Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Stanton Friedman Has Passed

susieice

Stanton Friedman passed away Monday night 5/13. He was returning from a speaking engagement in Ohio and died at Toronto Pearson Airport. He was 84 years old.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/new-brunswick/stanton-friedman-ufologist-dead-1.5135588

It's in Canadian news but nothing in US news.

https://www.citynews1130.com/2019/05/14/famed-ufo-researcher-stanton-friedman-dead-after-half-century-of-lectures/

Edited by susieice
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 3

Yes I read about that on his fb page. He had some compelling ideas on ufos. RIP Stan.

• Like 2

I'm sorry to learn of Stanton Friedman's passing. Years ago he took the time to answer a probably naive-seeming question I asked him. This was by postal mail, mind you, long before routine use of the internet made such things relatively quick and easy.

He did real work in advanced aviation and rocketry, later turning to the UFO field, which he regarded as highly important, scientifically. In this he continued courageously, and with great persistence, along the path blazed by rocketry pioneer Dr. Hermann Oberth.

His warning about not doing 'research by proclamation', but really digging into the records and the data, will continue to be valuable council from here on out.

Edited by bison
  • Like 5

while i far from agreed with him on everything he was a blind true believer about i did like how he went at it like a tenacious bulldog which you gotta do to do a good job, so i did respect him.

i am sad he devoted his life to proving alien life visits earth and he never accomplished that goal, my well wished do go out to his family and loved ones,

he will be missed by people he never knew he touched.

• Like 5

Stanton was the first person I reached out to in 2009 when my sister, her kids and myself saw something fairly close that we're still not able to explain. I won't comment on the rest of his work, but he was very helpful and showed genuine interest in what we saw and even offered up possible alternative explanations, not once insinuating that it must've been aliens...LOL. He referred me to Bruce Mackabee, whose only conclusion was that the photos weren't doctored. Already knew that, of course, but that's about as far as we got. Still, I respect the man and his objectivity examining my case, as it were. 

I'll miss him.

• Like 5

Seemingly a nice and intelligent man but misguided IMHO. I think a lot of it was wishful thinking, much like those of us who really want to see something found on Oak Island but he managed to make a career out of it. My sincere condolences to his family.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

yes, mr Friedman was a wishful thinker, "we are the music makers, we are the dreamers of the dreams"

sure he said things i didnt agree with but i liked his statement i paraphase,

im not saying all UFOs in the sky are alien craft that would be ridiculous im asking are any?

• Like 2

Not a believer but I was always interested in what he had to say. He was entertaining and knowledgeable about many things it seemed. 

• Like 2

Sorry to hear of his passing. He was an interesting man.

• Like 2

Wow, condelences to all the friends and family of Stan Friedman. "Not science by proclamation!" was one of his statements for UFO researchers. He was right about that. You can't prove something without investigating, not just armchair statements, as many of us here sometimes do debating what UFO's actually are. He will be missed by the community and hopefully spurs more to do serious investigative research into UFO's and UFO phenomena, even if they're some natural phenomena like earth sprites, etc.

• Like 2

:( my most sincere condolences :( he's from my hometown ... makes me so sad :( so brilliant and very interesting

• Like 3

He was a true believer and i think he was really loving it. Rest in peace ! Would be a good candidate to get is ashes in orbit !

• Like 2

aw b*****! 

He was a good one.

Rest well Sir.

• Like 1

Sorry to hear of anyone passing.

I'd like to be able to give a crap but I don't. I don't think his contributions amounted to didly squat. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, psyche101 said:

Sorry to hear of anyone passing.

I'd like to be able to give a crap but I don't. I don't think his contributions amounted to didly squat. 

ouch,

i cant help but like some of the guys i didnt agree with like krantz was one,

i want to believe sometimes these guys get so caught up in being a dear true believer they step in poo and track it on a new white carpet then ego is all in the way, kind of like when clinton swore he didnt have sex with that girl, he knew the world knew he did but he had to try to save face,

i imagine it would be very tough to be a big name like Friedman and have to admit you were wrong.

On 15/05/2019 at 2:30 AM, the13bats said:

while i far from agreed with him on everything he was a blind true believer

he probably didn't believe= or should i rephrase:

he probably couldn't care either way... just earned money from it all

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Dejarma said:

he probably didn't believe= or should i rephrase:

he probably couldn't care either way... just earned money from it all

i would like to imagine he believed or i will rephrase too and say did care about what he did but i see too many only care about the $$$

4 minutes ago, the13bats said:

i would like to imagine he believed or i will rephrase too and say did care about what he did but i see too many only care about the $$$

i don't care if he really believed or not= why would i? what does it matter? he still earned a ton of cash via the ufo/ aliens on this planet subject

• Like 1

i dont know that a "care" in any deep personal emotional way about any of it but i can respect a person even one i disagree with across the board if i think they are being true to themselves, i dont have any respect for those i see as ego driven attention junkies all about look at me, pay me...friedman didnt give me that vibe meldrum is an example of one that does.

Edited by the13bats

6 minutes ago, the13bats said:

but i can respect a person even one i disagree with across the board if i think they are being true to themselves

you'll never know for a fact that someone is being true to themselves

9 minutes ago, Dejarma said:

you'll never know for a fact that someone is being true to themselves

as a fact? perhaps not, and i am likely duped but my feel on it is good enough for me,

Liked the man, hope you find the truth amongst the stars

Edited by godnodog
text correction
  • Like 1

On 5/18/2019 at 4:28 AM, the13bats said:

ouch,

I'd be a hypocrite otherwise. While he was alive I did not find any of his contributions noteworthy and felt he undermined critical thinking. 

i cant help but like some of the guys i didnt agree with like krantz was one,

Yeah but Krantz was a scientist. Friedman claimed to one long after he left the field. I found that dishonest using an appeal to authority like that. Krantz continued to write papers and face skeptics all the way through. Friedman didn't. He picked soft targets. I remember some of the believer posters here contacting him in the past and he told them not to talk to anyone skeptical and made skepticism put to be a bad thing. I didn't think he was a good role model for anyone. I'd agree with you on Krantz but not so much Friedman. 

i want to believe sometimes these guys get so caught up in being a dear true believer they step in poo and track it on a new white carpet then ego is all in the way, kind of like when clinton swore he didnt have sex with that girl, he knew the world knew he did but he had to try to save face,

i imagine it would be very tough to be a big name like Friedman and have to admit you were wrong.

Indeed, but wouldn't that offer such an individual even less integrity? Preying on the 37%?

• Like 1