Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Explorer achieves deepest ever undersea dive

UM-Bot

So, basically, a less James Cameron-y version of 'The Abyss'.

Must be hot down there with all of that trapped heat?

B)

I know I'd be sweating.

Depth
10994 m
36069.55 ft
6010.93 fathom
Pressure
110439.57 kPa
1104.4 bar
1089.95 atm
16017.9 psi
828364.88 mmHg
32612.79 inHg

Another kink in the "we know more about space than we do about the ocean" thought.   

Title mentions miles. Then it switches to feet. Then it mentions the team recording square kilometres. I wish we'd all just stick to metric. I dislike having to convert stuff in and out. I realise USA is a major country and uses imperial and as such news will reported in such measurements for them, but it's still a shame. Still, very impressive. Wonder if James Cameron will go for an one-up dive. It takes hours to get down that low, slowly, listening to the creaking of your hull, knowing one poorly tightened bolt could spell the difference between success and death.

• 2 weeks later...

Related reports...

"Trash found littering ocean floor in deepest-ever sub dive"

Full report at Reuters: https://uk.reuters.com/article/uk-environment-pollution/trash-found-littering-ocean-floor-in-deepest-ever-sub-dive-idUKKCN1SJ24L

"Victor Vescovo descends 36,000ft into the abyss, finding plastic bags and four new species"

At iNews: https://inews.co.uk/news/environment/mariana-trench-dive-victor-vescovo-depth-new-species-plastic/