Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Best States for a chance to see bigfoot

DieChecker

this goes back to does bf exist and its all speculative, i recall grover krantz droning on and on about bigfoot "social order" its living, eating, breeding habits, etc, and my mind jumps to, how the hell does he know all this??? well, he doesnt, he is guessing, fantasizing, all dear true believers do that its the lifeblood of that club.

sure, "if" a large creature in this case bf existed it wouldnt be reaching to say well, its more likely to be in dense unpopulated woods than time square, but even a cockroach or rat by instinct avoids not just humans but anything that might harm it, and if bf did exist there is zero to support its any more intelligent than a bear or wolf,

but...IF bf existed and was elusive hiding high up in the northern west deep woods and IF anyone reported seeing one, i guess if people are there to see it both bf failed to be elusive and that deep unpopular northern west forests do have people running about,  hence populated.

if something cant be proven to exist then who cares  its folklore, fiction.

this whole idea of which state is it most likely to see a bf goes to show just how much focus and spot light is on the subject countless hours and dollars spent looking and we still have zero, zip.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I've thought about this before.  You have some states bigger than others, hence, all else being equal, more sightings.  But also, some states have a bigger human population giving more sightings. A  long story but the best way *imo* to gauge it is:    Sightings density / population density.

If I'm not so lazy this week, I'll see if I can get it done. It's easy to do on a spreadsheet but I bought a new 'puter as I cooked my old one by spilling a beverage on it. anyway, I don't have a spreadsheet on this 'puter. Grrrr, dang Microsoft.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1

4 hours ago, Earl.Of.Trumps said:

I've thought about this before.  You have some states bigger than others, hence, all else being equal, more sightings.  But also, some states have a bigger human population giving more sightings. A  long story but the best way *imo* to gauge it is:    Sightings density / population density.

If I'm not so lazy this week, I'll see if I can get it done. It's easy to do on a spreadsheet but I bought a new 'puter as I cooked my old one by spilling a beverage on it. anyway, I don't have a spreadsheet on this 'puter. Grrrr, dang Microsoft.

What are you proposing?

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Trelane said:

What are you proposing?

I'll say it again:  "the best way *imo* to gauge it is:    Sightings density / population density. "

• Haha 1
  • Confused 1

After listening to the astonishing legends podcast break the Patterson film down in 4 episodes to every aspect from the people who made it, what the hoaxers say, what costume makers say and scientists. Idk I think there’s something tangible in the film other than a man in a suit. But, that’s just my opinion man

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

5 hours ago, AstralHorus said:

After listening to the astonishing legends podcast break the Patterson film down in 4 episodes to every aspect from the people who made it, what the hoaxers say, what costume makers say and scientists. Idk I think there’s something tangible in the film other than a man in a suit. But, that’s just my opinion man

what i noticed after 40 plus years of being interested in bf and the pgf was when any show, documentrary or lecture is made whatever agenda they want it to be ends up being the only possible right one,

some of my observations,

i loved watching grover krantz many times adamantly say no man can walk like the pgf creature and he jumps up and does it rather well, i had to laugh when it dawnd on him he shot himself in the foot so he blurts something like "i didnt do it very long".

i recall a documentary where several big sciences are discussing the film meldrum does his "this is anything but just a man in a fur suit" in his normal trying too hard to be overconfidence manor and William Sellars  trying not to bust out lauging shoots right back at him that it just shrieks of a man in a suit, it really does. so called experts do not agree in fact meldrum is about the last holdout on the film and his opinions are in question, like when he hailed a known hoax the snow walker as a real 9 ft  creature no way a man in suit and in par with the pgf then when snow walker was exposed hoax meldrum tries to say he had doubts all along, bs, and meldrum believes bf is giagathotapitus, a theory long debunked.

a lot is lost thru embelishment, when someone says they know the alleged creatures size and weight, this isnt possible because there is zero way to have the data needed to archive the results, we do not know the distance patterson was from the alleged creature, the angle, the speed either were moving, patterson wasnt even sure of camera speed but went with the speed krantz told him reflected a "bigfoot" rather than a man in a suit. to make claims that prove size is not based in any science.

another point is all the hype about enchanting the film to see all kinds of stuff that was simply never there, you cant enhance something not there to start with, and no one has used the orginal which wasnt great quailty to start with, one example was some no name film analyst "expert" on monsterquest claiming his was the original, it wasnt enhanced the film far beyond its resolution then tried to say that a film artifact or background blurring object was the alleged creature opening and closing its mouth, that is the type of non science that the pgf is soaked in.

ive seen the type info you say you just listened to and it convinced me more than ever the film shows a lucky hoax from a long time slacker con man needing a money shot before shuffling off this mortal coil.

a lot of people seem to believe if a person has PhD in their name they cant be wrong or mistaken, not true.

now before dear true believers get a butthurting kickers knot, its known i dont "believe" in bigfoot however i am very open to be shown proof that im wrong im just saying nothing about the pgf is proof or evidence as far as science goes even if attention seekers with letters with their names claim it is,

ill leave you with this thought, if the pgf creature was real why was it the only subject ever seen or filmed like it?

