Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Political Correctness at Wrigley Field

Hawken

53 minutes ago, OverSword said:

Again, the contemporary use combined with the intent is what determines what something like this means.  If a white supremist uses this symbol with the intent of it meaning something racist or racial supremist then that's what it means.  If enough people interpret it that way then that's what it means.  ****** used to mean a bundle of firewood.  If you call someone that word now who thinks for even one moment that it means firewood?  Nobody. 

I never knew that either. Interesting. When the fan was banned from Wrigley. The Cubs never got the fan's side of the story on what his intent was.

They just mailed him a letter stating he was banned for life from the park. I'm sure a lot of people don't know that White Supremacy has been tied

to the symbol and think of it as just the OK/Circle Game sign. Hell, I didn't know it until I read the article about a fan being banned for flashing the symbol.

7 minutes ago, Hawken said:

I never knew that either. Interesting. When the fan was banned from Wrigley. The Cubs never got the fan's side of the story on what his intent was.

They just mailed him a letter stating he was banned for life from the park. I'm sure a lot of people don't know that White Supremacy has been tied

to the symbol and think of it as just the OK/Circle Game sign. Hell, I didn't know it until I read the article about a fan being banned for flashing the symbol.

And just what do you suppose he was okay with, holding the okay symbol inverted at his waist?  "Hey dude, you're doing a really okay job at announcing the game Mr. Black Guy" Give me a break.  This case is pretty obvious.

To re-iterate.. the symbol.. for about 30 years .. has meant " one who m********es" in the UK and Europe. And Japan. And the Federated States of Micronesia. 

Hmmm... OK.. that word is banned by the profanity filter. 

I mean.. a Mastur Bater 

This meaning has been prelevant for at least 30 years. 

Incidently, physical symbols like this are FREQUENTLY used in tribal sports games. 

Except.. suddenly.. this is a "White Power" symbol ? 

I am deeply skeptical. 

Edited by RoofGardener
  • Like 1

12 minutes ago, RoofGardener said:

To re-iterate.. the symbol.. for about 30 years .. has meant " one who m********es" in the UK and Europe. And Japan. And the Federated States of Micronesia. 

Hmmm... OK.. that word is banned by the profanity filter. 

I mean.. a Mastur Bater 

This meaning has been prelevant for at least 30 years. 

Incidently, physical symbols like this are FREQUENTLY used in tribal sports games. 

Except.. suddenly.. this is a "White Power" symbol ? 

I am deeply skeptical. 

Thank you!!! I hate it when something so innocent is suddenly considered sinister. People get killed over such foolishness.

This subject ought to get more interesting over time.  It's well known that hand symbols mean different things in different countries around the world.  As we become ever more diverse with no emphasis on assimilation we will see more hand signs that mean one thing in America and completely different things to the recent immigrant who is using it.  And vice-versa.  How many minorities will charge discrimination, racial intimidation and various other slurs when they encounter innocent hand symbols that mean something different to them?  That doesn't even take into account old farts like me who are not up on the latest slang either spoken or signed.  I had no idea until reading this thread that the OK sign meant different things based on the orientation of the hand.  I could have used it innocently and been pilloried as a racist especially since I'm white.  I know it's probably too much to wish for, but the best solution would be for everyone to grow a little thicker skin and just ignore things they don't like.

3 hours ago, OverSword said:

And just what do you suppose he was okay with, holding the okay symbol inverted at his waist?  "Hey dude, you're doing a really okay job at announcing the game Mr. Black Guy" Give me a break.  This case is pretty obvious.

I'm confident if the reporter was a white guy nobody would have made a big deal of it or gave it notice.

Some people just thrive on confrontation because it gives them a sense of empowerment.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Hawken said:

I'm confident if the reporter was a white guy nobody would have made a big deal of it or gave it notice.

Some people just thrive on confrontation because it gives them a sense of empowerment.

I’m confident the guy wouldn’t have thrown the sign if the reporter was a white guy. The dude probably thought he was funny and then lost what looks like pretty nice season tickets. Looks like they were right next to the dugout. Tickets like that can take years of season ticket ownership to earn your way up to. The MLB doesn’t mess around, I know people who have been refused entry for their t-shirt.