Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -
GoldenWolf

A particle went backward in time

GoldenWolf

For a Split Second, a (Simulated) Particle Went Backward in Time

In what amounts to a technological triumph for the aspiring Benjamin Buttons of the virtual world, a team of quantum physicists reported earlier this year that they had succeeded in creating a computer algorithm that acts like the Fountain of Youth.

Using an IBM quantum computer, they managed to undo the aging of a single, simulated elementary particle by one millionth of a second. But it was a Pyrrhic victory at best, requiring manipulations so unlikely to occur naturally that it only reinforced the notion that we are helplessly trapped in the flow of time.

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/05/08/science/quantum-physics-time.html?fbclid=IwAR0qWz1Exz6whEXeufxDZ-mSuvDuoW0IRcBlNiQm2SGoRSRX177Ck2b_pic

RabidMongoose
1 hour ago, GoldenWolf said:

For a Split Second, a (Simulated) Particle Went Backward in Time

In what amounts to a technological triumph for the aspiring Benjamin Buttons of the virtual world, a team of quantum physicists reported earlier this year that they had succeeded in creating a computer algorithm that acts like the Fountain of Youth.

Using an IBM quantum computer, they managed to undo the aging of a single, simulated elementary particle by one millionth of a second. But it was a Pyrrhic victory at best, requiring manipulations so unlikely to occur naturally that it only reinforced the notion that we are helplessly trapped in the flow of time.

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/05/08/science/quantum-physics-time.html?fbclid=IwAR0qWz1Exz6whEXeufxDZ-mSuvDuoW0IRcBlNiQm2SGoRSRX177Ck2b_pic

The step up from quantum mechanics to a quantum theory of mind hasn't occurred yet.

But as memory holds information about the past, erasing a memory might well undo the past. If we all go super Zen we might well have complete control over history.

Timothy
4 hours ago, RabidMongoose said:

The step up from quantum mechanics to a quantum theory of mind hasn't occurred yet.

But as memory holds information about the past, erasing a memory might well undo the past. If we all go super Zen we might well have complete control over history.

Erasing a memory does not undo the past. It just alters your perception of it.

• Like 1

Wes83
4 hours ago, RabidMongoose said:

You know, this right here brings to mind something I was stuck on when I was stuck in Christianity.

recall the line-faith of a mustard seed?  Moving mountains and such. So with all the faith I could muster I told this leaf to move, and it didn’t. I was young, my faith was pure, it didn’t move. 

So then I thought maybe I have to really “prove” my faith. Somehow I figured if I were to jump off a roof with the full expectation and faith I could fly, that would prove the purity of my faith and off I would go. Thankfully I had a little more sense.

but I kept pondering the thought of faith. This is what I come up with. Faith in the absurd is absurd. Believing you can forget something and it have any effect on reality is quite frankly absurd. It may have profound effects on the psyche but our collective reality would still include the act you have forgotten.

which leads me to another observation. Those who cling to absurd faiths are bordering on delusional. If not walking all over it and are in danger of jumping off buildings.

• Like 2

Habitat
1 hour ago, Wes83 said:

Faith in the absurd is absurd.

How do you decide what is absurd ?

Wes83
2 minutes ago, Habitat said:

How do you decide what is absurd ?

Devils in the details huh? 

I don’t like to say anything is impossible, but there are plenty of things that are improbable. I would say developing ideas contrary to what is easily observed and verified by oneself and generally accepted as part of our collective reality.

for instance, I’ve never seen anyone else fly by their own will. People generally agree we can’t fly without tools to help us. However, one could develop the belief they could fly with only the body they have control of-that would be an absurd belief.

on another level, if one were uncertain and had not performed real world experiments to determine the shape of the earth-belief that it were flat would be just as absurd as belief it were round, although the general consensus is that our world is round-this position lacks self verification.

quite frankly I find the concept of faith itself absurd.

RabidMongoose
Posted (edited)
10 hours ago, Wes83 said:

You know, this right here brings to mind something I was stuck on when I was stuck in Christianity.

recall the line-faith of a mustard seed?  Moving mountains and such. So with all the faith I could muster I told this leaf to move, and it didn’t. I was young, my faith was pure, it didn’t move. 

So then I thought maybe I have to really “prove” my faith. Somehow I figured if I were to jump off a roof with the full expectation and faith I could fly, that would prove the purity of my faith and off I would go. Thankfully I had a little more sense.

but I kept pondering the thought of faith. This is what I come up with. Faith in the absurd is absurd. Believing you can forget something and it have any effect on reality is quite frankly absurd. It may have profound effects on the psyche but our collective reality would still include the act you have forgotten.

which leads me to another observation. Those who cling to absurd faiths are bordering on delusional. If not walking all over it and are in danger of jumping off buildings.

Lets say that every society has its own priesthood where metaphysics, physics, and philosophy, are explored to figure out the meaning of it all and how it all works.

