Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Russia's oldest man dies aged 123

Eldorado

"A man claimed to be the oldest in the world has died allegedly aged 123.

"Appaz Iliev, a father of eight, had been working since he was seven, when he was sent into the hills alone.

"He fought for the Red Army in the Russian Civil War 1917-22, it is claimed."

Full story at the UK Metro: https://metro.co.uk/2019/05/14/man-claimed-oldest-world-dies-aged-123-9526650/?

At the Daily Sabah (Turkey): https://www.dailysabah.com/life/2019/05/11/russias-oldest-man-dies-aged-123

• Like 2

• The title was changed to Russia's oldest man dies aged 123

Bit hard to believe the age, difficult to imagine anyone who could remember the 19th century would be still going.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Habitat said:

Bit hard to believe the age, difficult to imagine anyone who could remember the 19th century would be still going.

I would like to believe it, but my maternal ancestors came from that part of the world and I know how easy it was to get forged documents during the bad times.  I take all the news coming out of Russia with a grain of salt since Putin has undermined journalism so completely over there.  Putin's firehose of falsehood

• Like 4

4 hours ago, Alchopwn said:

know how easy it was to get forged documents during the bad times

My granddad's sister is in good health and still very communicative (to the point that some relatives avoid her, but it's mostly humor not real runs :D). In her childhood it was often that people were born and officially signed in books only 5 or even 10 years later.

She might be 97 now but it could be that she is 94 or 100 years old, because she is not really sure :D

So it doesn't have to be because of forged documents. That was simply the way things were and i believe not just in my country but also elsewhere, especially in remote villages etc.

• Like 3

My dad had to get my grandfather a certificate of live birth in the 80's in order to do his taxes. They tracked down his baptism registry and used that, assuming he was baptised several days after being born at home. 

• Like 2

Regardless of his age i hope he rests in peace. 

But who knows he probably was 123 years of age.

• Like 1