Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

How to x-ray a wriggly baby

Eldorado

They do look adorable, if a little smushed. It's hard to keep a small child still for any length of time and it's worse to sedate so tests can be done. It helps to make an infant's chest more erect so the x-ray can be taken correctly. Same for a toddler. And a series of x-rays don't take a long time to do.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, susieice said:

And a series of x-rays don't take a long time to do.

You can believe THAT'S true :w00t:  This device came on the scene the same year I did :)  1960.  While studying radiography of the skeletal structures in depth, we also had to learn how to deal with patients who weren't having their *best* day ;)  That was ANY day when the patient was an infant.  The pictures they use to sell these valuable devices are almost always straight up lies.  A tech usually has to get the parent calmed down before you can even get the child into the restraint, then after they hold the child's arms over his/her head and you close and latch the plastic casing, they REALLY begin to scream.  It got to a point where it traumatized the average mom so much that we only asked them into the room to help if we were completely alone on the shift.  It was almost impossible to explain to the moms that their babies were not being harmed or tortured because sick infants and toddlers need no further excuse to go red-faced, gasping for air upset and when they are immobilized they act like Democrats who've had the Mueller report withheld.  :w00t:  Picture the reddest face you've ever seen and wailing that hurts the ears and you've pretty much got the gist.  

The cool thing about the device is that an experienced tech can shoot the PA and Lateral in a matter of seconds and use the screaming to make sure the lungs are properly inflated and there is no extraneous motion that would blur the images.  I've had parents, including dad's, square off on me and tell me to let the child OUT or else.  Yes, indeed, radiographer was an ART as well as a science :) 

• Like 2

I've only watched dead babies be x ray. Not very mobile.

• Sad 2

10 minutes ago, Imaginarynumber1 said:

I've only watched dead babies be x ray. Not very mobile.

We occasionally made trips to the morgue with our portable machines but I'm thankful I never had to see a dead infant.  

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, and then said:

We occasionally made trips to the morgue with our portable machines but I'm thankful I never had to see a dead infant.  

I had to take them to Children's Hospital all the time for skeletal surveys. Not gonna lie, I got paid triple for those calls and would get to sit and do nothing for an hour or two so it wasn't bad at all./

3 hours ago, Imaginarynumber1 said:

I had to take them to Children's Hospital all the time for skeletal surveys. Not gonna lie, I got paid triple for those calls and would get to sit and do nothing for an hour or two so it wasn't bad at all./

You're a stronger man than me.  I couldn't get used to seeing dead children, especially when there was suspicion they'd been battered.  It was bad enough when I was scanning MRI and had to inject contrast into cancer kids under 10.  Adults would be afraid and couldn't hold still for a stick even with a 25 gauge butterfly but those little kids had been through so much for so long that they never cried or jumped at all. :(  

• Sad 1