Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Loud Clap in My Bedroom

LowKeY

This just happened to me less than an hour ago so it's all very fresh in my mind, and it was unlike anything I had ever experienced before so it made me dig a little online. I had just gotten off the phone with my girlfriend to let my phone charge a minute and I was getting situated in bed, not to go to sleep but to support my back to play a video game so I was definitely wide awake. I had my TV on and my game paused but the volume was turned way down so I knew what I heard was certainly not Skyrim doing something weird. The ceiling light was on so I could see just fine if something had moved or fallen over but it was just this REALLY loud sound, like a clap, but this was way louder than any clap I have ever heard by far. I'm not easily spooked but this practically made me jump out of my skin, I remember immediately feeling kind of strange after this sound, my vision was blurred and it still is as I'm writing this half an hour later. Some other people have reported this and passed it off as rapports but this felt nothing like that, granted I was calm at the time but it still feels as though someone or something is literally in the room with me. I had this overwhelming feeling that it was something I couldn't see trying to get my attention for some reason I just don't know what. I can't describe this sound any better, it was as if someone clapped so hard it created a sort of sonic boom. It was brief, and the strangest thing was that I FELT the noise, kind of like when someone shoots a .22 pistol standing next to you. I live with my grandparents and my elderly great grandmother who has dementia, so on top of it not possibly being one of them standing outside my room or something, I could point to you where the sound came from and it was right in the corer of my room to the side of my dresser. It took me a few seconds to collect myself simply from the shock of what had happened but I got up and looked around the room, I figured something had fallen over somewhere and I expected to find a picture knocked over or at least SOMETHING out of place but everything was the same as it had been all day. There's an empty oxygen tank in my room for my grandpa who has COPD, and it sits right about where the sound came from, I knew that wasn't it but I checked anyway just to see if maybe the pressure gauge had cracked but it was unscathed. I looked out in the hallway to be sure I wasn't losing my mind and sure enough it was dead silent out there so I went back to my room and the first thing that drew my attention was the smoke alarm wires. Three wires hang down from my ceiling where the fire alarm is supposed to be hooked up but we have 2-3 others around the house so mine is disconnected, I knew it had nothing to do with it but I decided to sort of blame it on a fuse that blew to rationalize the situation. After investigating I told my girlfriend about what happened and she called me trying to ease my mind about it, and then I realized my phone which was sitting plugged in the whole time was losing charge. I told her I'd call her back since I figured maybe the call was draining the battery but it sat for 20 minutes and never charged over 2% so I went ahead and powered it off. Another 30 minutes rolled past and it hadn't moved from where it was before so I took the battery out to try and blow any dust or residue off the battery but when I had everything back in place and the phone on charge it came up with some weird warning. My phone just came back on after a full hour of this weird flashing warning I have never seen before, the noise I don't think I'll ever understand, and hopefully the phone thing was pure coincidence, but talk about a weird night...

• Like 1

Anything else recently pertinent or suspicious that just might relate to tonight's seemingly paranormal events? 

Paranormal entities draining energy from physical sources is an often claimed phenomenon.

• Like 1

No, this is the first time this has happened, I've been in scarier situations as far as the paranormal but not recently. I was just freaked out about the whole thing, I mean it was like sound just spontaneously came into existence, no physical explanation for it whatsoever.

2 hours ago, LowKeY said:

I'm not easily spooked but this practically made me jump out of my skin, 

.I was calm at the time

Before i continue, you need to be consistant with your story telly.

So, which of the above was it? 

Have you looked into the possibility that it could have been electrical discharge from a faulty circuit? That can go off with a "clap".  The fact that your phone, which was charging had a strange warning would suggest it may have been caught in a localised EMP that gave it a good jolt.  Do you have trip switches in your house?  If so, this probably isn't the answer, but if the wiring is a bit old, you might have trouble in your wall.  The other thing to consider is that reflected sound can fool your hearing as to where the event occurred.

• Like 3

All I know is what I heard, like I said I tried passing it off as a blown fuse because it was the only thing that made any logical sense but I still don't believe that. It didn't sound muffled like it was from inside the wall, it was maybe 4 feet from where I was sitting in bed and it was far too loud to be anything like faulty wiring. I've already double checked the electrical systems around the house and nothing is abnormal, whatever I heard didn't come from a physical plane.

14 hours ago, LowKeY said:

, I could point to you where the sound came from and it was right in the corer of my room to the side of my dresser. It took me a few seconds to collect myself simply from the shock of what had happened but I got up and looked around the room, I figured something had fallen over somewhere and I expected to find a picture knocked over or at least SOMETHING out of place but everything was the same as it had been all day.

Again an inconsidency.

The reason i point these out is because when you are not expecting it, a sound can seem to come from an area or appear a lot louder than it really was when you try to recall its volume in your memory.

Although you think you know how it sounded and how you felt at the time, your inconsistencies are showing that you did not know.

I have no doubt there was a sound, but it could have come from another room or outside, again as you were not expecting it and your mind was clearly focust on other things:

14 hours ago, LowKeY said:

I had just gotten off the phone with my girlfriend to let my phone charge a minute and I was getting situated in bed, not to go to sleep but to support my back to play a video game

You would be guessing where the sound came from ( you even looked around the room althlugh you also said it came from the corner.)

The mind does play tricks on us when we have to think about something which we have not actually seen or expected and especially when it was focused on other things, as you were at the time.

What did the warning say or look like?