Unfortunately their findings are not made available to the masses. While it is present inside the Bible it is hidden behind the Biblical language style, symbolism, story telling, and allegory. Therefore, unless you make it to the senior ranks of the Church or study mysticism you are unable to see the meaning behind what is written. This is why you wonder around thinking that if you have faith in God you can move mountains. Christianity is not a faith based religion, you do not gain magical powers by holding true to your faith, its the people who haven't had the real meaning in the Bible unveiled to them which think this. To sum it up in a few words, the Bible is about relationships - your relationship with God, and other peoples relationship with God, and your relationship with other people.

Your relationship with God - You exist in a state of separation from God and are so separate you have no evidence it even exists. In philosophical terms the universe arose when non-duality separated out into various dualities with your separation from God being one of the early dualities. In physics terms, it is the same as the multiverse splitting into two producing a material universe (the one you see) which is now separate from what remains of the rest (the realm of potential where the laws of chaos and uncertainty principle apply). Everything that comes into your life comes from God. In physics this means everything arises out of the potential, crosses the boundary between the potential and the universe you have awareness of at any given point in time, and then is a part of the universe you are experiencing. The Bible is about closing the duality between you and God so you are one. It is about patching everything back up into non-duality. It is about gluing back together the material universe you are experiencing at any given moment in time with the rest of the multiverse which was separated off, to make them one again. Its about taking what you are aware of and bonding it with what you are unaware of (the chaotic realm of potential where the uncertainty principle applies) so they are one. These are all different ways of saying the same thing - turning two into one. Turning dualities back into non-duality.

Ego & Identity - These two things are the cause of most of the dualities which exist. You experience yourself as a person separate from others and experience all the psychological needs that come along with that. The identity you build as a separate person arises by comparing yourself with others and other things. It is about establishing what you are in reference to what else exists. Most dualities can only be glued back into non-duality by ego and identity death which is what the goal of most religions is.

Lets start with a strange exercise - Are you fat, average weight, or thin? Remove all concepts from your mind of what fat, average weight, and thin are. Dont allow yourself to even think that way about yourself or other people. Those dualities have now been glued back into non-duality. Next make a list of 100 different qualities or properties or traits or characteristics that you have. Choose some which cause you grief. Perform the same exercise where you no longer allow yourself to even think that way about yourself or other people. You have now closed all those dualities too. I said choose some that cause you grief because when you have completed this section you will notice something odd going on with the experiences that come into your life.

Next go down your ego & identity identifying all remaining dualities you have associated with them and eradicate them using the same method above. That is ego & identity death. It is hard to achieve as you will need to learn to master your emotions. Emotions, particularly our raw negative ones, suck us back into having ego & identity dualities.

To complete the reunification of all dualities into non-duality I will use the Sufism approach as its the easiest to understand. You have already gotten rid of your ego & identity. The final step is in the cessation of all thoughts and awareness. That unifies all remaining dualities back into duality. It completes the process of gluing you back to God. Obviously only deeply religious people go this far because the rest want to live in their lives (despite their suffering). To go all the way to this a person has to want it.

Magical Processes - I am actually going to say its real. You can have influence over things and events in your life by playing around with what ego & identity dualities you remove, when you remove them, and when you allow them to exist again.

The past - Removing memories from your mind is the process of gluing back dualities into non-duality too. In religion we are taught to forget, forgive, and move on. I would argue by being trapped in the past we keep the dualities it causes in existence through our memory. So to default the past back to multiverse, or potential, then all that needs to happen is the removal of memories from our minds.

Edited by RabidMongoose

quiXilver

ah... I see the cult of atomism is still thriving

friggin einstein.

Wes83
3 hours ago, RabidMongoose said:

Lets say that every society has its own priesthood where metaphysics, physics, and philosophy, are explored to figure out the meaning of it all and how it all works.

Unfortunately their findings are not made available to the masses. While it is present inside the Bible it is hidden behind the Biblical language style, symbolism, story telling, and allegory. Therefore, unless you make it to the senior ranks of the Church or study mysticism you are unable to see the meaning behind what is written. This is why you wonder around thinking that if you have faith in God you can move mountains. Christianity is not a faith based religion, you do not gain magical powers by holding true to your faith, its the people who haven't had the real meaning in the Bible unveiled to them which think this. To sum it up in a few words, the Bible is about relationships - your relationship with God, and other peoples relationship with God, and your relationship with other people.

