Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -
Eldorado

San Francisco bans facial recognition tech

11 posts in this topic

Eldorado
Posted (edited)

"The city of San Francisco approved an ordinance on Tuesday barring the police department and other city agencies from using facial recognition technology on residents.

"It's the first such ban of the technology in the country.

"The ordinance, which passed by a vote of 8 to 1, also creates a process for the police department to disclose what surveillance technology they use, such as license plate readers and cell-site simulators that can track residents' movements over time. But it singles out facial recognition as too harmful to residents' civil liberties to even consider using."

Full report at cNet: https://www.cnet.com/news/san-francisco-becomes-first-city-to-bar-police-from-using-facial-recognition/

At the BBC: https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-48276660

The Ordinance in PDF at SF dot Gov: https://sfgov.legistar.com/View.ashx?M=F&ID=7012636&GUID=7864F4B2-4121-4379-B6AD-8F406C2F6547

Edited by Eldorado
  • Haha 1

and then

Can't have a database for rounding up the illegals, can we?  :w00t:  Poor, wee unfortunates might be held to account for criminal activity and we CAN'T have THAT, can we?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

and then

On a more serious note, I actually agree with the idea of limiting the surveillance state.  I just think the rationale, in this case, is probably back-asswards...

aztek

yea because it is not reliable.  

• Like 3

and then
20 minutes ago, aztek said:

yea because it is not reliable.  

That particular system, today, but I wouldn't bet against the ability of the technology in the future.  

• Like 1

aztek
8 minutes ago, and then said:

That particular system, today, but I wouldn't bet against the ability of the technology in the future.  

i'm pretty sure in future it will

• Like 1

South Alabam

All Trump needs to say is he agrees "one hundred percent with San Fransisco, great city, I agree one hundred percent on the ban." And then they would slap it up so fast heads would spin.

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

RoofGardener

What - exactly - are they afraid of ? 

RavenHawk
3 hours ago, and then said:

Can't have a database for rounding up the illegals, can we?  :w00t:  Poor, wee unfortunates might be held to account for criminal activity and we CAN'T have THAT, can we?

That is the only reason SanFran defeated having facial recognition.  To protect illegals.  The Police are pretty much inept at protecting legal residents as it is.

• Thanks 2

and then
34 minutes ago, RoofGardener said:

What - exactly - are they afraid of ? 

Honestly?  I'd bet a LOT that it's exactly what I referred to.  They realize that a database of "resident" identities would be created as a matter of course and some court might give access to it in the future to find and evict non-citizens.

• Like 1

Dark_Grey
Posted (edited)
23 hours ago, and then said:

Honestly?  I'd bet a LOT that it's exactly what I referred to.  They realize that a database of "resident" identities would be created as a matter of course and some court might give access to it in the future to find and evict non-citizens.

Same reason Police forces in certain Liberal places are forbidden from recording race when documenting crimes: "manufactured reality". Trump is a Nazi, abortion should be celebrated, boys are girls, down is up, war is peace, freedom is slavery. Welcome to Clown World.

Spoiler

Honk honk!

Edited by Dark_Grey
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1