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

My friend in upper Canada believes Bigfoots are alien's pets and they just let them out periodically to go to the bathroom. That's why they are so hard to track down.

I have some weird friends.

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

3 hours ago, the13bats said:

what i noticed after 40 plus years of being interested in bf and the pgf was when any show, documentrary or lecture is made whatever agenda they want it to be ends up being the only possible right one,

some of my observations,

i loved watching grover krantz many times adamantly say no man can walk like the pgf creature and he jumps up and does it rather well, i had to laugh when it dawnd on him he shot himself in the foot so he blurts something like "i didnt do it very long".

i recall a documentary where several big sciences are discussing the film meldrum does his "this is anything but just a man in a fur suit" in his normal trying too hard to be overconfidence manor and William Sellars  trying not to bust out lauging shoots right back at him that it just shrieks of a man in a suit, it really does. so called experts do not agree in fact meldrum is about the last holdout on the film and his opinions are in question, like when he hailed a known hoax the snow walker as a real 9 ft  creature no way a man in suit and in par with the pgf then when snow walker was exposed hoax meldrum tries to say he had doubts all along, bs, and meldrum believes bf is giagathotapitus, a theory long debunked.

a lot is lost thru embelishment, when someone says they know the alleged creatures size and weight, this isnt possible because there is zero way to have the data needed to archive the results, we do not know the distance patterson was from the alleged creature, the angle, the speed either were moving, patterson wasnt even sure of camera speed but went with the speed krantz told him reflected a "bigfoot" rather than a man in a suit. to make claims that prove size is not based in any science.

another point is all the hype about enchanting the film to see all kinds of stuff that was simply never there, you cant enhance something not there to start with, and no one has used the orginal which wasnt great quailty to start with, one example was some no name film analyst "expert" on monsterquest claiming his was the original, it wasnt enhanced the film far beyond its resolution then tried to say that a film artifact or background blurring object was the alleged creature opening and closing its mouth, that is the type of non science that the pgf is soaked in.

ive seen the type info you say you just listened to and it convinced me more than ever the film shows a lucky hoax from a long time slacker con man needing a money shot before shuffling off this mortal coil.

a lot of people seem to believe if a person has PhD in their name they cant be wrong or mistaken, not true.

now before dear true believers get a butthurting kickers knot, its known i dont "believe" in bigfoot however i am very open to be shown proof that im wrong im just saying nothing about the pgf is proof or evidence as far as science goes even if attention seekers with letters with their names claim it is,

ill leave you with this thought, if the pgf creature was real why was it the only subject ever seen or filmed like it?

Like I said my opinion, never said you had to believe anything. From many posts I’ve seen from you it seems you’re very militant at debunking and being skeptic while trying to  bend people to your view. Also, just my opinion. :rolleyes:

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1

9 minutes ago, AstralHorus said:

Like I said my opinion, never said you had to believe anything. From many posts I’ve seen from you it seems you’re very militant at debunking and being skeptic while trying to  bend people to your view. Also, just my opinion. :rolleyes:

dead wrong, ive never tried to bend anyone to my opinions, in this case i dont  believe a good opinion can be forum from one biased pod cast, if you believe it can..thats fine.

from your askew mistaken rundown of me made from cherry picking things ive said to fit that opinion now i see why you would think the pgf is a real creature.

:tu:

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

New Mexico is a big state and has a small population.  People do claim to see what they think is big foot but no one reports it.

• Like 3

12 hours ago, Desertrat56 said:

New Mexico is a big state and has a small population.  People do claim to see what they think is big foot but no one reports it.

The state that I think would move near to the top is Montana.  It has the right latitude/temperature and a very small population density. Alaska would likely be the best

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

I, myself, don't buy the "wilderness is full of people", arguement. In Oregon every year we have people who go hiking and get lost. Hundreds of people, often with tracking dogs will search for days and not find them. Sometimes they walk back out of the woods dozens of miles from where they were supposed to be... having wandered for days and not seen a soul, or even found a road.

True, often these people are poorly informed/trained, but the point being they spent days in areas frequented by people, with dogs and people looking for them, and they aren't found and see no one. Sometimes they spend days sitting on a log road, waiting... seeing no one.

The woods aren't as traveled as some are quick to claim, at least not in the Oregon Cascades.

Edited by DieChecker
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

That's a good one, @DieChecker.

It's a good way to present as to why a creature that is trying to evade humans is so hard to find in the deep woods.

