Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Crossing the Atlantic in a Barrel

OverSword

A French man who has spent more than four months floating across the Atlantic Ocean in a giant orange barrel has arrived at his Caribbean destination.

Jean-Jacques Savin set off from the Canary Islands, off the coast of Africa, on December 26, 2018 -- heading west in a barrel-shaped capsule he'd built himself.

Savin, 71 at the time of his departure, spent the first four months of 2019 inside his barrel, traveling at about two miles an hour with no engine, and relying entirely on the ocean current to guide his journey.

Link

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

Just, wow...  I guess he wasn't the seasick type :P

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

It's a pretty big barrel

looks like it can certainly cope with the rough waters.

The barrel had every chance of making it, at 71 when he set off, he was the one at risk.

Well done to him.

• Like 5

I wouldn't mind doing that just so I wouldn't have to talk to anyone for a while.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

3 minutes ago, OverSword said:

I wouldn't mind doing that just so I wouldn't have to talk to anyone for a while.

4 months with no human contact, internet or phone is do-a-ble. 

• Like 2

Pretty cool, but not really a barrel as we think of them.  

I imagine you have to be immune to any seasickness because you'd be sloshing around like crazy almost all the time.   Most of your time would be passed reading and that would be tough to do.   

• Thanks 1

He was updating his fan sites and GPS coordinates daily so he must have been connected to the internet through satellites.  Not a lot of time online because he is on batteries and solar I am guessing.