Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Admiration.

danydandan

17 minutes ago, XenoFish said:

You also have to consider that most of the believers in the various religions are the cafeteria variety. I don't think many of them (maybe majority) take it seriously. It takes a "special" kind of person to be a religious fanatic or a Jesus freak. 

A person can talk to god to ease their troubled mind, and find the will to overcome great odds because of it. If that's what it takes so be it.

Another person can muster to will to achieve without a shred of spirituality at all. No one is exactly alike. 

I think on here we run across a few who have that "all or nothing" mindset. That anyone who deviates from it is wrong or stupid. Ignorant or whatever. It shows a narrow mindedness. 

I have my ideas and opinions, that's all I have. I don't even hold those views as being right. Because admittedly I could be wrong.

My intent is not to over generalize, or to bash anyone, but the truly religious fanatics that I have encountered are also dealing with an undiagnosed mental  illness of some kind. 

Of course, there are exceptions. 

Edited by Sherapy
  • Like 2

7 minutes ago, XenoFish said:

I think a few of them have parental issues. God is a surrogate parent to them. I can think of one person like that here on UM. Can't say due to rules but I won't have to.

Now, that you mention it,  I think at one time when I was a young Atheist it was the equivalent of giving my mom the finger, I can see in some cases that being a theist might be the same for one with an Atheist Dad/Mom.

Edited by Sherapy
  • Like 2

1 minute ago, Sherapy said:

Now, that you mention it, , I think at one time when I was a young Atheist it was the equivalent of giving my mom the finger, I can see in some cases that being a theist might be the same for one with an Atheist Dad/Mom.

Not much different than my occult practices. Which were against Christian beliefs. An act of rebellion. 

Edited by XenoFish
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, XenoFish said:

Not much different than my occult practices. Which were against Christian beliefs. An act of rebellion. 

Exactly. 

Atheism was empowering for me, of course, as a newbie I was over the top at times. 

Theism was never in the cards for me. 

I just knew early I wasn’t theist, not unlike the person who just knew they were a female even though they inhabited a male body. 

Lol

Edited by Sherapy
  • Like 4

I have to say that I admire anyone who stands by their convictions, be it the same or different than mine.   As was stated earlier, character will speak volumes about a person.  

• Like 4

20 hours ago, Horta said:

ps. apart from an emotional ad hominem, do you have anything intelligent and relevant to the topic that might further discussion?

well, he hasn't yet so I don't see why that would change now, or in the foreseeable future...

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

11 minutes ago, Jodie.Lynne said:

well, he hasn't yet so I don't see why that would change now, or in the foreseeable future...

A lot of cut n' paste posting and obvious trolling is all I can see. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

17 hours ago, Jodie.Lynne said:

Don't you remember your wish/order? You want me the same, always!

17 hours ago, XenoFish said:

A lot of cut n' paste posting and obvious trolling is all I can see. 

Come on Xeno, you are just upset with me because you were distracted in our chess games, and most likely blamed me for it! Was I trolling you there? Not that I'm trolling here, either!  How can I get this wrong label (troll) off my box?

6 minutes ago, Pettytalk said:

Come on Xeno, you are just upset with me because you were distracted in our chess games, and most likely blamed me for it! Was I trolling you there? Not that I'm trolling here, either!  How can I get this wrong label (troll) off my box?

We never played chess. I don't play chess at all and if I did I wouldn't bother with you. As far as I can tell, you're trolling right now.

• Like 1

I admire anyone who does not label me as a religious troll. And I adore anyone that will try to understand me for what I AM. I AM, I said.....

But I will just settle for a little respect and understanding that I too have something to contribute here, or there, or anywhere, even if it's thought of as nothing. I'm nothing that anyone can imagine, if I'm troll to anyone here. 

Respect is only given if it is earned. It is not something that is deserved because you want it. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, XenoFish said:

We never played chess. I don't play chess at all and if I did I wouldn't bother with you. As far as I can tell, you're trolling right now.

Would you care for another game? Chess is game of wits, head game, and we have been playing with our wits all along! Are you not a witty Fish! Why would you consider wit as trolling? Yours or mine?

2 minutes ago, XenoFish said:

Respect is only given if it is earned. It is not something that is deserved because you want it. 

Is it built on a point system, respect I mean? Obviously your 70,000 plus points makes you way more respectful than my measly 500 plus.

22 hours ago, danydandan said:

There are silly people everywhere. Me included. 

Self-admiration is not valid.

21 hours ago, danydandan said:

Imagine how insane you'd drive yourself if you had to have closure on everything you ever questioned and you just happened to be agnostic. 

You mean to say that Xeno could be in deeper perplexity if he happened to be a Gambler?

19 hours ago, XenoFish said:

I think on here we run across a few who have that "all or nothing" mindset. That anyone who deviates from it is wrong or stupid. Ignorant or whatever. It shows a narrow mindedness. 

Are you including in the few those that keep labeling, at all costs, all the believers as wrong and stupid, ignorant, fanatics, or whatever, because of their "science is all, and theology is nothing" mindset?

36 minutes ago, XenoFish said:

I tend to approach respect in the opposite direction. Given to all at first, then taken away from some. Though there are some who earn an even greater degree of respect, so I guess it's more accurate to say that everyone gets treated with a baseline degree of respect from me, then either have that taken away or have even more added to them based on their words and actions, etc.

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, Pettytalk said:

Is it built on a point system, respect I mean? Obviously your 70,000 plus points makes you way more respectful than my measly 500 plus.

Hey now, this isn't an RPG here. :lol: We're all speaking in relative terms, obviously. 

2 hours ago, Pettytalk said:

Self-admiration is not valid.

We all might as well admire ourselves, because who else is going to admire us?

Congratulations on your third place finish in the chess tournament.

Edited by danydandan
  • Like 3

4 minutes ago, danydandan said:

Yep. Kinda sucks to hate yourself, cause everywhere you go, there you are. Just puts you in a never ending bad mood.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

18 hours ago, danydandan said:

Congratulations on your third place finish in the chess tournament.

We all have a mother for that else. They say for some, that only a mother can love, or admire. And it may be true in my case. However, although I'm not your mother, this other else admires your self-admiration because it shows you are humble and meek. And I do believe that the meek shall inherit the earth. That upper earth described by someone I admire most among "living" mankind.

Thanks for the congrats, but as far as I'm concerned, your game is much better than mine. And I'll be the one to tender my congratulations to you next year, God willing.

However, we need to get Xenofish to play in the tournament next year, so that my prophecy can come true. As the Oracle at Delphi, I too was delusional, as for a moment I thought Xeno was Joc....Was I sitting on the Tripod or just on the brink of Senility?  The coming with the age!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 5/14/2019 at 3:15 PM, Aquila King said:

Yep. Kinda sucks to hate yourself, cause everywhere you go, there you are. Just puts you in a never ending bad mood.

Before you can truly love another, you must first love who you are. :)

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Jodie.Lynne said:

you must first love who you are. :)

Hi Jodie

Oh but I do although it does seem to be a bit of a challenge for others.:lol::whistle:

jmccr8

• Haha 1