Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -
UM-Bot

Florida invaded by huge swarms of lovebugs

freetoroam

Fortunately though, these pesky insects tend to live for only 3-4 days on average

https://www.unexplained-mysteries.com/news/327548/florida-invaded-by-huge-swarms-of-lovebugs

Not very fortunate for them. Some do not even live that long if they are being squatted by the humans. :unsure:

Shame they do not find somewhere human free. 

• Sad 2

esoteric_toad

Trust me, there are no shortage of them and I cannot forsee them ever running out of space. What is unfortunate is they are drawn to highways and cars in general. Every year, twice a year many times, they return. Personally I try and avoid squishing them, they stink, but it is impossible when you are driving along. They'll hang around for a week or two and then disappear to return later in the year..so on and so on. Native Floridian for over 50 years.

• Like 2

Impedancer

Those are nasty bugs. :-(

• Like 1

Matt221
6 hours ago, freetoroam said:

Not very fortunate for them. Some do not even live that long if they are being squatted by the humans. :unsure:

Shame they do not find somewhere human free. 

or smacked in mid flight with one of them battery powered tennis racket that frys them

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

freetoroam
14 minutes ago, Matt221 said:

or smacked in mid flight with one of them battery powered tennis racket that frys them

Lol, you beast. 

• Like 1

LucidElement

Im in florida so you can imagine how excited i am haha.

LucidElement
On 5/8/2019 at 8:05 AM, esoteric_toad said:

Trust me, there are no shortage of them and I cannot forsee them ever running out of space. What is unfortunate is they are drawn to highways and cars in general. Every year, twice a year many times, they return. Personally I try and avoid squishing them, they stink, but it is impossible when you are driving along. They'll hang around for a week or two and then disappear to return later in the year..so on and so on. Native Floridian for over 50 years.

im down south . havent seen to many in the area actually but then i havent driven on a highway long distance yet this month thankfully =)

Myles

i wonder what all kills them.    Fly traps?   Wasp traps?   Bowls of apple vinegar?  

pallidin

I recall those type bugs when I lived in Florida.

Not sure that I recall any specific issue with them (during my time), other than annoyance.

Sir Smoke aLot

It was always sad, that short lifetime. Maybe it's lasting longer from their perspective, i like to think that.

On 5/8/2019 at 8:31 PM, Matt221 said:

Remember when my cousin brought few of those from his club, were broken. I just told him it can't be fixed. If i fixed them it would mean like billion mosquito blood on my hands lol

Wolffheart

Hans, get the flamenwerfer!

Hal White

Being someone who has lived in Florida for over 40 years I can say these things SUCK.. Its a running joke that they can only fertilize the egges using 

the impact to car windows. And I do not remember them being this bad years back. Any validity to the rumor that FSU was the cause of this

Plague ?