a week, but please, just one day with a beef! Even if it's in a burger!

They make bean burgers. Just think if it was mixed with insects. Might have the same effect, maybe...

Finely powdered insects mixed with bean paste. Yum, mars food.

Edited by XenoFish
  • Sad 1

1 minute ago, XenoFish said:

They make bean burgers. Just think if it was mixed with insects. Might have the same effect, maybe...

Finely powdered insects mixed with bean paste. Yum, mars food.

NOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, Orphalesion said:

Yeah that's why I'm trying to be so optimistic about it, if it happens we won't have another choice anyway. That's why I'm always happy when they find ways to prepare them in a way that doesn't make the finished product look like insect.
Meal worm patties for example, are pretty much veggie burgers (at least the way I made them, not sure whether there's other ways). So yeah, not spectacular (unless you like veggie burgers) but if it would mean a lessening of the current problematic aspects of the meat industry, I'd be alright with switching to it.
I don't mind seeing the worms during cooking, because well...raw meat is kinda grows, worms are kinda grows, so it's just trading one kind of gross for another. 

There are already bugs in most of the foods we eat, without knowing it.

http://mentalfloss.com/article/29133/what-defects-fda-allows-11-types-food

Anyone hungry now?

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, XenoFish said:

There are already bugs in most of the foods we eat, without knowing it.

http://mentalfloss.com/article/29133/what-defects-fda-allows-11-types-food

Anyone hungry now?

It's really easy to get weevil into your flour/oats/rice if you don't store them properly, but they are so small and harmless that it's not really a problem if you eat them. And well, I've never seriously looked into it, but around here at last it's considered "common knowledge" that you get fruitflies from buying and having fruit around your kitchen, the implication being that they hatch from the fruit you buy. So aren't we all eating fruit fly babies each time we eat a banana? 

Some of those numbers seem pretty low actually, only 4 larvae per 500 grams of berries? I would have thought more, but the "moldy" part IS quite unappetizing.

Edited by Orphalesion

*Pukes*

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Bugs are delicious if one is unafraid to take the culinary challenge. Larva especially so.

No thank you. I get the idea of eating bugs. I'd rather just eat vegetables if that's the only available protein food source.