Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

La Virgen de Guadalupe

AXJ

Our Lady of Guadalupe (Spanish: Nuestra Señora de Guadalupe), also known as the Virgin of Guadalupe (Spanish: Virgen de Guadalupe), is a Catholic title of the Blessed Virgin Mary associated with a Marian apparition and a venerated image enshrined within the Minor Basilica of Our Lady of Guadalupe in Mexico City. The basilica is the most visited Catholic pilgrimage site in the world, and the world's third most-visited sacred site. Pope Leo XIII granted the venerated image a Canonical Coronation on 12 October 1895.

• Like 1

Viva Our Lady!!!

• Haha 1

Why does the Virgin Mary only ever appear to uneducated peasants in Catholic countries?

• Like 5
  • Haha 2

I assumed the Mexican example was characteristic of other Marian shrines like Fatima, Lourdes and Medugorje.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Ozymandias said:

I assumed the Mexican example was characteristic of other Marian shrines like Fatima, Lourdes and Medugorje.

Somewhat, but it was more a act of trying to preserve a dying culture. Mexican culture is more Native American than it is Spanish and there are many cases where Catholicism was blended with local beliefs. Another example is the Feast of the Dead. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

Hmmm.. this is annoying. There is a word for this... or something similar to this. When a Religion "hijacks" the ceremonies or holy days/places of another religion, in order to facilitate conversions from the other religion. Hence Christianity hijacked the roman feast of Saturnalia, and called it Christmas. What is the term ? 

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, RoofGardener said:

Hmmm.. this is annoying. There is a word for this... or something similar to this. When a Religion "hijacks" the ceremonies or holy days/places of another religion, in order to facilitate conversions from the other religion. Hence Christianity hijacked the roman feast of Saturnalia, and called it Christmas. What is the term ? 

Syncretism 

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Ozymandias said:

Why does the Virgin Mary only ever appear to uneducated peasants in Catholic countries?

My uneducated guess is that the educated would ask the Virgin to show further evidence of her virginity. And by "educated" we are obviously meaning the skeptical atheists.

3 hours ago, jaylemurph said:

The same reason UFOs only appear to drunken rednecks who don’t own tripods. 

—Jaylemurph 

Is that based on historical data?

1 hour ago, RoofGardener said:

Goyasism!

goya-saturno.jpg

Apparitions are just part of the plan for the eventual showing of the Greatest Show on Earth and Heaven. The name of this show? The Day of the Lord! Why day and not night? Because we sleep at night, as we are now, and at daybreak, when the c*** crows, we shall all wake up to a new day, the Day of the Lord. This is also my uneducated opinion, of course.

3 hours ago, Piney said:

Somewhat, but it was more a act of trying to preserve a dying culture. Mexican culture is more Native American than it is Spanish and there are many cases where Catholicism was blended with local beliefs. Another example is the Feast of the Dead. 

Or the Day of the Dead in Mexico...Piney Thanks for that "Feast of the Dead"  I had never heard of it till your post.....

Edited by Alien Origins
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, jaylemurph said:

—Jaylemurph 

You only qualify if you have been on television more than times describing what the UFO looked like.:lol:

3 hours ago, Piney said:

Which is in some ways similar to to the way many pagan believes were blended into European Christianity as it spread. St. Ursula is considered to have derived from a form of Diana (surnamed Ursula, "little bear") that was worshipped int he general area of modern day Cologne, if I'm not completely mistaken. In the same way various local gods were reinterpreted as historical, semi-historical or flat out invented saints.
The Virgin Mary in particular took the role of a whole number of Pagan Goddesses since Christianity failed to provide an alternative to them, until she had become this whole "Heavenly Mother" "Queen of Angels" "Mother of Mercy" pseudo-goddess she is in Catholicism today. 

• Like 3

8 hours ago, RoofGardener said:

Christianity has grafted itself onto paganism (or absorbed and 'christianised' pagan beliefs and festivals) all over Europe and everywhere else it went over the centuries. As Piney said, this process is called syncretism. 

Catholic means universal, therefore the Catholic Church is the universal Church and therefore ALL religious practices fall under its aegis to use as it sees fit.

14 hours ago, Piney said:

Our Lady of Guadalupe was a remade "Corn Mother" and the "peasant" who saw her was actually a Aztec Priest for Chicomecoatl trying to preserve her worship and sacred site. The symbolism found throughout her image is pure Nahuatl and not Christian.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chicomecōātl

She was accepted as a Tonantzin and gave them an acceptable outlet for their native veneration of such.

Edited by Hammerclaw
  • Like 2

13 hours ago, jaylemurph said:

—Jaylemurph 

Not really. The U.S. Navy and airforce has many programs and investigations in place that look at some very credible UFO reporting. 

https://www.navytimes.com/off-duty/military-culture/2019/04/25/aliens-ahoy-navy-developing-guidelines-on-reporting-ufo-sightings/

https://www.sciencealert.com/the-us-navy-will-start-taking-ufo-sightings-much-more-seriously

https://www.sfgate.com/news/article/Frustrated-pilots-got-Navy-to-stop-dismissing-UFO-13793183.php

14 hours ago, Ozymandias said:

Must admit people will generally see and read into what they want. A starving man dreams of bread and all that... Its human nature. But there are also a lot of educated and rich people that also happen to believe. 

Edited by Captain Risky

11 hours ago, Alien Origins said:

Or the Day of the Dead in Mexico...Piney Thanks for that "Feast of the Dead"  I had never heard of it till your post.....

That is the Day of the Dead. My people call it Feast of the Dead or "Skeleton Dance" but it's close to the same celebration. 

• Like 5

14 minutes ago, AXJ said:

Es un milagro...it is a miracle...

Yes, it was I believe.

I went to the shrine at Our Lady of Fatima. Another miracle I believe.

1 minute ago, papageorge1 said:

Yes, it was I believe.

I went to the shrine at Our Lady of Fatima. Another miracle I believe.

Yes, the interesting thing about Guadalupe is the Natives had no idea who this woman was...

• Like 1