Edited by Earl.Of.Trumps
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, DieChecker said:

I, myself, don't buy the "wilderness is full of people", arguement. In Oregon every year we have people who go hiking and get lost. Hundreds of people, often with tracking dogs will search for days and not find them. Sometimes they walk back out of the woods dozens of miles from where they were supposed to be... having wandered for days and not seen a soul, or even found a road.

True, often these people are poorly informed/trained, but the point being they spent days in areas frequented by people, with dogs and people looking for them, and they aren't found and see no one. Sometimes they spend days sitting on a log road, waiting... seeing no one.

The woods aren't as traveled as some are quick to claim, at least not in the Oregon Cascades.

Absolutely, I'm from Oregon myself and I'm amused at how most people think that every part of this country is just visible to human activity all the time. I hiked the woods around Applegate in my youth all the time and it doesn't take more than a few miles in any direction to become completely isolated from any human activity. Much of the country north of the Rougue valley is mostly uninhabited for hundred of miles. 

We were driving through the Applegate region last summer and I turned and asked my girlfriend how far I thought she could see into the woods from the car. She replied "maybe 200 feet, in some places only 30 or 40". And that's off a major road. People who think you can just set up trail cams in a few spots have never been in thick woods before and don't have any idea of the scope of area we're talking about. I'm absolutely certain there are thousands of square miles in that region alone that might see a human being once a year, if that. And many places that haven't seen a human in decades. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

3 minutes ago, Calibeliever said:

We were driving through the Applegate region last summer and I turned and asked my girlfriend how far I thought she could see into the woods from the car. She replied "maybe 200 feet, in some places only 30 or 40". And that's off a major road. 

Good point. How often does someone drive from, say, I5, over to the coast and see someone standing in the woods near the highway? Its about 50 miles, or so, and yet in the forested parts... no one in the woods. Go 200 feet out into the National Forest, or State Forest from the highway and how many people do you see? None... 

Now someone is going to post... "Oh yeah? I saw a guy one time!", but that is one time, not every drive through the forest.

• Like 2

For the people in here that have an interest:   link     LEGEND:  Rank by State (ordered largest to smallest),  State, and Population density = people per square mile.

Rank  State               PopDensity

# 39   Oregon             45 p/mi2  

# 45   NewMexico      17 p/mi2  

# 48  Montana             7 p/mi2  

# 50  Alaska                 1 p/mi2  

So Oregon would have a population density 45 times that of Alaska yet Alaska itself is considered a hot bed of BF activity, too.

1 hour ago, Earl.Of.Trumps said:

For the people in here that have an interest:   link     LEGEND:  Rank by State (ordered largest to smallest),  State, and Population density = people per square mile.

Rank  State               PopDensity

# 39   Oregon             45 p/mi2  

# 45   NewMexico      17 p/mi2  

# 48  Montana             7 p/mi2  

# 50  Alaska                 1 p/mi2  

So Oregon would have a population density 45 times that of Alaska yet Alaska itself is considered a hot bed of BF activity, too.

... aand some quick math using this shows that 2.867 million (nearly 70%) of Oregonians (pronounced origunians) live within the 1000 (1.03%)  sq miles (total area) of cities. That leaves only 30% (1.3 million) living on the other 97,000 sq miles. Even if you spread them out evenly that is roughly 50 acres per person. 

For Alaska, they probably had to round way UP to get to 1 person per sq mile :)

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Calibeliever said:

... aand some quick math using this shows that 2.867 million (nearly 70%) of Oregonians (pronounced origunians) live within the 1000 (1.03%)  sq miles (total area) of cities. That leaves only 30% (1.3 million) living on the other 97,000 sq miles. Even if you spread them out evenly that is roughly 50 acres per person. 

For Alaska, they probably had to round way UP to get to 1 person per sq mile :)

Cali, I thought about ripping out the populations from cities (and the area) but it's a lot of work especially in a state like California. I think for now, the unadjusted ratio of BF reports to humans (both per area) would make a big difference.

Now, I have gone to a BFRO site to get the data for sightings. then divide by the above data, pop. density Here's what we get:

New Mexico 42/  /17   =   

Alaska 22/  /1             =  

Oregon 250/  /45        =   

Montana  47/  /7         =   

**  Half done.   Be back top finish  it

Edited by Earl.Of.Trumps
  • Like 2

I think we can get to the Bigfoot in 'person' if we offer a reward of money that is most enticing - for Bigfoot to claim, or humans to claim who manage to catch one dead or alive.

11 hours ago, Earl.Of.Trumps said:

Now, I have gone to a BFRO site to get the data for sightings. then divide by the above data by area and pop. density Here's what we get: (area is mi2 divided by 105 )

New Mexico 42/1.21 /17   =    2.04

Alaska 22/6.65 /1             =     3.30

Oregon 250/0.98 /45        =    5.66

Montana  47/ 1.47 /7         =   4.57

Oregon's the best!   Montana did rise up as expected

Maybe I'll do all 50 sometime this week.