15 hours ago, LowKeY said:

weird flashing warning

There is no inconsistency in the story, my bed is only 4 feet from my dresser and the sound originated from one singular spot which is directly to the right of that dresser. I was looking around the room because I thought something had fallen

24 minutes ago, LowKeY said:

There is no inconsistency in the story, my bed is only 4 feet from my dresser and the sound originated from one singular spot which is directly to the right of that dresser. I was looking around the room because I thought something had fallen

That is where it does not match. If it came from the corner, why look around the room? = because it could have come from somewhere else. Are you getting what i am pointing out now? 

The other inconsistencies was how you felt:#4

15 hours ago, LowKeY said:

I live with my grandparents and my elderly great grandmother who has dementia, so on top of it not possibly being one of them standing outside my room or something

Why is it not possible? How many floors in your house and what are the adjacent rooms to your bedroom?  

My grandparents were both asleep in their room in the other side of the house and as I stated originally my great grandmother has dementia. She's 94 years old and can barely walk on her own

19 minutes ago, LowKeY said:

My grandparents were both asleep in their room in the other side of the house and as I stated originally my great grandmother has dementia. She's 94 years old and can barely walk on her own

Is it not possible one of them got up while you were on the phone to your girlfriend and in your bedroom?

Sorry, I think you missed my questions, what rooms are adjacent to your room and how many floors in the house? 

21 hours ago, LowKeY said:

All I know is what I heard, like I said I tried passing it off as a blown fuse because it was the only thing that made any logical sense but I still don't believe that. It didn't sound muffled like it was from inside the wall, it was maybe 4 feet from where I was sitting in bed and it was far too loud to be anything like faulty wiring. I've already double checked the electrical systems around the house and nothing is abnormal, whatever I heard didn't come from a physical plane.

Back in my student days I had a bad appartment, and I discovered I could make the lights flicker by touching a specific are on a wall in the lounge area.  Better yet, it was a share house, and I borrowed a ouija board one night and got my housemates involved.  My particular chair was right near the spot on the wall, so I could elbow it, or rock back on my chair a little and set the lights flickering.  My roomies were all freaking out, and I was pretending to freak out too.  They began to figure out that the "demon" in the room wasn't real when it told them to do the dishes for once.  I bet the slumlord still hasn't fixed it 20+ years later.

Edited by Alchopwn

I believe you. I believe you because a month ago I was looking in my fridge for ten seconds when I heard a very sharp, loud snap right next to my right ear. It sounded like a vinyl record being snapped in half. I couldn't believe it, there was nothing there. It was around 1:00  in the morning.  My wife was sleeping upstairs and it's just the two of us...Friggin' weird.

• 3 weeks later...
On 5/10/2019 at 2:23 PM, LowKeY said:

This just happened to me less than an hour ago so it's all very fresh in my mind, and it was unlike anything I had ever experienced before so it made me dig a little online. I had just gotten off the phone with my girlfriend to let my phone charge a minute and I was getting situated in bed, not to go to sleep but to support my back to play a video game so I was definitely wide awake. I had my TV on and my game paused but the volume was turned way down so I knew what I heard was certainly not Skyrim doing something weird. The ceiling light was on so I could see just fine if something had moved or fallen over but it was just this REALLY loud sound, like a clap, but this was way louder than any clap I have ever heard by far. I'm not easily spooked but this practically made me jump out of my skin, I remember immediately feeling kind of strange after this sound, my vision was blurred and it still is as I'm writing this half an hour later. Some other people have reported this and passed it off as rapports but this felt nothing like that, granted I was calm at the time but it still feels as though someone or something is literally in the room with me. I had this overwhelming feeling that it was something I couldn't see trying to get my attention for some reason I just don't know what. I can't describe this sound any better, it was as if someone clapped so hard it created a sort of sonic boom. It was brief, and the strangest thing was that I FELT the noise, kind of like when someone shoots a .22 pistol standing next to you. I live with my grandparents and my elderly great grandmother who has dementia, so on top of it not possibly being one of them standing outside my room or something, I could point to you where the sound came from and it was right in the corer of my room to the side of my dresser. It took me a few seconds to collect myself simply from the shock of what had happened but I got up and looked around the room, I figured something had fallen over somewhere and I expected to find a picture knocked over or at least SOMETHING out of place but everything was the same as it had been all day. There's an empty oxygen tank in my room for my grandpa who has COPD, and it sits right about where the sound came from, I knew that wasn't it but I checked anyway just to see if maybe the pressure gauge had cracked but it was unscathed. I looked out in the hallway to be sure I wasn't losing my mind and sure enough it was dead silent out there so I went back to my room and the first thing that drew my attention was the smoke alarm wires. Three wires hang down from my ceiling where the fire alarm is supposed to be hooked up but we have 2-3 others around the house so mine is disconnected, I knew it had nothing to do with it but I decided to sort of blame it on a fuse that blew to rationalize the situation. After investigating I told my girlfriend about what happened and she called me trying to ease my mind about it, and then I realized my phone which was sitting plugged in the whole time was losing charge. I told her I'd call her back since I figured maybe the call was draining the battery but it sat for 20 minutes and never charged over 2% so I went ahead and powered it off. Another 30 minutes rolled past and it hadn't moved from where it was before so I took the battery out to try and blow any dust or residue off the battery but when I had everything back in place and the phone on charge it came up with some weird warning. My phone just came back on after a full hour of this weird flashing warning I have never seen before, the noise I don't think I'll ever understand, and hopefully the phone thing was pure coincidence, but talk about a weird night...

I suspect that it could be a thunder clap from Ball Lightening. Everything from battery drains to electrical malfunctions can be easily caused by this form of lightening. Your lucky it didn't chase you Ball Lightening has been know to do this, and in a room you really have no where to go. If I were you I would just go to sleep at this point there is really no danger to you.

Edited by Manwon Lender