Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

The last words spoken on the Moon

Eldorado

"Oh, you won’t believe it. It did it again. There goes the fender… Oh shoot!"

Those words of apparent panic were spoken by the last man on the surface of the Moon, Commander Gene Cernan.

To mark the 50th anniversary of the lunar landings, his companion, Harrison Schmitt, explained to ITV News exactly what went on.

Full monty at ITV UK News: https://www.itv.com/news/2019-04-24/on-the-lunar-landings-50th-anniversary-no-one-can-remember-the-words-spoken-by-the-last-man-on-the-moon/

I'd bet the language was juicier than that.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

I saw the 50th anniversary Apollo 11 documentary last night. The amount of details that could go wrong, and the hundreds of people involved to make it happen, just takes your breath away. A truly remarkable accomplishment with the poor technology they had back then.

Did you know that up until minutes before takeoff, they were fixing a broken fuel valve? They managed to make a bypass just in time.

See the ducu people! It's real 69 footage in HD!

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, sci-nerd said:

A truly remarkable accomplishment with the poor technology they had back then.

Allegedly

• Haha 3

14 minutes ago, Imaginarynumber1 said:

Allegedly

I had an uncle who never believed it had happened.  He swore until his dying day that it was filmed in a desert in Cali.  He was completely casual, well-mannered and sane about everything else in science but he just couldn't grasp that men could actually accomplish landing on the moon.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, and then said:

I had an uncle who never believed it had happened.  He swore until his dying day that it was filmed in a desert in Cali.  He was completely casual, well-mannered and sane about everything else in science but he just couldn't grasp that men could actually accomplish landing on the moon.

Obviously it wasn't filmed in a desert. It was film in a studio by Stanley Kubrick and he later encoded this truth into The Shining.

Obviously

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

1 minute ago, Imaginarynumber1 said:

Obviously it wasn't filmed in a desert. It was film in a studio by Stanley Kubrick and he later encoded this truth into The Shining.

Obviously

He was a gas station owner and rarely went to movies so I can forgive him his biases :)  I just thought it was odd behavior for someone who worked his whole life with mechanical devices and saw how much they had progressed.  

• Like 2

1 minute ago, and then said:

He was a gas station owner and rarely went to movies so I can forgive him his biases :)  I just thought it was odd behavior for someone who worked his whole life with mechanical devices and saw how much they had progressed.  

Ignorance knows no bounds

• Like 1