Edited by Earl.Of.Trumps
  • Like 1

11 hours ago, oslove said:

I think we can get to the Bigfoot in 'person' if we offer a reward of money that is most enticing - for Bigfoot to claim, or humans to claim who manage to catch one dead or alive.

I believe rewards have been offered in the past.   Still no physical evidence has been brought forward.

• Like 1

On 5/15/2019 at 3:48 PM, Calibeliever said:

My friend in upper Canada believes Bigfoots are alien's pets and they just let them out periodically to go to the bathroom. That's why they are so hard to track down.

I have some weird friends.

This is my new favorite theory.

Please have your friend register here at UM!

• Like 1

I believe that California has very large probability for that :D

16 hours ago, oslove said:

rewards have been offered for decades and still zero, zip, zlitch,

its pretty much a given if a person proved bf was a real living creature and not more likely just folklore that person would be set for life, lots of clowns know this they claim to have shot a bigfoot or have the body in a freezer, and it always ends with zip.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, the13bats said:

rewards have been offered for decades and still zero, zip, zlitch,

its pretty much a given if a person proved bf was a real living creature and not more likely just folklore that person would be set for life, lots of clowns know this they claim to have shot a bigfoot or have the body in a freezer, and it always ends with zip.

ATLANTA, Georgia (CNN) -- The Bigfoot in the freezer is made of rubber, a Web posting asserted Tuesday.

The frozen creature reputed to be Bigfoot turned out to be made of rubber, an enthusaist reports.

The frozen creature reputed to be Bigfoot turned out to be made of rubber, an enthusaist reports.

Click to view previous image
1 of 3
Click to view next image
corner_wire_BL.gif

The initial promoter of two hikers' claim that they found the body of Bigfoot in Georgia said he has determined that the discovery was a hoax.

The body turned out to be rubber, and the two men who claimed that they found it, Matthew Whitton and Rick Dyer, have admitted that it was a costume, said a posting Tuesday on the Web sites of Searching for Bigfoot Inc. and Squatchdetective.

The posting purportedly was written by Steve Kulls, who maintains the Squatchdetective Web site and hosts a similarly named Internet radio program, where the find was announced weeks ago.

In addition, Stanford University anthropologist Richard Klein said Monday that he was not aware he had been identified as participating in the project and would not be involved in any effort to examine the purported Bigfoot carcass.

Whitton and Dyer announced last week that they had found the body of a 7-foot-7-inch, 500-pound half-ape, half-human creature while hiking in the north Georgia mountains in June. They said they put the carcass in a freezer and had spotted about three similar living creatures.

"We were not looking for Bigfoot," Whitton, a Clayton County, Georgia, police officer, said Friday during a news conference. "We wouldn't know what we were doing if we did."

He and Dyer insisted that scientific analysis would bear out their claim.

The hoax was discovered after an "expedited melting process," Kulls wrote. "A break appeared up near the feet area ... as the team and I began examining this area near the feet, I observed the foot which looked unnatural, reached in and confirmed it was a rubber foot."

Kulls said he contacted Tom Biscardi, the self-described "Real Bigfoot Hunter" who has been searching since 1971 for the creature of legend and appeared alongside Whitton and Dyer at the news conference.

"Later that day, Tom Biscardi informed us that both Matthew Whitton and Ricky Dyer admitted it was a costume," the posting said.

Whitton and Dyer reportedly agreed to sign a promissory note and an admission of the hoax and meet with Biscardi at their hotel on Sunday. But when Biscardi went to the hotel, the two had left, Kulls wrote.

"At this time, action is being instigated against the perpetrators," the posting said, adding that the motives behind the claims were unknown. iReport.com: Do you believe in Bigfoot?

The posting said Biscardi's organization, Searching for Bigfoot Inc., "is seeking justice for themselves and for all the people who were deceived by this deception."

Kulls did not immediately return a call to the Squatchdetective contact number. A woman answering the phone at Searching for Bigfoot Inc. said Biscardi had been ill and said she was not sure when he would be returning calls.

A number listed as belonging to Matthew Whitton was disconnected as of Tuesday. Efforts to locate a phone number for Dyer on Tuesday were unsuccessful.

Dyer and Whitton failed to show up Monday for a scheduled appearance on CNN's "American Morning."

Kulls said that at the time he first interviewed Dyer on July 28 for the radio program, he suspected the duo's motive was financial. On August 12, he said, the two "requested an undisclosed sum of money as an advance, expected from the marketing and promotion."

Two days later, after signing a receipt and counting the money, Dyer and Whitton showed the Searching for Bigfoot team the freezer containing what they claimed was the body: "something appearing large, hairy and frozen in ice," Kulls wrote.

• Like 2