Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Sacked by the BBC for poking fun at Royals

Eldorado

"Danny Baker has been sacked by the BBC after tweeting a joke about the duke and duchess of Sussex's son using a picture of a monkey.

"The radio DJ posted a black and white photo showing a well-dressed man and woman holding hands with a suited chimpanzee.

Edited by Eldorado
  • Like 4

Danny Baker always was a fool but now he's a middle-aged fool it's just embarrassing. :hmm:

• Haha 2

Pretty stupid thing to do.  He criticized Roseanne for her tweet last year and then does it himself.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

How is a photo of two people with a chimp "racist"?

• Haha 2

2 minutes ago, Eldorado said:

How would you feel if you were an ape and someone posting a picture implying that your parents were dirty little humans?  :P 

• Haha 6
  • Confused 1

41 minutes ago, ouija ouija said:

Danny Baker always was a fool but now he's a middle-aged fool it's just embarrassing. :hmm:

A middle aged fool without a job. 

Maybe someone in the music industry will take him on, in China.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

21 minutes ago, Eldorado said:

I doubt whether anyone here is going to spell it out for you, El.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 1

7 minutes ago, ouija ouija said:

I doubt whether anyone here is going to spell it out for you, El.

I had to google.  Thanks.   I didn't know her mother was black; I thought Meghan was US Latino.  (Not much of a royal watcher)

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Hmmm....... 

Reading an interview with him, it sounds like he sacked himself. He was called in for a discussion, and blew up, swearing at his interculaters. 

• Thanks 1

44 minutes ago, Eldorado said:

I had to google.  Thanks.   I didn't know her mother was black; I thought Meghan was US Latino.  (Not much of a royal watcher)

Blooming heck Sir Eldo, have you been hibernating up there? :lol:

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Eldorado said:

I must agree with Essan's assessment ....because it casts the Chimp race in an unflattering light.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Eldorado said:

I wasn't aware of that fact or any other information about the young woman until they married.  She seems to have come from a rather interesting home environment.  Interracial marriage was absolutely taboo when I was a child in the 60s.  If a couple fell in love and wanted to be together, they knew they had to live elsewhere. Today in the south it is literally more common to see mixed couples than both white or both black.  I also am not much of a royal watcher but I have to give the Queen her due.  She is in her 90s and having a mixed race great-grandchild is probably the last thing she would have imagined.  She seems to have handled the whole situation with grace and aplomb.  

ETA - I've lived during the times of desegregation and I've seen REAL racists at work.  It's an ugly, soul-destroying hate.  I don't know if this guy is truly racist but where I come from he would be considered damned rude and people would avoid his company.

Edited by and then
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Eldorado said:

It takes a racist mind to interpret it as a racist picture lol.

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

Turns out even he has freedom of speech.

But not freedom from the repercussions resulting from what was said.

• Like 2

58 minutes ago, and then said:

but I have to give the Queen her due.  She is in her 90s and having a mixed race great-grandchild is probably the last thing she would have imagined. 

Queen Charlotte for whom Charlotte NC is named was part black and I think one other English queen also.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, RabidMongoose said:

It takes a racist mind to interpret it as a racist picture lol.

As my husband said when he first saw it (its gone now ), it looked more like Harry. But Baker did a very silly thing especially for someone in a position which he must of known he would get  backlash. 

As it is, the baby is a product of both parents, but the meaning of the chimp was pretty clear, you do not have to be a racist to see what it was.

It was a very bad judgement in humour,  which was going out to the world by a man in a high profile position at the BBC. As well as very disrespectful towards Meghan Windsor.

• Like 2

41 minutes ago, OverSword said:

Queen Charlotte for whom Charlotte NC is named was part black and I think one other English queen also.

Mixture in races is not new, but why does someone who has genes from say African decent, get classed as black? 

Meghan is not black, she has mixed genes, like her son too has now mixed genes.

I know you have said part black, why part black as opposed to part white?

Why not just mixed, like many of us are if we go back far enough. 

Edited by freetoroam
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Let's face it the only reason 'some' people make light of it is because they're royals, if this had been a ordinary missed race couple 'RACIST' would be screamed from the roof tops.

4 hours ago, freetoroam said:

As my husband said when he first saw it (its gone now ), it looked more like Harry. But Baker did a very silly thing especially for someone in a position which he must of known he would get  backlash. 

As it is, the baby is a product of both parents, but the meaning of the chimp was pretty clear, you do not have to be a racist to see what it was.

It was a very bad judgement in humour,  which was going out to the world by a man in a high profile position at the BBC. As well as very disrespectful towards Meghan Windsor.

To be honest, I wish I was a fly on the wall in Buckingham Palace right now.

Prince Philip must have put his foot in it by now lol.

• Haha 2

Sometimes a simple joke can backfire.  Remember when Prince Harry did it.

f6a979d933f54cdb97d45fe6f82682a8.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

Some news on the silly one...

"A Danny Baker-hosted show is to air on the BBC later tonight, marking the former 5 Live DJ’s first appearance on the BBC since he was fired by the corporation earlier this month."

Full monty at the Metro: https://metro.co.uk/2019/05/24/danny-baker-tv-show-to-air-tonight-in-first-bbc-appearance-since-shamefully-racist-royal-baby-tweet-9680682/?

At OK magazine: https://www.ok.co.uk/celebrity-news/danny-baker-fired-archie-racist-16193756

Testing the water for his reinstatement?