Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Your WhatsApp could be watching you

Eldorado

"A vulnerability in messaging app WhatsApp allowed attackers to install spyware onto phones, the Financial Times reported Monday.

"The malicious code, developed by Israeli company NSO Group, was installed on both iPhones and Android phones through the app's phone call feature, the newspaper reported.

"The spyware could be transmitted even if the target victim didn't answer their phone, and the calls often disappeared from users' call logs."

Full heads-up at cNet: https://www.cnet.com/news/whatsapp-vulnerability-reportedly-allowed-spyware-attack/

UK Daily Telegraph report: https://www.telegraph.co.uk/technology/2019/05/14/whatsapp-flaw-allowed-israeli-hackers-snoop-phones/

• Like 2

Once again another reason I'm staying with my flip phone and landline. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

Just now, Piney said:

I've been toying with the flip phone idea as well lately. I have a GPS I could keep in the truck for maps but I have to decide if I can live without certain apps that require a smart phone. Other than that, i use my phone primarily as a phone.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Dark_Grey said:

I've been toying with the flip phone idea as well lately. I have a GPS I could keep in the truck for maps but I have to decide if I can live without certain apps that require a smart phone. Other than that, i use my phone primarily as a phone.

I use a map and compass and been toying with a piece of  Icelandic spar for cloudy days rather than use a compass. I've had to go after too many people with malfunctioning GPSs so I never bothered with them. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Piney said:

I use a map and compass and been toying with a piece of  Icelandic spar for cloudy days rather than use a compass. I've had to go after too many people with malfunctioning GPSs so I never bothered with them. 

I had to look up "icelandic spar" - very cool. 

Iceland spar is a clear, transparent, colorless crystallized variety of calcite (calcium carbonate, CaCO3). ... Recently, Iceland spar has been in the news because of new research that shows that this mineral was almost certainly used by the Vikings for navigation.

How do cloudy days affect your compass? (My millennial upbringing is really showing here lol)

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, Dark_Grey said:

How do cloudy days affect your compass? (My millennial upbringing is really showing here lol)

It doesn't. I'd just rather not use it. I only use it on cloudy days when I can't get a bearing from the sun. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I don't do whattsapp or facebook  and now i no longer do twitter after getting grief and agro also my old mobile is turnred off in the glove box of the car incase i need it 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, Matt221 said:

I don't do whattsapp or facebook  and now i no longer do twitter after getting grief and agro also my old mobile is turnred off in the glove box of the car incase i need it 

My flip phone sits in my desk drawer uncharged unless I need it. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Matt221 said:

We keep all our old phones in a box downstairs. Opening it up is like browsing through a technology museum: 5+ generations of cell phones and cell phone chargers. I almost booted up my old Nokia E71 just on principle. It's one of my favorite phones I've owned and I think it still looks great

nokia-e71-full-1.jpg

• Like 1

Well, I don't have WhatsUp or this Instamatic thing or FaceTwitter or all these things they have now, but there are some things that are actually useful. Not that that I'm particularly concerned whether the Israelis or the Chinese or the Russians might be able to track what I do and say (if the Israeli government wants to know my opinion of them I'm only too happy to share it). For that matter, if the NSA or the CIA wish to know my opinion of the current US Government, then again, I'd be happy to share it. 

Anybody have the problem that WhatsApp won't allow you to delete it form their phone?

Because I do. I want it gone and it won't let me get rid of it.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Dark_Grey said:

We keep all our old phones in a box downstairs. Opening it up is like browsing through a technology museum: 5+ generations of cell phones and cell phone chargers. I almost booted up my old Nokia E71 just on principle. It's one of my favorite phones I've owned and I think it still looks great

nokia-e71-full-1.jpg

i still got my very first phone in the loft its got a massive battery that you  and the phone is the size of a brick,then i went really hi-tech and got one fitted in the pick up which was still as bigbut i looked cook in a 4x4 nissan and a car phone lol then i got a Bt mobile then the usual nokias blackberrys now its an old samsung

the phone itself is a device to communicate, just dial the number and call,  or text, why bother with apps?  if i did not have to have a phone with emails for work i would have simple flip phone, i wish i could still get startak, i loved that  phone

• Thanks 1

21 hours ago, Piney said:

Gibbs, Gibbs, Gibbs.....

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Dont mean to cause a stir but it might be Sting and the police who's watching.

"Every single day every word you say  every game you play every night you stay I' LL BE WATCHING YOU "

• Sad 1

I don't even know what it is so I think I'm okay on this one...

• Haha 1

On Tue May 14 2019 at 9:17 PM, Dumbledore the Awesome said:

Well, I don't have WhatsUp or this Instamatic thing or FaceTwitter or all these things they have now, but there are some things that are actually useful. Not that that I'm particularly concerned whether the Israelis or the Chinese or the Russians might be able to track what I do and say (if the Israeli government wants to know my opinion of them I'm only too happy to share it). For that matter, if the NSA or the CIA wish to know my opinion of the current US Government, then again, I'd be happy to share it. 

These days it's not knowing your opinions that these guys are after but it's shaping your opinion. 

I had another odd one yesterday.

I had a conversation about buying something but my PC, monitor, and mobile phone were all turned off. Then when I was searching on Google later that day I noticed several adverts for the item appearing.

I`m not convinced my mobile phone is turned off when its turned off.

On 14/05/2019 at 3:20 PM, Dark_Grey said:

nokia-e71-full-1.jpg

Yes, that's the beauty of outdated technology. They have actual buttons you can press. Actual buttons you can press are so much more fun. it's the tactile pleasure. Even better if they light up ^_^

17 hours ago, RabidMongoose said:

I had another odd one yesterday.

I had a conversation about buying something but my PC, monitor, and mobile phone were all turned off. Then when I was searching on Google later that day I noticed several adverts for the item appearing.

I`m not convinced my mobile phone is turned off when its turned off.

I've often thought about something, like a song or something, or heard it on the radio, and then lo and behold next time on YouTube, there it is! I'm not convinced they're not using mind reading technology. <_<

Edited by Dumbledore the Awesome

10 minutes ago, Dumbledore the Awesome said:

I've often thought about something, like a song or something, or heard it on the radio, and then lo and behold next time on YouTube, there it is! I'm not convinced they're not using mind reading technology. <_<

I think thats something weird going on with how reality is structured.

Odd coincidences happen all the time, if we are prepared to admit they do.

• 1 month later...

I just removed WhatsApp from my phone last week tbh.  I don't use it and the only reason I downloaded and installed it in the first place was because my son's basketball coach said get it as we have a WhatsApp group on there for the team.  

I don't use it to text or make calls or anything else.  The basketball group only announced the game times is all which was just as easily looked up online through the website. Was a complete waste of time in my case :lol: