Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Your opinion literally does not matter

OverSword

8 hours ago, quiXilver said:

Campaign finance reform.  Term limits.  Normal congressional districting based on geographical locations and population, not gerrymandered distrticting.  Popular votes elect officials in all offices.  No lifetime healthcare separate from the rest of nation.  End of professional lobbyists.

Would support and endorse all but the popular vote thing. The entire Democratic platform is to pander to enough protected classes with handouts and feigned support that the sum of them represent a voting bloc that ensures their place in DC on a permanent basis.

I'm a data goof and I'm studying trends from past Presidential elections (back to 1972) and demographics from 2016. When one drills down on that information, it is easy to see why the left does what it does and how effective it's been. They're already cutting through butter with a hot knife, eliminating the EC and replacing with popular vote would allow them to use a chainsaw.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Jerry Gallo said:

They're already cutting through butter with a hot knife, eliminating the EC and replacing with popular vote would allow them to use a chainsaw.

Hopefully that won’t happen as I think most states would recognize that going to a popular vote would exclude their state for the need of their people to vote.  In the history of Presidential elections, there have only been about 4 times that the winner didn’t win with the popular vote.  To make such a change would be for light and transient causes.

• Like 2

34 minutes ago, RavenHawk said:

Hopefully that won’t happen as I think most states would recognize that going to a popular vote would exclude their state for the need of their people to vote.  In the history of Presidential elections, there have only been about 4 times that the winner didn’t win with the popular vote.  To make such a change would be for light and transient causes.

Agree! If anything, I'd probably consider a plan that reallocates EC votes based on number of people in the state that is a better reflection of the current population. I figured some states with a minimum of two rather than three and the most being California at 134. Total EC would be 1104.

The issue is the current ratio of EC votes to state pop is 195,167/1 at the low end (Wyoming) and 733,226/1 on the high end (Texas). The new spread would be 247,198/1 (Alaska) and 340,585 (D.C.). A much more fair representation of the will of the people in each state, IMO. 

I was going to drill down to a partitioning of the EC votes within each state based on popular vote % (i.e. - 1/3 of California votes went for Trump, so 42 EC to Trump and 92 EC to Clinton) just to see how that would match the results of the last few elections, but then Spring happened. I'll get there eventually! LOL  

9 hours ago, Jerry Gallo said:

Would support and endorse all but the popular vote thing. The entire Democratic platform is to pander to enough protected classes with handouts and feigned support that the sum of them represent a voting bloc that ensures their place in DC on a permanent basis.

I'm a data goof and I'm studying trends from past Presidential elections (back to 1972) and demographics from 2016. When one drills down on that information, it is easy to see why the left does what it does and how effective it's been. They're already cutting through butter with a hot knife, eliminating the EC and replacing with popular vote would allow them to use a chainsaw.

yea, who really cares how many people voted for an individual for an elected post, it's just... their opinion man.

I'm not against the EC, it is useful as a method of manipulation and a safety net to suppress the influence of those deemed undereducated and not worth being represented, or downright dangerous (to the elite).  I'm fine with it in the current system, it utterly fits the paradigm, just don't offer it up as an indication of the presence of democracy or representative democracy.  It's manipulation by the oligarch.

Voting is a dance.  Does it matter who votes, or how many vote?

What matters is who counts the votes and reports them.

• Like 1

It should come as no surprise that our opinion does not matter.  That's why it's referred to as our two cents' worth.

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

Opinions... thoughts...  nothing inherently real about them.

Just because you thought something, doesn't make it real, true, relevant or important.

They're just thoughts, you probably have 90k a day.  Don't believe everything you think.

Just because you thought something and then felt strongly about it, doesn't change anything. 

Emotion does not provide validity or veracity.  They're just emotions. 

Expanding on that, just because you perceived something and felt strongly about it, doesn't mean it's real, true or important, or that you perceived something accurately.

They're just perceptions.  Your perceptual aparatus takes in partial information of the world about you and then your socially conditioned mind interprets this based on unconscious models of normalcy structuralized by the age of 7 in your conditioned behavioral patterns.

• Confused 1

6 hours ago, quiXilver said:

Opinions... thoughts...  nothing inherently real about them.

Just because you thought something, doesn't make it real, true, relevant or important.

They're just thoughts, you probably have 90k a day.  Don't believe everything you think.

Just because you thought something and then felt strongly about it, doesn't change anything. 

Emotion does not provide validity or veracity.  They're just emotions. 

Expanding on that, just because you perceived something and felt strongly about it, doesn't mean it's real, true or important, or that you perceived something accurately.

They're just perceptions.  Your perceptual aparatus takes in partial information of the world about you and then your socially conditioned mind interprets this based on unconscious models of normalcy structuralized by the age of 7 in your conditioned behavioral patterns.

Technically, all true.  But our thoughts and emotions are like the wind.  We can't see it, only feel it.  We can direct it but not control it.  It starts and stops on its own.  But it moves us, comforts us and can cause great destruction.  Feeling strongly about our ideas is what propels progress.  Literally everything in our world, every family, law, tool or song, started as an idea.  Our thoughts are what define us.  They set the course of our lives.  The term "brain dead" describes a person without thoughts whose body still functions. As such, our thoughts are life itself.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1