Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Mystery creature carcass discovered in Florida

UM-Bot

• The title was changed to Mystery creature carcass discovered in Florida

Anything to make a buck eh..

• Like 2

Something that is the right size to be and looks like a shriveled alligator in Florida, a place that has a lot of alligators? This is a true mystery!

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

no, i dont vote iguana even though they run wild further south, igunans have blunter heads, and spikes down the back, i had a couple about 30 years back,

my vote is monitor lizard,

5cd81868767ff_MONITORLIZARD2.jpg.8905848383350c7fd459786b211bed39.jpg

sleeker and more shaped like the carcass, which is pretty gone but has an odd dried out on purpose look to me, like a gaff, a creature dies here it normally doesnt look that intact and good.

Titusville is on the coast and was were tropical wonderland was, at one point a big deal by the 70s it was u kept poorly run, bleeding money and when shut down many animals were simply turned loose, ahem, excaped, monkey road kills were not uncommon, the land was used by a building contratctor outfit they used the old reptile house as their offices, the things like train and boat rides just filled over, they were not up for wanna be indiana jones types like me to go stomping around back in there not that i didnt bug them to do so countless times in the 80s,

now a large part was made into a housing project, no telling what those people might find if they go for a dig in their own back yard.

back to the OT, this isnt a mystery just someone wanting attention and possible $$$ ( sell it on ebay ) or ill give you a 20 dollar bill for it, but a few tests will prove its some well known common boring lizard that died or was killed.

edit: im gonna flip flop you know looking at the head and only this one angle, im not sure its reptile at all, a dried up bald possum would take on this look,  ive seen rats is hot attics here mummify and all the hair mass is gone they look very much like this,

we need more pictures or just test DNA and its solved right there.

Edited by the13bats
adding
  • Like 2

A pet komodo dragon?

25 minutes ago, oldrover said:

That's a mammal not a reptile. One of the Carnivorans. 

same i started thinking after looking closer at the picture, but its not the full story its too clean and complete,  look at the sand and grass that isnt where that laid long enough to mummify without even insect damage, the weather here isnt right for that right now and Titusville is coastal.

my vote is stagged event.

• Like 2

Looks like a lizard of some type.

• Like 1

Taken with the size, the length of the legs tells you it isn't a reptile. Plus there are better photos online which show a detached lower jaw with diferentiated teeth,  which also tells you it's a mammal. The hair has come off, the body is dessicated,  that's what nakes it look reptilian. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, oldrover said:

Opossum? 

perhaps...

found the other pic, , thats not a lizards month

both possums and raccoons are plentiful here, and would look similar in that condition,

if i were there i could likely tell in less than a minute which critter it is, was.

i am still thinking something fishy here, it just would not look that good left out in the open.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, oldrover said:

Taken with the size, the length of the legs tells you it isn't a reptile. Plus there are better photos online which show a detached lower jaw with diferentiated teeth,  which also tells you it's a mammal. The hair has come off, the body is dessicated,  that's what nakes it look reptilian. 

Yep got some better pic !

found some: https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-7017987/Florida-woman-shares-photo-bizarre-creatures-grisly-carcass-backyard.html

Yeah probably a canidae or a possum...

Edited by Jon the frog
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Jon the frog said:

perhaps im harping on it too much but i have lived here floriduh all my life i know how things like this decay, we have zillions of scavengers ranging from insects to buzzards that wouldnt have have passed up a free meal,

our weather has been very hot but rainy, where i have seen creatures look like this is in a hot attic, it mummifies stuff fairly quickly, ive seens countless rats in attics that looked very much like this.

• Like 2

22 hours ago, the13bats said:

perhaps...

found the other pic, , thats not a lizards month

both possums and raccoons are plentiful here, and would look similar in that condition,

if i were there i could likely tell in less than a minute which critter it is, was.

i am still thinking something fishy here, it just would not look that good left out in the open.

I'm less inclined toward opossum now, I don't think the teeth look right. But I'm a layman, have never even seen one, and the photis aren't really clear enough. 

• Like 1

well, i have zero to gauge size besides what they wrote and that would help the bottom jaw of a racoon or possum are very similar and in this condition i would bet as there are zillions of both running around here,

when i look down on that head shot i lean more to racoon,

and before anyone scoffs at coati many road side zoo attractions had them, about 20 25 years back after she pasted away i gave my grandmother squirrel monkey to a wifelife sanctuary guy who had two others i wanted the monkey to be with its own kind,

the guy had a family of coati the young were just running around nuts but friendly climbed all over me cute as hell and about the size of a house cat, very long claws he said i could adopt one just have to get a permit, i wasnt up for it and when he showed me the mom and dad in cages i didnt know they grew that large like a big breed dog,

this guys land was in little bithlo fl about 15 to 20 miles from Titusville, and while its been defunt since the 70s tropical wonderland was in Titusville and still open between bithlo and there is a low end roadside zoo shaped like a lizard on highway 50 who knows what critters they have.

im gonna toss out there this was a racoon maybe possum found mummified in an attic or not so open loft and was laid there for the photo opp,

any good vet would know in a minute with it what it is so this is all about attention.

Definitely looks like a dead Goanna. Have seen a couple here and there. Suppose Monitor Lizard would be same as.

8 hours ago, TheOracle said:

Definitely looks like a dead Goanna. Have seen a couple here and there. Suppose Monitor Lizard would be same as.

my first assumption was lizard too, look at the pic of the lower jaw, its not a reptile

Looks just like a Tasmanian devil to me.