Your relationship with God - You exist in a state of separation from God and are so separate you have no evidence it even exists. In philosophical terms the universe arose when non-duality separated out into various dualities with your separation from God being one of the early dualities. In physics terms, it is the same as the multiverse splitting into two producing a material universe (the one you see) which is now separate from what remains of the rest (the realm of potential where the laws of chaos and uncertainty principle apply). Everything that comes into your life comes from God. In physics this means everything arises out of the potential, crosses the boundary between the potential and the universe you have awareness of at any given point in time, and then is a part of the universe you are experiencing. The Bible is about closing the duality between you and God so you are one. It is about patching everything back up into non-duality. It is about gluing back together the material universe you are experiencing at any given moment in time with the rest of the multiverse which was separated off, to make them one again. Its about taking what you are aware of and bonding it with what you are unaware of (the chaotic realm of potential where the uncertainty principle applies) so they are one. These are all different ways of saying the same thing - turning two into one. Turning dualities back into non-duality.

Ego & Identity - These two things are the cause of most of the dualities which exist. You experience yourself as a person separate from others and experience all the psychological needs that come along with that. The identity you build as a separate person arises by comparing yourself with others and other things. It is about establishing what you are in reference to what else exists. Most dualities can only be glued back into non-duality by ego and identity death which is what the goal of most religions is.

Lets start with a strange exercise - Are you fat, average weight, or thin? Remove all concepts from your mind of what fat, average weight, and thin are. Dont allow yourself to even think that way about yourself or other people. Those dualities have now been glued back into non-duality. Next make a list of 100 different qualities or properties or traits or characteristics that you have. Choose some which cause you grief. Perform the same exercise where you no longer allow yourself to even think that way about yourself or other people. You have now closed all those dualities too. I said choose some that cause you grief because when you have completed this section you will notice something odd going on with the experiences that come into your life.

Next go down your ego & identity identifying all remaining dualities you have associated with them and eradicate them using the same method above. That is ego & identity death. It is hard to achieve as you will need to learn to master your emotions. Emotions, particularly our raw negative ones, suck us back into having ego & identity dualities.

To complete the reunification of all dualities into non-duality I will use the Sufism approach as its the easiest to understand. You have already gotten rid of your ego & identity. The final step is in the cessation of all thoughts and awareness. That unifies all remaining dualities back into duality. It completes the process of gluing you back to God. Obviously only deeply religious people go this far because the rest want to live in their lives (despite their suffering). To go all the way to this a person has to want it.

Magical Processes - I am actually going to say its real. You can have influence over things and events in your life by playing around with what ego & identity dualities you remove, when you remove them, and when you allow them to exist again.

The past - Removing memories from your mind is the process of gluing back dualities into non-duality too. In religion we are taught to forget, forgive, and move on. I would argue by being trapped in the past we keep the dualities it causes in existence through our memory. So to default the past back to multiverse, or potential, then all that needs to happen is the removal of memories from our minds.

Lot of good stuff in here, lost me at the last paragraph.

so let’s say yesterday a thief stole something, was videotaped and a search has been on for him.

today he joined a monastery and immediately grasped this idea and removed the memory from his mind.

are his wanted posters still up in town?

• Like 1

RabidMongoose
Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, Wes83 said:

Lot of good stuff in here, lost me at the last paragraph.

so let’s say yesterday a thief stole something, was videotaped and a search has been on for him.

today he joined a monastery and immediately grasped this idea and removed the memory from his mind.

are his wanted posters still up in town?

Going with physics there is the Quantum Eraser experiment - 

Basically, the past of an object only maintains its existence while the observer is gaining information on the object in the present that requires that specific past to have occurred. Quantum Mechanics gets messy because it says reality is relative to the observer. So if all information held by the thief about his criminal past is lost then his account of the past dissolves away.

However, if I know he is a criminal then reality for me diverges away from his reality. The reason for this being he has erased away his information (dissolving away the past relative to him) but I retain the information (so in my version of reality he is still a criminal). That aspect of reality is now different in my experience to his without there being a contradiction because reality is relative.

In English, there are things we know with certainty (the part of the universe we have awareness off) and things that behave as probabilities (the separated off parts of the universe we have no awareness off). We determine what we know with certainty and what behaves as a probability. This is done by directing where we project our conscious awareness to gain information and then what information is retained in our memories.

So by erasing a memory we are moving an area of our past from certainty to probability. Only things with certainty exist. Everything moved to the part of the universe we have no awareness of dissolves back into the potential. The question is can a human being actually erase a memory?

In Buddhism we are taught non-attachment to reality and to let go of our past experiences. I can well imagine someone who has gone super Zen being able to do it but this is really advanced levels of Buddhism. 

My answer is that if I have no information on the thief`s crime then that aspect of reality reverts to behaving as a probability as to whether he has committed an offence or not. When I seek information to determine if he is a criminal then a reality comes into being from the potential based on the odds of him being a criminal or being innocent.

The chances of me seeing his wanted poster or not are based on that probability. Before I seek information on whether or not he is a criminal then there is the possibility for him being a criminal and for him being innocent. Both possibilities exist in the potential, only when I shift that area of reality into my field of certainty does a single outcome come into existence.

Edited by RabidMongoose

GoldenWolf

This thread isn't about Faith or God!