Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -
RabidMongoose

Living Centuries

12 posts in this topic

RabidMongoose

In biological science there is a mechanism which operates inside the cells of all lifeforms called autophagy. Two forms were known about until recently which are as follows:

Starvation: When nutrients are low our cells create food bags inside themselves and move all their damaged and non-essential components into them. The cell then eats the contents waiting for the organism to return to normal eating habits. When it does, the cell rebuilds the parts it digested. This form of autophagy gets activated when an organism runs out of sugar and is the reason why intermittent fastening is promoted as a way of extending human lifespan. The reasoning behind it is that cells eat their damaged parts then rebuild new ones fixing cellular damage and making thereby making the organism live longer.

Environmental Stressors: Heat, cold, illness, injuries, radiation, UV radiation, increased g-forces, and anti-oxidants, have all been show to activate a specific type of autophagy. The purpose of it isn't digestion but the removal and rebuilding of our cells damaged parts. Scientists are recommending more anti-oxidants in our diets combined with hot and cold showers to extend lifespan.

And there is a recently discovered third one:

Dehydration/Osmotic Shock: When we are starved of water, or have too much salt in our bodies, a type of autophagy has been shown again to activate. Its purpose being to protect cells by removing damaged parts and rebuilding them.

Now we have all heard Fountain of Youth Tales. I`m going to predict the are true, that people have de-aged in the past from getting into a hot spring or public baths. But it hasn't been fully known what was going on. I am going to predict human immortality by having a red hot or icy cold bath, during a fast, and while feeling dehydrated. 

• Haha 3

danydandan

For God sake. 

• Haha 3

sci-nerd

Definitely the wrong category. What I can't decide is if it belongs in Jokes or in Cryptozoology?!

• Thanks 2

danydandan
28 minutes ago, sci-nerd said:

Definitely the wrong category. What I can't decide is if it belongs in Jokes or in Cryptozoology?!

The bin. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Pettytalk
3 hours ago, RabidMongoose said:

In biological science there is a mechanism which operates inside the cells of all lifeforms called autophagy. Two forms were known about until recently which are as follows:

Starvation: When nutrients are low our cells create food bags inside themselves and move all their damaged and non-essential components into them. The cell then eats the contents waiting for the organism to return to normal eating habits. When it does, the cell rebuilds the parts it digested. This form of autophagy gets activated when an organism runs out of sugar and is the reason why intermittent fastening is promoted as a way of extending human lifespan. The reasoning behind it is that cells eat their damaged parts then rebuild new ones fixing cellular damage and making thereby making the organism live longer.

Environmental Stressors: Heat, cold, illness, injuries, radiation, UV radiation, increased g-forces, and anti-oxidants, have all been show to activate a specific type of autophagy. The purpose of it isn't digestion but the removal and rebuilding of our cells damaged parts. Scientists are recommending more anti-oxidants in our diets combined with hot and cold showers to extend lifespan.

And there is a recently discovered third one:

Dehydration/Osmotic Shock: When we are starved of water, or have too much salt in our bodies, a type of autophagy has been shown again to activate. Its purpose being to protect cells by removing damaged parts and rebuilding them.

Now we have all heard Fountain of Youth Tales. I`m going to predict the are true, that people have de-aged in the past from getting into a hot spring or public baths. But it hasn't been fully known what was going on. I am going to predict human immortality by having a red hot or icy cold bath, during a fast, and while feeling dehydrated. 

You would be better preserved in alcohol. You are already immortal, for God's sake!

• Like 1

LightAngel

I feel that many conclusions drawn from pop-science articles or media are usually at best only 50% scientifically accurate and then the other 50% is wishful thinking. 

Autophagy is a very well-known cell mechanism, but its effects as well as its triggers are still very much unknown and require further study. Also, when it actually comes to what elements of the cell are "non-essential" for survival, one should be careful in using that term. 

Just as the brain will feed on ketone bodies in glucose-deficiency, then starving the brain of glucose is not exactly recommended. In that sense - when the cell is protecting itself from death - many things become non-essential. This we can also extrapolate into life - where almost everything else becomes much less important if you're in a life-threatening situation.

But this does not mean that you would want to live your entire life in a life-threatening situation. 875.gif

One example is in tumor therapy where fasting has been introduced as part of cancer therapy, and it has in fact been found that autophagy in different conditions may in some cases favor cancer cell destruction and in some cases cancer cell growth. 

So, it can work both ways, and how to make it work favorably is still something that requires a lot more work to be done. :)

Therefore, I think that it is a little premature to be talking about any Fountain of Youth or whatnot, and I also think that it is very unfortunate that most people that get their "science facts" - get them from sources that misinterpret science. If you want to read science, you need to turn to actual scientific articles, not their reverberations and embellishments in science magazines or worst yet - regular news feeds. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

Habitat

Dead-set reckon someone is putting something in the water around here lately.

• Thanks 1

Piney
4 hours ago, LightAngel said:

If you want to read science, you need to turn to actual scientific articles, not their reverberations and embellishments in science magazines or worst yet - regular news feeds. 

That's why real traditional healers actually read medical journals.  :yes:

• Like 1

LightAngel
6 hours ago, Piney said:

That's why real traditional healers actually read medical journals.  :yes:

Yes. :yes::D

• Thanks 1

moonman
On 5/10/2019 at 1:32 PM, RabidMongoose said:

I am going to predict human immortality by having a red hot or icy cold bath, during a fast, and while feeling dehydrated. 

I am going to predict that's a great way to go into cardiac arrest.

• Like 1

LightAngel

@RabidMongoose:

you are so quiet now.

Some of us gave you a reply that was related to this topic, but you stay silent....... why?!

It shouldn't be a waste of time to reply to post in here. 879.gif

To feel proud can be both good and bad... it all depend on the situation!

Think about that......

XenoFish

Immortality is overrated.